2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 18 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #171
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohuigin View Post
You guys are getting some fantastic numbers. I've only just broken 200 miles on mine, and my average MPG is only 24.3, but I've been in a lot of freeway traffic, and slow city driving. I'm sure that the numbers will improve soon. I am driving this car in with an eco approach, and today this showed up on my mini display! First car to ever give me a trophy!

-B
Nice!!!!!!!!

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #172
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
Okay, I have to correct myself. The other night I coasted down some hills close to where I live both with the car in N and D. Each time I reset the fuel economy right before I took my foot of the brake and started downhill. What I found out was that I actually got 1 mpg better when in D. I wouldn't have believed it unless I did it myself. I kept the same speed for both runs. It's a twisty 25 mph road and about 1.6 miles long. In N I got 38 mpg and in D I got 39.1 mpg.

Tony
Hey, thanks for running that test. I was thinking of trying the same thing but I think I'll just take your word for it and not fool with the neutral coast. I like shooting for good MPG but am not really the hypermiler type anyway.

Tony, did you ever get your remote start working (and if yes, do you have to restart like the rest of us?)

Also, I took a 20 miles of flat interstate to Costo yesterday resetting the MPG as I entered the freeway and set cruise control at 67. As I coasted into the parking lot, the meter read 41.1 MPG. So, this thing IS capable of very good HWY mileage.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #173
CFed28
Banned

Fan#: 66798
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Hatchback SE

FF Reputation: 5 CFed28 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Something wrong here? I havent hit over 30mpg. I drive on the highway almost everyday to school which is about 12 miles away then I go to providence every weekend and thats around 1hr and a half. Highest Ive hit was 28.5 going at normal speed.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #174
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
Hey, thanks for running that test. I was thinking of trying the same thing but I think I'll just take your word for it and not fool with the neutral coast. I like shooting for good MPG but am not really the hypermiler type anyway.

Tony, did you ever get your remote start working (and if yes, do you have to restart like the rest of us?)
Yes, the remote start works just fine now and yes, when I open the door the engine shuts off & I have to re-start. Not ideal, but I'm okay with that.

Tony
Old 06-06-2011, 01:05 PM   #175
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFed28 View Post
Something wrong here? I havent hit over 30mpg. I drive on the highway almost everyday to school which is about 12 miles away then I go to providence every weekend and thats around 1hr and a half. Highest Ive hit was 28.5 going at normal speed.
I've been noticing an unusual amount of variance between our cars and I haven't really figured it out. Most of the time when I buy a new car and I become a new forum member it seems like there's a general consensus as to what kind of mileage everyone's getting (within reason). But with the new Focus is seems like our individual mpgs are all over the place.

I myself have not been able to get over 22 in the city and 32 on the hwy. All this 40+ mpg stuff has me a little concerned. Even if my mileage is supposed to increase after a few thousand miles, it doesn't explain why some of you have been getting 40+ after only a few hundred miles.

Are those of you close to the 40 mpg mark using supreme? I've heard that this makes a difference although it sounds suspicious to me.

Tony
Old 06-06-2011, 01:33 PM   #176
layla1153
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86203
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus

FF Reputation: 1 layla1153 Good Standing Member
We have 1600 miles and get 23mpg, all city, consistently now for 5 fill ups.
I did put it on the hwy (reset trip) and after 10 miles at 64mph the comp said i was averaging 39.2. So city driving our car takes a hit in mileage. But hwy looks doable.
Our window sticker small print said "from 23mpg to whatever :)

standard unleaded.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #177
Fleetwood158
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86515
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Fleetwood158 Good Standing Member
Humidity makes a big difference!

I achieved 48.5 mpg on my commute to work this morning!!! My Focus is the Titanium model with the 18" sport wheel package.

Please note, this average was obtained over my 18 mile stretch of fairly flat highway. I reset the average just after the on ramp. I'm located in Houston, TX - The temperature yesterday 105f, and it was extremely humid this morning! Speed was kept between 55 - 62 mph. (60 mph speed limits = great gas mileage!)

Of course I can't achieve averages like this for an entire tank. (Yet...) My best tank of gas to date, just commuting back and forth to work, has been 35.3. :-)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:46 PM   #178
Fleetwood158
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 86515
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Fleetwood158 Good Standing Member
E-85?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony407 View Post
Are those of you close to the 40 mpg mark using supreme? I've heard that this makes a difference although it sounds suspicious to me.

Tony
It is my understanding that any gas above regular unleaded is entirely unnecessary - the engine is built to run a lifetime on regular (and E-85!).

I am curious if anyone has tried E-85 yet?!? I want to make sure my engine is well broken in before I use it, but it is tempting when it is always 50-75 cents less/gallon!
Old 06-06-2011, 03:47 PM   #179
lrbr30022
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85804
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 lrbr30022 Good Standing Member
I am not surprised to see the difference in numbers. That is probably why Ford puts on the window sticker a range. We all drive so differently. I currently get over 30 mpg (mostly city) on my MINI so am hoping to achieve better on my Focus. But since I won't be doing the shifting, we will see if the car does better than me.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:51 PM   #180
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood158 View Post
It is my understanding that any gas above regular unleaded is entirely unnecessary - the engine is built to run a lifetime on regular (and E-85!).

I am curious if anyone has tried E-85 yet?!? I want to make sure my engine is well broken in before I use it, but it is tempting when it is always 50-75 cents less/gallon!
E85 is not supported on the 2012 Focus, it's "late availablity" right now. Don't put E85 gas in a Ford vehicle unless it has the "yellow" ring around the fuel filler.

Bookmarks & Social Networks