2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 15 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-31-2011, 12:08 AM   #141
redav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86142
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow Mazda

FF Reputation: 1 redav Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiskySeven View Post
Next tank by digital readout (was reset at fillup...just like last time): 37.2mpg
- Shifted in to N on all off ramps/down hills. MAKES BIG DIFFERENCE!
I found in other cars that taking it out of gear to coast makes a huge difference (I saw ~10% real-world mpg improvement). I used an OBD-II computer to check fuel consumption using various coast-down techniques. The car has a fuel shut-off for part of the coasting process, but I got better results just taking it out of gear because it eliminated the internal drag slowing the car down.
However, in most places it is illegal to do this on downhills. (I don't know how anyone would get a ticket for it, but I assume it has something to do with safety.)
I also suspect that doing this repeatedly over the life of a car causes unexpected damage to the transmission. I have a car that I used to shift into N, but it started developing transmission issues & check engine lights. Was taking it out of gear the cause? I have no idea, and probably will never know, but now I'm inclined to not do it since a single transmission fix pays for a lot of gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2011, 11:07 AM   #142
azgsa
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86056
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze SE Sport hatch

FF Reputation: 1 azgsa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNab View Post
I think my favorite thing thus far about the cruise control is that when I hit resume, the car doesn't drop into a super low gear and hard accelerate its way back to speed. This focus accelerates at a modest pace and it allows me to use my cruise for almost all driving situations. I've never had a car make me such a careful driver until this one, I am in love with it.
I feel the same way. It's a nice car to just drive really reasonably, I think the quietness helps with that. Also, the CC is so precise in this car. When you set it at 60 the speedo says exactly 60 and each touch up/down of the accel/decel is exactly 1mph. Very nice CC.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM   #143
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa View Post
I feel the same way. It's a nice car to just drive really reasonably, I think the quietness helps with that. Also, the CC is so precise in this car. When you set it at 60 the speedo says exactly 60 and each touch up/down of the accel/decel is exactly 1mph. Very nice CC.
I put my center display in test mode (most of the readouts I have no idea what they are) and one of the modes is a digital MPH display. It matched up dead on with the analog speedometer with the cruise on and off.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:19 PM   #144
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012silversel View Post
I put my center display in test mode (most of the readouts I have no idea what they are) and one of the modes is a digital MPH display. It matched up dead on with the analog speedometer with the cruise on and off.
Ok, now I am curious, how do you put the car into test mode.

thanking you in advance
Old 05-31-2011, 08:41 PM   #145
2012silversel
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83969
What I Drive: 2014 C-Max Energi, Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 2012silversel Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by e350 coupe View Post
Ok, now I am curious, how do you put the car into test mode.
1. On the left side steering wheel controls hold OK button and the right arrow button at the same time for approx. 5 seconds.

2. Put the key in the ignition and turn to start, continue to hold the OK and right arrow buttons until the display changes to test mode. (I don't know what you have to do with a Ti push button start, maybe just press the start button).

3. You are now in Test Mode.

Use either the up or down arrow (I don't remember which one) to cycle through the different test screens. Shut the car off and restart to return to normal operation. It's pretty cool all the different tests. The MPH readout is about half way through.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #146
RustyPonds
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84824
What I Drive: Grey 2012 Focus Ti Hatchback w/Nav

FF Reputation: 1 RustyPonds Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012silversel View Post
Yeah, Digital MPH seems like a standard feature they should have. Used to it in other cars. I dug around for 20 minutes trying to find it. I was sure I was just missing something.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:06 AM   #147
Targon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81074
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SEL 5-door

FF Reputation: 2 Targon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPonds View Post
Yeah, Digital MPH seems like a standard feature they should have. Used to it in other cars. I dug around for 20 minutes trying to find it. I was sure I was just missing something.
I have found that my speedometer is 1mph off when I test it with my standalone GPS. 61mph as shown by speedometer(and cruise control) is really 62mph in real speed. Close enough, but it IS consistent no matter what speed I am going.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #148
twoplus2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84269
What I Drive: '12 Kona Blue Focus Titantium Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 twoplus2 Good Standing Member
So far i am getting

7.3L/100km in city and 4.8-5.3L/100km on highway.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #149
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhiaFan View Post
Are you sure current mpg is not in the menu?
Positive. Went through the manual, all the menu's myself and asked the dealer. It displays 'average since the last reset'
Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #150
BiggerBoat
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85913
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 BiggerBoat Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBNab View Post
Tuxedo Black Titanium with 18" 5-spoke alloys, the options I am missing are the parking package, heated seats, and maps for MFT.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Can I ask what situation gave you this 43MPG reading? 50 MPH tail wind?? My Titanium has not gone above 34, even after setting cruise at 65 on a flat highway (and doing a reset on the MPG meter). I see you have only 502 miles so the break-in argument doesn't appear to be an issue for you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks