2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 131 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #1301
BrApple
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95810
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE HB

Points 554, Level 11
Points: 554, Level: 11 Points: 554, Level: 11 Points: 554, Level: 11
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 BrApple Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Well, to state the obvious, the warmer (relatively) weather and driving more highway miles had made a difference.

I did note that on two recent trips up and back Rt 95 in CT running on a tank of 89 the display said 36 mpg average and with a tank of 87 the display said 34 mpg average. The weather both times was about the same.

- 2k Contour SVT - #2137
- 12 Impreza 2.0i Premium - CVT
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2013, 01:15 AM   #1302
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 65326
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Focus Ti Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 macatron Good Standing Member
Ok, I'm really curious how so many of you are able to achieve high 30s and low 40s regarding mpg. With my 2012 SEL (with just over 20k on the ticker) I'm getting a consistent 33mpg during my 100 mile daily commute (round trip) by setting the cruise at 66mph (running 87 octane). Now, granted, I'm not saying that 33mpg is terrible mileage by any means; I'm just curious as to why I'm not seeing a higher number (like the advertised 37mpg highway). I keep my tires at 36psi and the only mods I've added is a K&N dropin filter and I just started running Amsoil last weekend. I've had the K&N filter for about 5,000 miles, so far, and I did notice a little bump in mileage from before adding it. I had really good luck gaining mileage with running Amsoil in my 2009 Focus (a 3mpg increase), so I'm hoping to have the same luck with my new one. So, with that being said, does anyone have any feedback or suggestions for my low numbers. Thanks in advance for any help! :D
Old 04-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #1303
OPsDad
Focus Addict

Fan#: 108661
What I Drive: 2014 Fusion Titanium AWD Moonroof

FF Reputation: 2 OPsDad Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I really don't know what to say, other than my report of 38-ish was ALL highway (except the 1/10th of a mile each way on and off the interstate to fuel up). Mileage goes down fast on a focus with city driving. Really fast. If your 100-mile commute includes even 4 or 5 miles of city, there you have your 33. Just my own opinion, but I think it's at minimum and informed opinion.
SR #265 | "Quia currus certatus, inferius"
13 Focus Ti Sedan w/Handling Pkg, MFT Sony 10 NAV, Leather
13 Focus SE HB Sterling Grey, 201A, Leather
06 F350 6.0L DRW King Ranch, Sunroof, Rhino Bed Liner, 4" MBRP Turbo Back, AirRaid, Edge Chip w/Pyro
Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #1304
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPsDad View Post
I really don't know what to say, other than my report of 38-ish was ALL highway (except the 1/10th of a mile each way on and off the interstate to fuel up). Mileage goes down fast on a focus with city driving. Really fast. If your 100-mile commute includes even 4 or 5 miles of city, there you have your 33. Just my own opinion, but I think it's at minimum and informed opinion.
Well, I do have a little bit of city driving, so that's definitely something to consider. Although, my wife drove my Focus down to Baltimore from Connecticut to visit me on a business trip (which is WAY more than 50 miles one way), and she never saw over 33mpg either. I just don't get it. According to Fuely, though, 33mpg seems to be the national average, so maybe I'm not too far off of where I technically should be for this car. But, I'm not going to lie, I'd LOVE to see some higher numbers (who wouldn't).
Old 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #1305
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
straight hwy @70mph i get 38mpg, if i keep hwy speed to 65mph i get 41 (last two hwy tanks). (best ever hwy 44mpg)
around town w/ frequent very short trips : winter 23-25mpg/ summer 25-28mpg
mixed driving gets a pretty consistent 33mpgs...
no complaints at all....
Old 04-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #1306
Black stick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100103
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black, manual

Points 160, Level 3
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Black stick Good Standing Member
I commute 200 miles and with the manual it is possible to see 40mpg (US) if speed is around 60mph, there is no wind and temps are above freezing. Wind can pull this down to 34, depending on the wind direction and speed. I average around 36 mpg. This is with almost no city driving.
My old commute was 20 miles and had 20% urban driving - I averaged 33 mpg.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #1307
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
straight hwy @70mph i get 38mpg, if i keep hwy speed to 65mph i get 41 (last two hwy tanks). (best ever hwy 44mpg)
around town w/ frequent very short trips : winter 23-25mpg/ summer 25-28mpg
mixed driving gets a pretty consistent 33mpgs...
no complaints at all....
Whoa! I'd LOVE to see anything even close to those numbers (especially since you're running at 70mph)!! That's just crazy. How many miles of straight highway do you need to drive in order to achieve these numbers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black stick View Post
I commute 200 miles and with the manual it is possible to see 40mpg (US) if speed is around 60mph, there is no wind and temps are above freezing. Wind can pull this down to 34, depending on the wind direction and speed. I average around 36 mpg. This is with almost no city driving.
My old commute was 20 miles and had 20% urban driving - I averaged 33 mpg.
Interesting, so are you saying that you've been seeing your best mileage running at 60mph? If that's the case I'll gladly drop my speed down 5mph!
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 PM   #1308
2012Focus2012
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97899
What I Drive: 2014,Ingot Silver, Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 2012Focus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by macatron View Post
Whoa! I'd LOVE to see anything even close to those numbers (especially since you're running at 70mph)!! That's just crazy. How many miles of straight highway do you need to drive in order to achieve these numbers?

50 miles and I can see 38mpg easily. My car has the SFE pkg but even with SFE expected mpg is rated only 2 mpg higher than a car without SFE.

Interesting, so are you saying that you've been seeing your best mileage running at 60mph? If that's the case I'll gladly drop my speed down 5mph!
My commuting is combined with highway and stop and go traffic. The more I drive highway the mileage goes up to an average 33 to 38 but will drop dramatically by driving more in stop and go city driving to an average of 29 to 32. I don't drive over 70 mph, don't punch it from a stop and if possible minimize braking in traffic and let the engine slow down the car as much as possible.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #1309
Black stick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100103
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo black, manual

Points 160, Level 3
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Black stick Good Standing Member
39 mpg over 94 miles this afternoon, running at 60mph or slightly less, with very little wind. Tire pressure at 39lbs and running standard tires on standard steel wheels. I think the bigger wheel sizes negatively impact fuel economy.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #1310
macatron
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black stick View Post
39 mpg over 94 miles this afternoon, running at 60mph or slightly less, with very little wind. Tire pressure at 39lbs and running standard tires on standard steel wheels. I think the bigger wheel sizes negatively impact fuel economy.
Well, I slowed it down to 60mph (from my usual 65), and I managed to hit 34mpg today (up from 33). I'll give this lower speed a shot for a few weeks to see how my mileage fares, and report back once I get some more data. :D Thanks for all the replies everyone! :)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.