2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 124 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #1231
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,103, Level 40
Points: 4,103, Level: 40 Points: 4,103, Level: 40 Points: 4,103, Level: 40
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
12 focus SEL automatic, i have been averaging about 31 mpg i live in SOcal and drive on 405 everyday. I try to avoid traffic as best i can, but end up prob about 35% city and rest frwy. 405 can be trafficy but i am happy so far with the milage. I have not gone on any long trips yet. I only have about 1300 miles on the car so far. Hopefully it improves more! i will be putting on a magnaflow exhaust system as well.
Driving almost anywhere in Socal can be a nightmare and terrible for mileage so 31mpg is probably as good as it's going to get for you until you get away and can cruise for extended periods...

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 05:05 PM   #1232
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

Points 3,289, Level 35
Points: 3,289, Level: 35 Points: 3,289, Level: 35 Points: 3,289, Level: 35
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Driving almost anywhere in Socal can be a nightmare and terrible for mileage so 31mpg is probably as good as it's going to get for you until you get away and can cruise for extended periods...

Brian
Yea well i have kinda of adjusted. I drive at 615am to gym which is halfway to work to avoid morning traffic, then after work i go to play bball until traffic dies down. generally no traffic on the way home. In the mornings still hit a little traffic, but generally i avoid the really slow bumper to bumper traffic. lol. but yea driving to the valley from redondo beach and back M-F def sucks lol.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 08:33 PM   #1233
Krod_ManDoon
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103859
What I Drive: '12 Tuxedo Black Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 Krod_ManDoon Good Standing Member
My best mileage so far is 43.3 but that is just side road cruising at 35-45MPH. Highway I'm getting anywhere from 32-35 depending on how late I am to work that day.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #1234
Beeten
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94225
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE Hatch, 5MT

FF Reputation: 1 Beeten Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
The Mk3 FF get excellent mileage UNLESS you do stop-and-go driving and then the mileage drops off the table. All cars suffer in stop-and-go but the Mk3 FF really takes a dive. It's not the speed it's the staring/stopping and idling at lights that really kill the mileage.

Brian
That's pretty much what I've seen as well. There's a stretch in my commute that is a "rural" road, with an initial speed limit of 55, then dropping to 45, back up to 50, then 40. There are 6 traffic lights along this 6 mile stretch. The initial 55mph part is a slight downhill and the rest is pretty flat. Yesterday, I hit 70MPG on this stretch because I barely used the brakes. I know it sounds unbelievable, and this was based on the trip computer, but it was pretty amazing. Because I didn't stop anywhere, I couldn't take a picture of the display. Other days, when I have to stop for every light on that stretch, I get around 35MPG. On more classic city streets, with a lot more stop-and-go, I get anywhere from 22-30 MPG.

My overall MPG is about 32 with 50% hwy over a little more than 15k miles. Not in the Prius category, but pretty decent for a fun little car.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2012, 01:54 PM   #1235
dgoebel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101276
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red 5-DR Hatchback SEL

FF Reputation: 2 dgoebel Good Standing Member
5dr hatch, 1500miles before trip, full to the brim, couldn't fit a single pack of potato chips in the trunk/hatch, 3 adults, passenger seat behind driver packed with luggage and road trip supplies, Averaged 34.3 MPG over 1100 miles of MN, WI, IL Interstate, Chicago roads, local roads, and back. 775mi Highway, 464 miles local roads, 36.1 gals gas. Measured using actual gallons of gas used From Full tank before start to fill up at end of trip. Very Happy
(My other ride is a 5L 4WD F-150, sometimes it gets 17 MPG!)
Old 10-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #1236
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Anyone has ever brought in their car at the dealer to have it checked for bad MPG's?

I recently had a dealer appointment to address a series of issues including my abnormal city MPG and the dealer said that Ford Canada does not pick up any fees related to fuel MPG testing done on their cars, even under warranty. He did not say how much it was, but basically, if I want it done, I will have to pay for it myself.

He also went on about how the EPA sticker is purely marketing and that no one should believe any of Ford advertisments about fuel efficiency! Ahahaha... love it when they are so honest.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #1237
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post
Anyone has ever brought in their car at the dealer to have it checked for bad MPG's?

I recently had a dealer appointment to address a series of issues including my abnormal city MPG and the dealer said that Ford Canada does not pick up any fees related to fuel MPG testing done on their cars, even under warranty. He did not say how much it was, but basically, if I want it done, I will have to pay for it myself.

He also went on about how the EPA sticker is purely marketing and that no one should believe any of Ford advertisements about fuel efficiency! Ahahaha... love it when they are so honest.
Nope, we get 31 city and 34-35 hwy consistently.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #1238
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricomtl View Post

He also went on about how the EPA sticker is purely marketing and that no one should believe any of Ford advertisments about fuel efficiency! Ahahaha... love it when they are so honest.
An easy cop out is to blame the car.

When I drove enthusiastically I'd never break 25MPG, if even that.

When I drove normally 30MPG was a joke to maintain.

As much as the car can be responsible your right foot is more responsible for the kind of efficiency you get

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:54 AM   #1239
ricomtl
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97818
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Hatch Tx. Black

FF Reputation: 1 ricomtl Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
An easy cop out is to blame the car.

When I drove enthusiastically I'd never break 25MPG, if even that.

When I drove normally 30MPG was a joke to maintain.

As much as the car can be responsible your right foot is more responsible for the kind of efficiency you get
I am quite aware of all the factors that might influence a bad MPG performance, my question was not to open a new debate on how to drive the car, but rather to find out from this thread if any have brought in their car for this issue.

I've done my due dilligence... I have been driving the car for over 6 months and tracking all tanks/MPG manually. I still average 19-21 mpg in the city... I have not yet found any other owners on Fuelly.com reporting such MPG (with same car specs, Ti-Hatch 2012, automatic, no handling package).
Old 10-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #1240
thisisbenji
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102558
What I Drive: 2012 Red SE

Points 674, Level 13
Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13 Points: 674, Level: 13
Level Up 48% Completed
Level up: 48% Level up: 48% Level up: 48%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 thisisbenji Good Standing Member
This car is a joke in the city.

I get between 23-25 with a light foot, and the same mileage when I accelerate a little harder. Yet, on the highway I get in the 40s consistently going around 65 MPH.

The thing I'v noticed that really kills it in city driving is if you have any long periods of idling. I can get it above 30 only when I drive at obscure times during which no one else is on the road.

It's somewhat disappointing because my Civic that I traded in had no problem averaging 32mpg in the same city routes.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.