2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 115 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #1141
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfpalmer View Post
I WANT to love my car... she's a beautiful 2012 Focus Hatchback SE. But 24 MPG??? Sticker said 28/38 MPG.
Agree that sounds low, unfortunately I can see it's hard for a dealer to diagnose when the easy answer is a lead foot.

Biggerboat's suggestion is dead on. You should get well over 40 on the computer if maintaining 55mph for 10 minutes.

Do you know what mileage you got on your last car with the same driving routes and habits? If you got 20% below the city mileage on that car you can't expect to get city mileage on the Focus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #1142
lfpalmer
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102605
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass Focus Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 lfpalmer Good Standing Member
Red face Poor mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kam327 View Post
Do you know what mileage you got on your last car with the same driving routes and habits? If you got 20% below the city mileage on that car you can't expect to get city mileage on the Focus.
I really appreciate the responses. Sorry, no lead-foot here. I'm too stingy. I averaged 18MPG on '99 Saab, EPA 17/24 (& EPAs were more inflated back then.) Went down some after 10 years.

I did some resetting on highway when it was new. I'll try again, flat. The highest number I ever saw was 37. The longer on highway, the more it'd drop.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #1143
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfpalmer View Post
I really appreciate the responses. Sorry, no lead-foot here. I'm too stingy. I averaged 18MPG on '99 Saab, EPA 17/24 (& EPAs were more inflated back then.) Went down some after 10 years.

I did some resetting on highway when it was new. I'll try again, flat. The highest number I ever saw was 37. The longer on highway, the more it'd drop.
Hmmmm, that is a kicker. Well give it some time before taking any more drastic steps. Maybe it's bad gas. Try changing stations.

By the way you said earlier the fuelly average is 29, it's actually 31.4, roughly in line with the competition. Maybe a bit lower than average, but that's the price we pay for our ~1 second shorter time to 60...
Old 08-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #1144
rollerman
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101699
What I Drive: 2012 black focus S

FF Reputation: 1 rollerman Good Standing Member
are the 5 speeds getting better mpg than the auto?I use just reg. octane gas . i bought the 5 speed cause I'm a cheap o according to my kids...
Old 08-15-2012, 04:03 PM   #1145
Kaaru
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96763
What I Drive: '12 Oxford Wh. SEL Sedan 28/07/2011

FF Reputation: 1 Kaaru Good Standing Member
Back from Tadoussac

Hey there. I'm back from Tadoussac. Clocked a little more than 1100 Km on Gertrude. I went tru the Charlevoix region and made a hook to get on the ''l'Isle aux Coudres'' Island and then back on the main land on the north shore until Baie Ste Catherine (4 km away from Tadoussac)

I got 6.2L/100Km total out of Gertrude for the whole trip, but keep in mind that the Charlevoix region has got some of the most impressive long hills I have seen in my life on Road 138...and I have ran the Cabot trail in Cape Breton, twice, so I kinda know what I'm talking about. I have taken some film that I will gladly post once I have the time to process it, 'Cause we all know it...''Pic's or it didnt happened''

Montreal to Quebec City was a breeze cause it's flat as a billard table. I got about 5.6L/100Km going 112 Km (65Mph) but once out of Quebec City, the real fun began with Charlevoix. Did'nt liked the way the tranny was acting up going up and especially going down, it was real hard to get some smooth operation out of it. Forget about using the cruize ctrl in those hills, it's way too hard on the tranny AND the engine. So I was left with the good old ''D'' mode and the trusty brake pedal. I wonder how many brake pads/rotors/disks/tranny people living there go tru in a full year ??

When timed properly, you could ''lauch'' or ''attack'' a hill with moderate ease, but if one idiot made a bad move and made you lift your foot, just a tad, you were done for it. You became a road nuisance. Forget about picking up more speed, you were dead in water. Once in Tadoussac, my numbers were 6.5L/100Km, considering the type of roads we had, I think it's pretty darn good. Way better than my '07 Outie that I used on the Cabot Trail. If my memory serves me well, I think my numbers were then 8.2L/100km (2 adults, one moody teenager, way too much girly clothing and some minimum AC) going in Nova Scotia.

One funny note: Comming back on the main land from the l'Isle aux Coudres, you have to go up an insane hill will little room to pick up some speed. The best I could get out of Gertrude was 60KPH with the pedal to the metal in S mode. We were 2 regular size adult with minimum gear as we were there only for 2 days. It was spectacular as in ...it was the first time I had the ''I will not reach the top of the hill'' feeling out of a car. Not good. But hey, I passed an Echo going up (I think) so it could have been worst and I can only imagine what the Echo driver was thinking

I have another trip to Mont Tremblant comming up, I'll post my final numbers once I get back. I expect a lower fuel performance as I will not travel on a flat surface as in Mtl/Qc thanks to our spendid ''Bouclier Canadien''. We Seriously have a beautiful country with some jaw dropping features, thanks to Mother Nature and some clever engineering, we can enjoy it.

Cheers
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #1146
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollerman View Post
are the 5 speeds getting better mpg than the auto?I use just reg. octane gas . i bought the 5 speed cause I'm a cheap o according to my kids...
Unlikely as the DCT has a taller second overdrive ratio which means that the "automatic" is running at lower revs on the freeway. Which under sustained conditions = higher average mpg at the same ground speed.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #1147
leppylep
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102648
What I Drive: 2012 blue Ford Focus hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 leppylep Good Standing Member
I'm currently looking at getting a 2012/2013 focus titanium edition ford states it gets
5.2L/100 km / 54.3 mpg highway I'm only stating highway because that's all i care about
I know Canadian gallons are different so in us terms 5.2L/100 km / 45.2 mpg. That is US gallons. From what I've read skipping through this thread most people are saying 37 mpg us gallons. Or 6.3L/100 km. Is ford blowing smoke with their numbers? This is very important because my tiburon gets over 600 km to a tank and these numbers are saying the focus gets just over 700 km. I can't justify the focus with these numbers. Does it even get close to the 5.2L/100km they state?
Old 08-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1148
Power Surge
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55878
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE 5-door

FF Reputation: 1 Power Surge Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Unlikely as the DCT has a taller second overdrive ratio which means that the "automatic" is running at lower revs on the freeway. Which under sustained conditions = higher average mpg at the same ground speed.
You would think that, but from what I've seen here on all the MPG threads, the 5 speed cars seem to be getting way better than the DCTs. Of course that sucks because I bought this car for MPGs.
2008 Vista Blue SE (gone)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #1149
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 19 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM   #1150
bssybeep
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87864
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 bssybeep Good Standing Member
My overall average is 31.5

If I reset my computer once I'm on the freeway, I can hit up to 43 mpg, but usually 39-41.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->