2012 owners Post your MPG's - Page 104 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #1031
Robo319
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 92204
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5-door frosted glass

FF Reputation: 1 Robo319 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I've had mine for about6 months, best I've got is 28, thats with almost all city driving
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2012, 03:06 PM   #1032
kam327
-----<M>-----

Fan#: 94700
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

FF Reputation: 11 kam327 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFocursing View Post
I'm very excited for all these high mpgs being reported, but urge folks to hand-calculate to confirm.

I hand verify every tank (with the added advantage of almost always using the same actual pump) and found that not only is my car's computer off, but not really by a predictable margin (or even direction). I asked my dealer about this and the responses was "You're lucky it's not off by more!"

This is my first car with an on-board mpg calculator, but my reading indicates that they're more novelty than scientific reality across the board (brands, models, etc).

I, too, have gotten 40+ mpg readings on trips -- felt like a million bucks -- until I did the math myself and saw I was still in the 34-ish ballpark.

Anyhow, don't mean to be a buzzkill, just suggesting folks consider their hand-calculated mpgs along with dashreads.
It's puzzling to me that some folks' computers are so far off and so randomly. Mine has consistently been .5 to maybe 1.5 mpg more generous than my manual calc on all of my 13 tanks so far. And my 3 previous Ford products were the same way, always slightly optimistic. Don't know why yours is so randomly unpredictable except if your driving habits or conditions vary greatly from tank to tank.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #1033
Pretherius
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97062
What I Drive: 2012 SE Sedan 5-Spd Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 Pretherius Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFocursing View Post
I'm very excited for all these high mpgs being reported, but urge folks to hand-calculate to confirm.

I hand verify every tank (with the added advantage of almost always using the same actual pump) and found that not only is my car's computer off, but not really by a predictable margin (or even direction). I asked my dealer about this and the responses was "You're lucky it's not off by more!"

This is my first car with an on-board mpg calculator, but my reading indicates that they're more novelty than scientific reality across the board (brands, models, etc).

I, too, have gotten 40+ mpg readings on trips -- felt like a million bucks -- until I did the math myself and saw I was still in the 34-ish ballpark.

Anyhow, don't mean to be a buzzkill, just suggesting folks consider their hand-calculated mpgs along with dashreads.
Definitely a valid point. Always run the numbers by hand if you want accuracy. That said, seems pretty rare here for the computer to be that far off.

The only thing I've found is that the occasional gas pump will shut off significantly earlier than normal. You'll get a big bump in calculated mileage for that tank, but you'll know it's due to pump shutoff variance when the next tank calculates low (assuming you go back to a different pump) when you replace that "missing" fuel. I had a tank calculate out at 43 due to an early pump shutoff, but then the next tank came out at 36, which is unusually low.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #1034
kxweil38
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 100546
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Red Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 kxweil38 Good Standing Member
Has anyone noticed a drop in MPG after the transmission updates? Prior to having the update I was regularily between 32 and 37. Now I am lucky to get 29. Posted via FF Mobile
Old 06-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #1035
HCAutoDetail
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98950
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE (Oxford White)

FF Reputation: 1 HCAutoDetail Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggerBoat View Post
AND, I picked up a case of Fat Tire (one of my favorite brews that isn't available in Ohio). So, all in all a successful trip..
Oh yeah! That really was a successful trip!

Professional Swirl Remover!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #1036
infocus61
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 86846
What I Drive: 2012 Frosted Glass FoFo SE HB M/T

FF Reputation: 1 infocus61 Good Standing Member
Gauges indicate a shade over 36 MPG cumulative to date with about 1500 miles on the vehicle. Mileage has significantly increased since around the 1000 mile mark, so apparently there really is an improvement after 'break-in.' I'm probably at around 80% highway. Latest tank is indicating 39 MPG and the manual calculation for the previous fillup was 36.5 MPG.

The sweet thing is the A/C doesn't seem to seriously impact MPG.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #1037
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocus61 View Post
Gauges indicate a shade over 36 MPG cumulative to date with about 1500 miles on the vehicle. Mileage has significantly increased since around the 1000 mile mark, so apparently there really is an improvement after 'break-in.' I'm probably at around 80% highway. Latest tank is indicating 39 MPG and the manual calculation for the previous fillup was 36.5 MPG.

The sweet thing is the A/C doesn't seem to seriously impact MPG.

My cumulative average is a tad over 36mpg as well and I have about 5500 miles on mine. The average for the first 3000 miles was about 34.5 and just under 38 for the last 2500 miles.

At highway speeds when cruising for longer trips the AC probably results in 1mpg less on average but at lower speeds, and particularly in stop-and-go driving on very hot days with relatively short trips where the AC is on MAX nearly the whole time you could see as much as 5mpg I'd guess.

I'd put the typical mpg impact on AC use at 1.5-3mpg but at the extreme it could be close to zero or as much as 5mpg...

Brian
Old 07-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #1038
arcesala
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96139
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 arcesala Good Standing Member
am I the only one getting constant 22mpg in my focus ?
Old 07-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #1039
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcesala View Post
am I the only one getting constant 22mpg in my focus ?
For the sake of our planet, I sure hope so.

Edit: Not that that's horrible compared to the average car. I looked at Bentleys and Escalades on Fuelly yesterday. I made me feel much better.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #1040
arcesala
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96139
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 arcesala Good Standing Member
I drive in 90% city, ok.. but still think is a lot compared to the 30+ it should be doing isn't it?

Bookmarks & Social Networks