A/C issue and aftermarket stereo problem - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-10-2013, 01:52 AM   #1
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 100352
What I Drive: 2000 Red LX

FF Reputation: 1 RickyOG90 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Exclamation A/C issue and aftermarket stereo problem

wow so for some reason whenever i try to turn on my a/c in my car, the "A/C" button light on the HVAC controls just blinks away, sometimes staying solid but usually always blinking if i have the air on, and if I press on the recirculating air button aka Max A/C, it will blink as well and then turn off. What could this problem be? I'm thinking maybe its a fuse?

And another issue, I replaced my aftermarket stereo for a new one and for some reason, while I have my car running, I can turn the key back to turn off the car and pull the key out and yet my car will keep running, BUT if I press and hold the Off button on my stereo and turn it off, the moment the stereo turns off, my car will turn off as well. What could this issue be? I've never had this issue before and it puzzles me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
Gadabout
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114774
What I Drive: 2006 Vermillion Red ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 4 Gadabout Good Standing Member
As far as the Radio goes; sounds like you wired the Constant to the wrong wire. (i.e. yellow/red instead of yellow/yellow red/red) . I could be wrong. but not sure if that would explain the car on/off issue. Weird.
Team Duratec #42
Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 AM   #3
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
If the car's wiring harness was cut into rather than finding a wiring harness adapter- then who knows. Sort of impossible to repair from a distance and not seeing anything.

At any rate a Ford Focus 2000 wiring manual is a necessity see E bay
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Nothing personal but you probably need someone else looking at this. Thinking a mere fuse can cause the a/c light blink says you don't know enough about auto electrical to do it alone. My guess is someone working on things has caused all of this. Once you get weird behavior like you post, there is literally no way that can be fixed over the net. Simply way too many unguessable things could've been done there.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #5
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Nothing personal but you probably need someone else looking at this. Thinking a mere fuse can cause the a/c light blink says you don't know enough about auto electrical to do it alone. My guess is someone working on things has caused all of this. Once you get weird behavior like you post, there is literally no way that can be fixed over the net. Simply way too many unguessable things could've been done there.
whoa now, I'm not a novice at electronics. the reason why I said maybe its a fuse because i did some research to see if others experienced the same issue, and there was one guy that had the exact same issue with his a/c and had figured out that his problem was fuse 58 was removed by accident, and when he replaced it, everything went back to nornal. So i checked that same fuse today to find that the fuse was blown. Plus I have not done anything relating to the hvac controls or any thing to affect this issue recently within the past 3 months as everything was fine 4 days ago. Just simply turned it on yesterday to experience this issue.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
If the car's wiring harness was cut into rather than finding a wiring harness adapter- then who knows. Sort of impossible to repair from a distance and not seeing anything.

At any rate a Ford Focus 2000 wiring manual is a necessity see E bay
yea the previous owner had chosen to cut the stock harness off instead of using an adapter :/ but i installed 2 different headunits in the past 3 years and i upgraded to a new one 2 days ago and just reconnected the new connections to the same wires it was previously connected to so just puzzles me that its doing this when it didnt do it with the previous headunit
Old 08-10-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadabout View Post
As far as the Radio goes; sounds like you wired the Constant to the wrong wire. (i.e. yellow/red instead of yellow/yellow red/red) . I could be wrong. but not sure if that would explain the car on/off issue. Weird.
i will check but I'm pretty certain I didnt, but who knows? its hot as hell in florida and I couldve made a tiny error and swapped the 2 without thinking lol
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

Well the A/C works again! I replaced that fuse 58 and now the a/c button and recirculating air a/c button lights on the HVAC controls are now lit solid and works again so I'm glad that issue is gone finally
Old 08-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
RickyOG90
Focus Rookie

OK, I figured out the stereo issue, and it wasnt me misconnecting the constant and switched connections, turns out i accidently connected the antenna wire to the switch wire as well. Welp, case closed. Thanks for those that helped out!

Bookmarks & Social Networks