optimal maintenance intervals for 2010 Focus? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83605
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE Ingot Silver HB

FF Reputation: 1 sirhawkeye Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
optimal maintenance intervals for 2010 Focus?

I know the manuals say that the trans fluid doesn't need changing (at least, I never saw an interval for that). What is the most common interval to change the transmission fluid, timing belt, and spark plugs on the 2010 Focus?

I think the spark plugs may be 90k, actually, but do people generally change them sooner than that (maybe around 60k)?

My biggest concern is the trans fluid and the timing belt.. Spark plugs aren't that big of an issue to me because when they go, you'll notice. With a timing belt, there generally is no warning signs...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
It's a timing chain and in theory it should never need to be changed ... however there might be chain guides that will. Generally the chain slides across a plastic'ish surface, if the surface becomes dry the chain can mar the surface and leave slivers in the oil pan. Also one guide acts as a tensioner, there's an oil pressure driven servo to keep a constant pressure or a spring. Not sure how exactly Ford did it though.

The trans, take your best guess ... pretty much when ever you feel like doing it.

Same for the plugs. But do not that the longer you wait with plugs the greater the chance of galvanic corrosion, steel plug in Aluminum head.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:52 AM   #3
GO.army.1969
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69605
What I Drive: 2008 Vapor Silver Coupe 5 speed

FF Reputation: 15 GO.army.1969 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I beleave the trans is a 30k service
NW Posse#10 Team Duratec#69
F2 Header, Steath Exhaust, CAI, AR103, Tuned by Randy Fswerks, DGR Coil Overs
DOMINANT front and rear LCA DOMINANT endlinks Massive toe and camber arms
Old 06-08-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hi everyone,

According to the scheduled maintenance guide, the spark plugs recommended replacement is at 90k. The transmission fluid is recommended at 150k.

Additionally, you may visit FordOwner.com at your convenience, if you have not already. This site will provide the maintenance schedule, as well as quarterly service offers from your preferred servicing dealer. Hope that information helps!

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 06-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
jetrinka
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Memberjetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
The stock plugs are a platinum type and usually good for around 90k as long as there aren't any oil control issues leading to deposits on the plugs. I would definately at least remove them and put some anti-seize on them for the reasons iminhell mentioned. Aluminum and steel + heat doesn't work out very well for long periods without it.

Trans fluid should last a long time. I usually do mine every 30k because im anal. At least inspect it every 30k. If it looks dirty, then change it. It takes quite a while to break down and get dirty.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
funtodrive06
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 48851
What I Drive: 06 SCREMIN YELOW ZX3 S, 03 F150 Lar

FF Reputation: 1 funtodrive06 Good Standing Member
have you replaced the plugs yet, did you or would you go with OEM or what brand would you use?

the best performance mod is synthetic oil, better gas mileage, longer engine life, better performance...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 PM   #7
bean499
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84389
What I Drive: 2009 white suede se sedan

FF Reputation: 1 bean499 Good Standing Member
I asked my dealer the same thing and they said , that 2008 -2011 ford focus has to only be INSPECTED every 30,000 miles. in order to change the tranny filter you have to break open the tranny case, not just take the bottom pan off. said it was a pretty complex job. so i said so what your saying is it doesnt need to be changed. they said yes , unless ofcourse its burnt or dirty or somthing.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, but from what I've seen, at around 90k (unless you've changed it prior to that point) most trans fluid will be dirty and brown/very dark red and ready for a change.

And then there is the old concern of sometimes changing the trans fluid if real dirty can actually cause more problems than just leaving it well alone. At least, that concern applied to cars 10-15 years ago... car's today are probably much different and can handle more "abuse." I mean, I've seen instances (way back when) when trans fluid WAS the problem.

On my 2008, I had it done at 60k. Fluid only. The plan was to do a filter and fluid and 120k, but sold the car before it hit that point.

The problem is that if you let the car go to 90k without a fluid change, it's not under warranty, so in a way, this is sort of a gamble. Now, the counter argument is that you'd be throwing money a way if you did it at 60k because it's not needed. OK, but how much does a new trans cost? Probably more than all of the fluid changes combined that you would do for the trans over time. That's sort of how I see fluid changes. I always tend to follow the "Severe Conditions" route with maintenance schedules. I figure it's a bit more money each time, but in the long run, it may end up saving me some money...
Old 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #9
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85499
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
I vote for Autolite spark plugs... they are just like the OEM and easy to have. Irridium are the MOST DURABLE, but Double Platinum is what I usually run with.

A good oil and change schedule will preserve a timing chain..
Old 08-09-2011, 08:44 PM   #10
sirhawkeye
Focus Enthusiast

The timing belt and spark plugs I'm not that worried with... last I checked, Ford doesn't use interference engines, so a broken belt (from what I was told by my dealer) is not like it is with other companies that use them....

As far as I'm concerned, I'll just have the belt replaced at 90k with the plugs and other stuff. I personally think 150k is too long for a rubber belt, even if it has steel reinforcements or whatnot.

Ford's water pumps in the Focus don't have to be replaced when the timing belt does, do they?

I know in my Honda, that was the general practice since a lot of cars with timing belts use the belt to run the water pump, and it ended up being a more cost effective way to go--versus waiting and then going back in again after the new belt was installed. I just figured that while they were in there, for an extra $$$ for the pump, it would be cheaper than letting it go and possibly crap out a year from that point... sort of as preventative maintenenance.

Bookmarks & Social Networks