a/c low pressure port - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
johnhagen
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78457
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SW

FF Reputation: 1 johnhagen Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
a/c low pressure port

hi guys

i have 03 ford focus se

i searched here but i couldnt find related posting with this subject if its already posted sorry about that .but i want to add a/c gas in to my car and can not decide where is low pressure and high pressure arms?can you guys tell me where are they?and what kind a/c gas do you guys recommend?

another question is why we dont use high pressure port to add a/c gas?

thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
warneej
BodyKits=PantiesDrop

Fan#: 20372
What I Drive: 04 ZX3 D23E-10SES Sedan-12 Ti Hatch

Points 32,216, Level 100
Points: 32,216, Level: 100 Points: 32,216, Level: 100 Points: 32,216, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 201 warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member warneej Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Low pressure is the suction side, High pressure is the blow side. You want the car to suck it in, not blow it out.

All cars take R-134a. I like the Qwest SubZero which retails for about $19.99 at your local AutoZone.

The low pressure port on the Focus is below your passenger side headlamp. Easiest way to access it is to remove the lamp. The port is on the top of your accumulator/dryer which is in that space between your wheel and your bumper. There are 2 bolts on top and one bolt from underneath to remove the light.

173.4whp
gump
crew #6
Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 PM   #3
speedyg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49534
What I Drive: 2001 White SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 speedyg Good Standing Member
Need to use R-134a for the AC system and is around $9 for a small can at Wal-Mart (if your state lets them sell it to the public)

High pressure port is under the hood right there on top of the grill by the passenger headlight.

Low pressure is on the drier which is under the car by the front right wheel. You will have to remove the fender liner and maybe the wheel to access it.

Turn your car on and the AC to Max. Then hook the can up and charge till the compressor stops cycling.

Chances are tho that if your having to add freon then you have a leak. Buy a can with dye and a UV light and look for it. Will be cheaper in the long run to find the leak and repair it than having to keep putting cans in. Cause if freon is leaking, then the oil in the system is leaking to. And if the compressor runs out of oil it can and will seize and it may break the belt (trust me on that). This is just my two cents tho but I hope it helps.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
johnhagen
Focus Enthusiast

thanks guys i added r134 but when i turn on a/c it doesnt really blow cold air.i checked gas pressure im sure its enough(between 30 and 45).it blows out air but its not enough cold.whats the problem?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
speedyg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 49534
What I Drive: 2001 White SE 5-speed

FF Reputation: 3 speedyg Good Standing Member
The more freon in the system the colder the the air coming out will be. Did you put in enough to make the compressor stop cycling tho?
Old 04-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
johnhagen
Focus Enthusiast

well if you mean a/c comperessor (puller) stopped engaging i didnt pay attention but i checked the gas pressure with gauge it shows about 40.how i can check if its cycling or not?and what if does or not?

thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,561, Level 98
Points: 27,561, Level: 98 Points: 27,561, Level: 98 Points: 27,561, Level: 98
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyg View Post
The more freon in the system the colder the the air coming out will be. Did you put in enough to make the compressor stop cycling tho?
Not true. If you put too much refrigerant in the system, then it won't cool. Refrigerant pressure on the low side = evaporator temp in F (not exact but close). I think with 134 it's more like 25 psi = 32F. The pressure where the low switch cuts the power to the clutch is when the evaporator core temp is at freezing. To make it worse, higher ambient temps raise all system pressures, meaning your slightly cool charge now is going to be barely lukewarm in August. You're better off charging by pressure to just barely above the LP switch cut-off at idle this time of year. If it cycles while you're rolling around- that's ok for cooler temps- it won't do that as it gets hotter.

To the OP: We need more information. Can you see the face of your compressor as it cycles? Do you hear it click on and off? What is the pressure when it's running? Was the system fully discharged? Did you add any oil? Has the orifice tube ever been replaced? When you turn the AC on, do the engine cooling fans come on?

If your system is fully discharged or you have a leak, then you should read this thread before you start throwing refrigerant in your system.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #8
johnhagen
Focus Enthusiast

thanks guys and whynotthinkwhynot here is your answers.

To the OP: We need more information. Can you see the face of your compressor as it cycles? Do you hear it click on and off? What is the pressure when it's running? Was the system fully discharged? Did you add any oil? Has the orifice tube ever been replaced? When you turn the AC on, do the engine cooling fans come on?

Yes comp.cycles and i hear clicks on and off.
the pressure is between 20 and 42 while running but while not running its about 67.

i am not sure system was fully discharged i didnt pay attention but gauge was zero but the another thing gas can is 18 Oz.after i added gas into system half of the can is still full that may mean system maynot be fully discharged(i dont know how much freon can take A/C gas tank but it looks pretty big.i believe if it was fully discharged it could take more than 9 Oz(Half Of the 18 Oz can)).

i didnt add any oil or anything else.
about orifice tube i dont know previous owner replaced or not (i think they never did).
when i turn on a/c cooling fans come on.air blow is strong but the problem is no cool air.
and last summer i didnt have this problem.

thanks.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.