02 Focus SPI no compression on cyl 2. Help!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-04-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84603
What I Drive: 2000 Focus SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 TeamZetec Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
02 Focus SPI no compression on cyl 2. Help!!!

I have a 2002 Ford Focus SE with the Split Port Induction 2000 engine that I bought for $1,200. It has 154k miles. It runs very rough the engine shakes, it has barely any power, and a valve started making a loud tapping noise yesterday when i revved it a bit. I took off the valve cover, cranked the engine with the plug wires off, and the valve rockers seem to be working good. It threw a code after i drove it around in my driveway a bit, i hooked my code scanner up and i got a P0302 code (cylinder 2 misfire). I pulled the plugs, they were all black and old, and cylinder number 2 had a different plug that was longer and the side electrode was smashed into the center electrode. It appears that since the plug was longer than the others, the piston hit the plug and smashed it. the whole plug is in one piece, there is nothing missing from it. I went to Advance Auto, got a set of NGK plugs, put them in, and it hasnt thrown another code yet but still runs very rough. Pulled the plugs again, they were black within a few mins, and the cylinder 2 plug had carbon flakes all over it. I then did a spark test, spark was strong on all cylinders except cylinder 2 where it had an intermittent spark...it would be strong spark a few times, then it would get really weak. Put the plugs back in, let it run for about 3 mins, and revved it a bit. A valve started tapping pretty loud. Pulled the plugs again, and did a compression test. Cylinder 1, 3, and 4 registered 150 on the compression tester. Cylinder 2 showed 0. I have now come back to my original thought that it has a dropped valve seat on cylinder 2.

What do you guys think? Since there is NO compression on cylinder 2, i would take a guess that it would almost have to be a bad valve seat. Any help is appreciated. Thanx!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #2
tonythetiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82065
What I Drive: 2006 Silver MAZDASPEED 6

FF Reputation: 1 tonythetiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamZetec View Post
What do you guys think? Since there is NO compression on cylinder 2, i would take a guess that it would almost have to be a bad valve seat. Any help is appreciated. Thanx!
That definitely sounds like a possible issue. Did you check the condition of the cams? I worked on a car that had a rounded cam lobe on one lifter. (Just a suggestion.) Maybe a stuck lifter? It could even be bad piston rings? There's just so many possibilities...

Is it backfiring or sputtering at all?

It's hard not knowing without hearing it.

EDIT: It almost sounds like you might have a collapsed lifter.. One of your valves might be stuck open. I'm not too familiar with the SPI's, just helping with my knowledge of engines.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

Points 13,451, Level 75
Points: 13,451, Level: 75 Points: 13,451, Level: 75 Points: 13,451, Level: 75
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
well its usually the number 4 valve seat that drops.. but it could be your problem
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #4
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post

Is it backfiring or sputtering at all?
No backfiring or sputtering. It shoots water out the exhaust like a river when you revv it. Im tearing the head off this weekend to check for a bad lobe. Hopefully its just a bad valve and not a bad camshaft lobe. I bought this car to fix and resell and its turning out to be a nightmare. The SPI 2000 is such a terrible motor, I cant wait to fix this POS, sell it, and get another Focus Zetec sedan.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkyoda View Post
well its usually the number 4 valve seat that drops.. but it could be your problem
Have you ever heard of the SPI 2000 droppin a seat on cylinder 2? i know that usually when these motors drop seats, the valve slams the piston and shatters the piston.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:37 PM   #6
tonythetiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82065
What I Drive: 2006 Silver MAZDASPEED 6

FF Reputation: 1 tonythetiger Good Standing Member
Glad I could be of some help.
Posted via FF Mobile
Old 04-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

Points 13,451, Level 75
Points: 13,451, Level: 75 Points: 13,451, Level: 75 Points: 13,451, Level: 75
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Have you ever heard of the SPI 2000 droppin a seat on cylinder 2? i know that usually when these motors drop seats, the valve slams the piston and shatters the piston.
never heard of it droppin on number two. but anything is possible. when mine dropped it didnt shatter my piston but it puts gouges in me head and scratched the cylinder wall to hell along with gouges in the piston
Old 04-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
TeamZetec
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
never heard of it droppin on number two. but anything is possible. when mine dropped it didnt shatter my piston but it puts gouges in me head and scratched the cylinder wall to hell along with gouges in the piston
Tore the head off, dropped valve seat on cylinder 2. Piston and cylinder head mashed all up. Attempted to find a junkyard motor or even a cylinder head at the tons of junkyards around here, no success. I hate these SPI junks, shows you how much they blow up when every junkyard car you find has the engine gone, but the Zetecs are always there (only Focuses with Zetecs i ever see in JYs is because they are wrecked)
Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 PM   #9
Focus7081
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83591
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Focus7081 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Mine was #2.

Quote:
Tore the head off, dropped valve seat on cylinder 2. Piston and cylinder head mashed all up. Attempted to find a junkyard motor or even a cylinder head at the tons of junkyards around here, no success. I hate these SPI junks, shows you how much they blow up when every junkyard car you find has the engine gone, but the Zetecs are always there (only Focuses with Zetecs i ever see in JYs is because they are wrecked)
Join the club. BOTH!
-Was a member of the "#2 dropped valve seat" club...Twice! Now a SPI->Zetec club member.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.