PCV routing? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-27-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
waterboy

Fan#: 2258
What I Drive: 2k SPI-T, with Lentech automatic stuff on it

FF Reputation: 1 waterboy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
PCV routing?

I understand the WHY, but not the where as in where to? I got that the line goes back into the intake, but do I just put a filter in the hole where the PCV valve came from? Stuff it with a shop rag? Sarcasm fellas, sarcasm. What?

BTW: This is on a 2k SPI.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2004, 08:41 PM   #2
Tekin112
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 3830
FF Reputation: 1 Tekin112 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
pcv system: valve cover is the intake for it this air must be filter (breather filter or stock air box) then the PCV valve must be in place then a line from the PCV to a vacume source ( stock manifod location, or any vacume source if your in a bosted application)

If you want to add a catch can into the system it need tobe between the PCV and the vacume source.

The purpose of the PCV system is to vent the crank case of its preasure build up.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:54 PM   #3
waterboy

Gotcha. I already have that with the stock setup. Why are people telling me I have to re-route the PCV? From the valve cover to the PCV is a direct connection on the SPI, then it's routed to the intake. The other valve cover breather is removed and a filter was placed (more like jammed) in it's place. So is the info I'm getting erroneous? I don't want to be replacing rings anytime soon. It just seems as if I already have what I need.

Jim
Old 10-27-2004, 09:19 PM   #4
Twofocused
Focus Addict

Fan#: 408
What I Drive: 84 Stang / 03 Focus SE / 04 F150 /

FF Reputation: 2 Twofocused Good Standing Member
You guys have the whole PCV thing WRONG. The purpose of the PCV is to vent pressure off the engine. Small amounts of cylinder pressure (fumes) make it past the rings and valve seals and vent into the crankcase and head. This pressure must be relieved somewhere. If you dont give it a place to vent then it will find its own way out, usually past gaskets and seals.

These fumes are sucked back into our intake and reburned in the engine. If you just put a filter on the PCV outlet then you are venting the fumes into the atmosphere.

That isnt a problem on newer engines because there is little pressure (fumes) making it into the head and crankcase. On older or worn engines, more fumes containing both burned and unburned fuel makes its way out of the cylinders and into the crankcase/head. On those engines you need the vacume to help suck out those fumes.

In extrime cases engines have had crankcase explosions or blown the head clean off the engine due to high concentrations of unburned fuel vapors igniting.

On our stock intakes you see the PCV passes through a small foam filter first, then through the air filter before re-entering the cylinders to be reburned. At least on my 03 with 16000 miles the small foam filter is still clean, as the engine wears, I will start to see small amounts of oil residue start to show up on the filter.

Anyway, the PCV does not suck air into the engine, it vents air out. If you pull that hose off and do not put a filter on it, it will not affect the engine at all, other than losing the vacume to help pull vapors out.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:21 PM   #5
zx3focusguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 3973
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 zx3focusguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
to make a long story short, what twofocused said is correct. You don't need to do anything different on a boosted car other then possible add a PCV valve from an SVO mustang or turbo coupe or a GM 3800 etc.

Scott
Old 10-28-2004, 09:19 PM   #6
waterboy

Thank you. I thought I was being fed a line. I'm not the greatest at explaining what I want, but it looks like you guys got the idea. The SPI has a different setup than the ZETEC for the PCV, but the function is the same.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 10-28-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
waterboy

On the SPI, the hose to the left of the intercooler on the right corner of the valve cover is the PCV line and is plumbed back to the intake for reburn. On the right side just outside of the pic is the other valve cover venting line and went to the airbox. Now it vents to atmosphere and the original PCV setup is intact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pcv pic.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	4426  

Bookmarks & Social Networks