SVT Focus Suspension upgrade (general) - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-03-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
bmylez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I ran a lot lower than Eibach pro-kit springs with KW V1 coilovers and I didn't have a problem with scraping/rubbing.

I'm not sure how picky you are about ride stiffness. Yes, Eibachs will be stiffer, but they will offer a fair increase in handling.

I recommend upgrading to poly sway bar bushings as well.

To answer your question about coilovers: yes, they are a combined shock/spring that is threaded for adjustability. The good ones are pricey and look to be out of your range.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
jamminsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61360
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-Red SVT

FF Reputation: 2 jamminsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillJongIll View Post
To clarify -

I am going to replace the front struts and rear shocks with the Konis, seem pretty popular after further poking around the forums. This will not affect ride height, as far as I understand.

But when doing this, at 90k, should I replace the springs as well? If so, would it be better to go with the Koni springs or Eibach pro springs? Its cheaper with the konis as you can get all these parts together as a kit. They both lower about 1.5"?

Thanks!
I wish I could be more help here, but if your're not in a big hurry I should have more info in a week or so. I have been researching this for a while and have a pile of parts ready to install in the next week or so. I have 82k on my car and have purchased the Koni Sport kit from Tirerack.(shocks,struts,springs), Moog tie-rod ends, swaybar endlinks,trailing arm bushings and complete LCA's with bushing's and ball-joints, SPC rear camber arms and front camber plates, Massive rear toe arms and poly bushing's for the front and rear sways. I'm like you and feel that if I'm gonna R&R I might as well upgrade. I was going to do the install this weekend but found my shock bellows were falling apart so I will have to find some since the Koni's require you to re-use the old one's. Which kind of ticks me off considering the price of the new Koni's, even on sale??? So I should be able to give you a more informed opinion in a week or so, but if you decide to go ahead and make some purchases you're certainly on the right track Also, everything I've read, even on the Koni website says the sport springs only lower the SVT about 10mm. Which is like 1/2 inch not 1.5 inches.
#783 of 4788
SVTOA Member
MCA Member
"Government is not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem." Ronald Reagan
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #13
WillJongIll
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 64756
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 WillJongIll Good Standing Member
Quick follow up -

Is there any consensus on getting Konis + Eibach springs vs the Koni kit? It's more cost effective to go with the koni kit and 1/2" sounds like the perfect drop.

Any recommendations on where to purchase the poly sway bar bushings?
Old 04-04-2011, 01:31 AM   #14
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
I got my poly bushings from Amazon believe it or not, after the free shipping they were the cheapest. I bought quite a lot of things from them in the past year.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:57 PM   #15
WillJongIll
Focus Rookie

JamminSVT,

Thanks for the run down. So here's a general summary and some questions. For what its worth, I won't be doing the install myself, I've got a friend / mechanic that gives me a bit of a discount as long as I bring a case of beer, but I still have to pay something and again, on a little bit of a budget. I'll be assisting (i.e. observing) the install though.

So my suspension shopping list is looking like this...

Prothane Front sway bar bushings (part # 6-1152-BL)
Prothane Rear sway bar bushings (part # 6-1156-BL)
Moog front sway bar end links (Part # K80066, quantity: 2)
Moog rear sway bar end links (Part # K90129, quantity: 2)
Koni Sport (yellow) front struts
Koni Sport (yellow) rear shocks

Possibly: Springs (either Eibach or Koni - depending on the consensus of whether its ok to go with a set or better to match the Konis to the Eibach springs) or so stick to the stock springs if new springs are going to entail too much added cost / complication (see further question). This is very appealing though.

So you said...

"SPC rear camber arms and front camber plates"
Is this necessary when adding new, lower springs? Or will alignment take care of camber issues?

"Trailing arm bushings"
I hadn't thought of this. Is it necessary at this juncture and how tough / time consuming is it to replace these?

"Complete LCA's with bushing's and ball-joints"
Replacing the bushings on the lower control arms looks like it would be a bit of work... when you say "complete" were you replacing the LCAs entirely or just the bushings? My suspension is more or less intact and this seems a like a lot as preventative maintenance. I did have to replace the front driver-side CV joint but otherwise, besides the aging dampers, I think the suspension is in decent order.

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Sniper Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84221
What I Drive: '03 SVT EAP "Eurotrish"

FF Reputation: 20 Sniper Focus Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Scratch the Moog rear end links, the Prothane rear kit comes with the sway bar bushings and end links. Just dont forget to have something to keep the swaybar from "walking" because the poly bushings dont have the notches to keep the swaybar in place. A couple of 2" sections of cut heater with hose clamps wrapped on the bar or 13/16" clamping collars on each end will work.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:50 PM   #17
MichSVT
You like this.

Fan#: 49693
What I Drive: 2005 Mazda RX-8, 99 Jeep TJ

FF Reputation: 5 MichSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed03 View Post
For about $200 from Steve at Toulsey Ford you can get OE replacemnt shocks, struts and new front strut mounts and bearings, with his discount he gives, shipped to your door.

Whats your budget? Koni yellows are nice. Presently I have some with skunk2 springs (progressive rate that lower ~1.75 inches) and Im very happy. Coilovers are great as well, but don't cheap on these. Ive heard FKs and B&Gs ride very well.
Does this include springs?

Has anyone have an opinion on the Eibach Pro-Kit with the shocks struts and springs? (I believe it's a $400 or so package)
|_|.............|_|
Old 04-04-2011, 05:58 PM   #18
bmylez
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 64637
What I Drive: 2003 350Z Track

FF Reputation: 23 bmylez Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Don't get Eibach dampers. They fail early. Eibach springs are nice, though.
2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 GT - cursed
2003 350Z Track - basically stock, and it runs
Old 04-04-2011, 06:16 PM   #19
WillJongIll
Focus Rookie

Are there other bushings out there with notches that don't require the extra rigging to keep the sway bar in place?

The clamping collar solution sounds simple enough but a little difficult to visualize. I googled and found this post...

http://forums.focaljet.com/suspensio...r-install.html

But what I don't get is that he only had two collars, both are on the inside of the bushings. Wouldn't you need four of those, one on either side of the bushing?
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #20
WillJongIll
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmylez View Post
Don't get Eibach dampers. They fail early. Eibach springs are nice, though.
Do you think Eibach springs are worth an extra $100 over the Koni equivalent?

You can get the Koni Sport dampers + springs in a kit for $656 on Tirerack at the moment. But getting the bits individually, plus Eibach springs, adds up to about $744.

Bookmarks & Social Networks