weird code issues - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
enix187
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84582
What I Drive: 2003 CD silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 enix187 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
weird code issues

So after a trip to the local bojangles for breakfast with a friend in my new car, got back parked the car and went about my day. I hop in the car later and the check engine light is on, I try to drive it to a friend with a code scanner and there's no power, the cars revs hang and I have to put it to 4k to take off without bogging, I limped the car back to my house and called my friend.

the codes were p1102 and p0120, maf and tps, I couldn't figure how they magically stopped working, but the car was running terrible. So I figured to reset the codes and see if they came back....and they didn't, the cars running terrific, took it down the road and its fast as its ever been, maybe faster, I've started and cut it off three times now, and nothing. its currently cooling off until after the storms. What the heck is going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
enix187
Focus Enthusiast

started 4 times and driven about 10 miles and no recurrence
Old 04-17-2011, 12:32 PM   #3
DarwinSays
Focus Addict

Fan#: 35941
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Silver / EAP / CWP

FF Reputation: 2 DarwinSays Good Standing Member
It may have been a fluke error code. Can't say I've heard of anything like that happening before on these vehicles.

The first things I would check are your ground wires, fuses, and connectors / harnesses for those sensors.
It would be pretty unusual for both sensors to start going faulty at the same time like that, but it can certainly happen.

The fact that this happened during a storm makes me wonder if some water got somewhere it shouldn't have. What mods are on this car? SRI/CAI? Aftermarket hood?

I know you mentioned you have only just gotten the vehicle, but do you have any knowledge of whether this vehicle has ever had the motor removed, been in any accidents, or anything else that could potentially effect wire harnesses/connectors?
Even still, I would take some time to go through and inspect everything so you know for yourself. Make sure connectors are firmly seated, inspect wiring and harnesses (including those leading to the ECU) for insulation damage and so on.

Issues like that don't normally go away permanently, but they aren't likely to show themselves often either. If it does come back, then note the weather, way it was being driven, etc to maybe provide some better troubleshooting data.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
94Cobra
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79311
What I Drive: '04 Pitch Black 5dr SVT eap bld #99

FF Reputation: 2 94Cobra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by enix187 View Post
the codes were p1102 and p0120, maf and tps, I couldn't figure how they magically stopped working, but the car was running terrible. So I figured to reset the codes and see if they came back....and they didn't, the cars running terrific, took it down the road and its fast as its ever been, maybe faster, I've started and cut it off three times now, and nothing. its currently cooling off until after the storms. What the heck is going on?
I'd agree with what DarwinSays says. The only thing I'd suggest is that you keep your friend's scanner until you discover the root cause. From the sounds of it, it may prevent you from getting stranded in the meantime.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #5
enix187
Focus Enthusiast

been nearly 100 miles with no recurrence, the only variable that I changed was with my valve cover ventilation, the one on the valve cover to the airbox, it was unhooked when i bought it and I had just hooked it back up the night before. Then when the car was acting funny I pulled it loose again and haven't hooked it back up. Besides that the car is stock, terribly so. I'm thinking that it could be a fluke, but I do need the computer update, the surge between 2-3k or pretty much just steady throttle is terrible annoying.

Bookmarks & Social Networks