Tranny fluid - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-20-2004, 12:40 PM   #1
wadem
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1204
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 s2

FF Reputation: 1 wadem Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tranny fluid

Every year when it starts to get cold out my 2001 ZX3 S2 becomes very hard to shift. Sense this is my first manual transmission car I thought this was normal until I drove my friends 2002 ZX3 same engine and tranny as mine. His car shift’s much better than mine when it got cold out. I began to do a little research and the only difference I could find between the 2 cars (other than mileage 29000km on mine and 24000km on his) was that Ford started to use a different tranny fluid in 2002. Ford wants $35 per liter for this stuff, has anyone tried anything cheaper that works well in the cold. Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

Points 26,532, Level 97
Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97 Points: 26,532, Level: 97
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
It could also be the linkage/cable lubrication is getting stiffer in the cold.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:19 PM   #3
wadem
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1204
What I Drive: 2001 ZX3 s2

FF Reputation: 1 wadem Good Standing Member
I was thinking that too but his doesn't do that. I have also test driven some of the newer focus 03 and 04 last winter and they shifted pretty good as well. You could tell they were a little stiff (-25c) but not nearly as bad as mine.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:54 PM   #4
slammedfoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2137
What I Drive: 2000 Bright Amber Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slammedfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Try putting some of that Red line raceing oil tranny fluid in it. I am going to get some soon and herd that it smoothes out the shifting. I can not rembber the number of it. I think D4 or DH4 or somthing like that.
PERFORMANCE:Aem cai, Aem air bypass valve, Autolite double platinum plugs,Ford Racing 9mm plug wires, Full magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fc race header, Focus Central Flex Pipe, Fc 65mm throttel body ,Fc strut brace, Prothane lower mount inserts, Prothane front and rear swaybar bushings and rear endlink kit, Fc spark plug cover
EXTERIOR: Aerospeed lowering springs, Sidemarkers, Svt upper grill, 03 Grey Headlights, Flat Black Stock 15s, APC Gen. 2 Mirrors, Euroglow Xenon Headlights
INTERIOR: Fc short shifter, Auto meter duel a-piller guage pod, Auto meter phantom oil pressure and Volt gauges, Ford racing tach w/shift light, SVT alum. pedals, Rear seat removed
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
ModemJunki
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10639
What I Drive: '02 Red on Black SVTF - tuned by Hypnotic

FF Reputation: 3 ModemJunki Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
$35 per liter? What's it got, gold in it?

I take it you've tried some of the online discount parts warehouses...

I personally would look at all of the possible variables, starting with the shift turret, cables and associated links, as well as the fluid change.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:04 PM   #6
tension001
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2278
What I Drive: 2001 Infra-Red 5sp ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 tension001 Good Standing Member
guys, adding on to what hes asking. can you lubricate the cables or something to make the car shift easier. i want mine to glide into gears...

OBX 4-2-1 Race Header; Borla 2.5" SVT Catback; MAC Short Ram; FC 65mm TB; FC Race Shifter; Gear Concepts Aluminum Pedals; Painted Interior; SVT Front Bumper and grille
Old 09-20-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
slammedfoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 2137
What I Drive: 2000 Bright Amber Metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 slammedfoci Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I do not think you can glide into gears with a cable shift. I always herd that the shifts will be some what harsh becuse of the cables. I have felt a noticible diffrence between the two(Cable shift and rod shift like on some hondas). I think that the Redline stuff is really worth it. Besides you get what you pay for when it comes to car stuff.
PERFORMANCE:Aem cai, Aem air bypass valve, Autolite double platinum plugs,Ford Racing 9mm plug wires, Full magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fc race header, Focus Central Flex Pipe, Fc 65mm throttel body ,Fc strut brace, Prothane lower mount inserts, Prothane front and rear swaybar bushings and rear endlink kit, Fc spark plug cover
EXTERIOR: Aerospeed lowering springs, Sidemarkers, Svt upper grill, 03 Grey Headlights, Flat Black Stock 15s, APC Gen. 2 Mirrors, Euroglow Xenon Headlights
INTERIOR: Fc short shifter, Auto meter duel a-piller guage pod, Auto meter phantom oil pressure and Volt gauges, Ford racing tach w/shift light, SVT alum. pedals, Rear seat removed

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.