Open Source? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 13476
What I Drive: 2003 Infra Red SVT

FF Reputation: 17 svtguy88 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Not without someone coming up with definitions for it in an .xml - not impossible, but not likely.

Last edited by svtguy88; 04-06-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: took out bad info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
To yoda,
^Probably not. There isn't enough demand and the actual number of calibrations the code geek would have to write would be something like 15, if I understand correctly. So for the code geek to actually break even on his time spent writing it he'd have to sell to roughly 30% of the total zetec market. Being we can't agree on anything ever as a community, getting people on board with a, IMO, better tuning solution is next to impossible.

And the thing is anyone who's tuned with a flash tool or done the log, sent to Tom, Tom sends back, log again, send to Tom ... knows how much of a PITA and how long it actually takes. Now you change that to something where you tune on the fly and the time it takes to tune a car falls off a cliff, you can see right now what changes.
It just boggles my mind why that path is the least traveled.

*edit/correction

The zetec ECU does have a J3 port and it is turned on. This is how/where the old Diablo chips fit onto.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #13
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post

*edit/correction

The zetec ECU does have a J3 port and it is turned on. This is how/where the old Diablo chips fit onto.
I stand corrected. I removed the bad info from my post.

I also sent a PM to the Ford guy on OpenEcu's forums. Hoping to hear back from him...seemed very well versed on this topic.

I'd be interested in seeing the definition files that BE/EE use and compare them to the ones used by OpenEcu/Tactrix. Their website says they are .xls files. OpenEcu's definitions are in .xml. I feel like it could be an easy translation.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
drunkyoda
Hmmmmm

Fan#: 65151
What I Drive: 2003 Pitch Black LX

FF Reputation: 9 drunkyoda Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
im going to keep a close eye on this.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

That didn't take long. I got a response from the guy with the Ford thread at OpenEcu:

Quote:
Pat,

I think the new Tactrix cable supports the necessary Ford protocols in hardware, but I don't think they have developed the software drivers for it yet. Having said that, will will be forced to find another option. One of my favorite devices is the Mongoose from www.drewtech.com. It has everything you need to communicate with any Ford vehicle.

As for open development of reflashing software, I regret to say, my interests have already been compromised by the commercial aftermarket. Having said that, the amount of information that I can contribute to the cause is very limited. I started out much like yourself, hoping to generate a movement to bring this info to light. What I found is that I could count on one hand the number of people that really brought anything to the table. Because so few people actually contributed, it just made the research too valuable to each of us to release openly.

With respect to the Car PC idea, I am sure someone has done something similar with Ford already. If not, I know Drewtech has a product called the DashDaq, that is basically an embedded linux computer that has a OBD interface to do exactly what you are describing. It is pricey, starting somewhere around $650, but, considering it has everything you need, I bet it would be relatively inexpensive in the long term.

Brian
EFI-Unlimited
Sounds to me like he is making money off of his research rather than releasing it... Oh well, it was worth a shot.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #16
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

Just did a LOT more reading...

The guy over at OpenEcu seems willing to help with getting OBD data into some sort of an app running on a CarPC (such as a plugin for OpenMobile). He just must have a lot of time invested in the flashing side of things. Oh well. As I said, I own an Xcal and have Tom's tune...so I'm all set. Really would have been sweet to figure out a open-source flashing option.

Also, for those interested - Centrafuse already offers an OBD plugin for reading sensors through the OBDII port. I don't really like software that you have to pay for, but it looks pretty slick.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:37 PM   #17
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
The money thing is where most people gravitate to. Us simpletons don't realize how complicated code disassemble is or how long it actually takes to go through and 'map'.

Couple good threads you might not of read yet,
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85

What you'd need to do things yourself would be: http://www.moates.net/fe-ford-eec-co...face-p-74.html
I think. Maybe the stuff I have already can do it too, not sure, have to look into it once.

But basically you have to pull the stock programming out and find out what goes where, based on hex addressing.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:19 AM   #18
svtguy88
Focus Fanatic

^^^or utilize the hex addresses already present in the calibration file for BE/EE...if they are willing to release it. It would need to be reformatted into whatever the .xml format for OpenEcu looks like...but the hexes wouldn't change, so me thinks the hard work is already done?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Brian mentioned the DashDaq, I looked it up and it looks like a tuning on the fly device. Is this correct? And it will work on the Focus?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:09 AM   #20
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Nevermind, I found more on it. It's more like a datalogger, cel scanner.

I find this topic very interesting. When you find this stuff online can you post the links in this thread? I would like to do some research of my own.

Bookmarks & Social Networks