How many People with the SPI had a Valve Seat Failure? - Page 10 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > SPI Performance (2000-2004)

SPI Performance (2000-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L Split Port Injection engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #91
cwcwa
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104484
What I Drive: 2002 ford focus

FF Reputation: 1 cwcwa Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
hello,
I got a ford focus at about 123,000 miles and I'm concerned something like this is about to happen to my car. Sometimes when I start it up it runs super rough. After a bit it usually starts running normal. Also occasionally it does this while driving and it will lack acceleration power.
I don't know a lot about cars but i'm super low on money right now so I was going to try to figure it out and fix it myself. I thought maybe it was a timing belt issue or maybe it needed new spark plugs, but if the engine is about to explode I don't want to waste the money/time replacing a timing belt.

Do those symptoms sound like they could be an indication of this valve seat failing?

thanks
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2012, 08:22 PM   #92
02NIGHTmare
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103381
What I Drive: 2002 RED LX

FF Reputation: 1 02NIGHTmare Good Standing Member
spi valve seat

My car didn't give me any warning,it just lost all power and wouldn't keep running unless I kept my foot on the gas.Then I looked on you tube and found a focus making the same noise as mine, thats when I realized mine had dropped the valve seat. I bought most of the parts on ebay all together it cost me about $500.00 to fix it myself.Yours sounds like it might be plugs, wires, or coil pack. Mine was running like yours and I kept changing the plugs and wires and it would only run better for a short time.Then I was changing the wires and had a trouble light close to the coil pack when I noticed several cracks running the length of the coil pack. I ordered a new coil pack from Advance Auto online to save 20% off the price then went to the store to pick it up. That solved the problem.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #93
ingrl31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104833
What I Drive: 2000 red Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 ingrl31 Good Standing Member
We bought our daughter a 2000 Focus SE which had the dreaded valve seat problem. Had hoped my husband could fix the motor and would have the head machined so that it didn't happen again. Unfortunatly the block had a hole in it so we ended up buying a used motor with a good block, etc. We did have the head machined with the correct size valve seats etc...put in all new parts...dropped the motor back in and now we hear a slight ticking noise My husband checked the rod bearings, connecting rods etc and everything is torqued correctly. Does anyone know what could be causing the slight tick?
Old 10-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #94
turntablez
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83139
What I Drive: 2003 Blue Focus SPI

Points 2,776, Level 32
Points: 2,776, Level: 32 Points: 2,776, Level: 32 Points: 2,776, Level: 32
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 turntablez Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
MOst likley a lifter. I have a small tick too. Nothing to worry about. Could also be fuel injector....but that almost is never the case.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM   #95
ingrl31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104833
What I Drive: 2000 red Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 ingrl31 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by turntablez View Post
MOst likley a lifter. I have a small tick too. Nothing to worry about. Could also be fuel injector....but that almost is never the case.
Thanks! It's running out fine & you don't hear the slight tick at the higher rpm's. My husband is wondering if maybe the lifters need adjusted (if that is even possible on these motors)...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #96
smokey0169
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 96467
What I Drive: 2002 grey SE

FF Reputation: 1 smokey0169 Good Standing Member
I guess you could say I was really lucky, actually hit 180,000mi before it happened to me. #4 went and it sounded like a hammer hitting my poor engine.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #97
PuntaGorda
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105933
What I Drive: 2001, Maroon, SE

FF Reputation: 1 PuntaGorda Good Standing Member
I'm rebuilding a SOHC 2.0 SPI and have less than complete faith in the specifications provided by our trusty friends at Fel-Pro. Could I get a few second opinions on the torque specifications and end sequence for the Head Bolts? I currently have them all at 44 ft/lbs and will hold sequence until a consensus of the SPI gods has been made. Thank you.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #98
swagfocuswagon
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103591
What I Drive: '00 Focus wagon, 96 Cutlass Supreme

FF Reputation: 1 swagfocuswagon Good Standing Member
Well the motor in my Focus was rebuilt fairly recently. Im guessing this is what happened to it. Or it lost the timing belt...or both.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #99
V3N0M951
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 106526
What I Drive: 1989 Ford Probe GT

FF Reputation: 1 V3N0M951 Good Standing Member
well im new to these forums, don't know much about the focus till now that im reading this, im here because my girl has an 02 focus never knew this was a common problem, but i guess its good for another while. Her mileage if im correct sorry just kinda thinking top of my head i think is about 38k miles previous owner rarely drove it and she doesn't drive it far just in town so she hasn't even put that many miles in it either and has owned it for almost 2 years. Dam tho now i have lots of reading to do
Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #100
Iamcam
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105533
What I Drive: 2003 Sangria Red LX

FF Reputation: 1 Iamcam Good Standing Member
70,603 miles Cylinder #4 kapoof.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.