Recommend Car Wax - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 PM   #71
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
I know a guy that pretty much washed and waxed the paint right off his car.

I let him use the buffing wheel i got for christmas and his paint is all over the pads.

His rear spoiler is pretty much down to the primer and in spots he has rubbed the paint off it.

Its a 93 3000GT it looks good but man the work he has put into that thing is just insane.
Every time you put any kind if abrasive on the car it removes minuscule amounts of paint. If it was a rotary buffer you'll go right through the paint in no time flat. I don't doubt that he polished through.

I'll try to dig up a picture tomorrow. Every time I buffed my s40 the pads would be bright red. There was no clear coat so it was just the red. I bet your buddies car was single stage too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #72
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,565, Level 70
Points: 11,565, Level: 70 Points: 11,565, Level: 70 Points: 11,565, Level: 70
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Every time you put any kind if abrasive on the car it removes minuscule amounts of paint. If it was a rotary buffer you'll go right through the paint in no time flat. I don't doubt that he polished through.

I'll try to dig up a picture tomorrow. Every time I buffed my s40 the pads would be bright red. There was no clear coat so it was just the red. I bet your buddies car was single stage too.
I think he did mention somthing about single stage paint. So thats a common thing? I thought he just rubbed it so much he was rubbing the clear off and he is now down to the paint.

I think the spoiler is somthing he added later and probobly it wasnt on a heavy as the rest of the car. He just tried to wax the spoiler to help keep what was on there stay there.

I tried to find that black box stuff at walmart today they didnt have any. THey did have the NXT stuff
Old 04-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #73
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 7,729, Level 58
Points: 7,729, Level: 58 Points: 7,729, Level: 58 Points: 7,729, Level: 58
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsroar View Post
Flare? What's that mean? Every coat I put on translates into increased protection.
It was an Office Space reference that got lost on you apparently... Not a knock on detailing! I feel the same way about car care as you do; so to me: it's just preaching to the choir. Sure, the more you can do to clean, protect, and maintain the finish of you car; the better... but if you don't have the time or anal-retention to keep it all up...

And as far as trade value... I used to sell cars. I sold mine to myself! Hence the reason I've ended up with automotive-OCD; I've done a few appraisals myself and seen a couple hundred more in my time.

So again, if you wanna get by just doing the bare minimum....
Eagle 1/Turtle Wax wax-as-you-dry products will maintain a new or brand-new finish for quite some time before major corrective action is necessary; but as Lyonsroar graciously pointed out: the more layers between the car and the elements the better!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #74
lyonsroar

Quote:
I think he did mention somthing about single stage paint. So thats a common thing? I thought he just rubbed it so much he was rubbing the clear off and he is now down to the paint.

I think the spoiler is somthing he added later and probobly it wasnt on a heavy as the rest of the car. He just tried to wax the spoiler to help keep what was on there stay there.

I tried to find that black box stuff at walmart today they didnt have any. THey did have the NXT stuff
It used to be more common than it is now. A few makers still use single stage. I remember someone mentioning Nissan white and a few others.

AutoZone had the black box last time I checked, or maybe it was AdvanceAuto? I don't remember. One of the two...maybe both...
Old 04-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #75
kwaidonjin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84388
What I Drive: 2011 Blue SEL, 2003 Black SPI

FF Reputation: 1 kwaidonjin Good Standing Member
Quote:

Walmart has the NXT paste for $9 which is a pretty good deal.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #76
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,565, Level 70
Points: 11,565, Level: 70 Points: 11,565, Level: 70 Points: 11,565, Level: 70
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
What do you guys use to clean spots?

Say you wash your car, on the way home you stop by the store and before you get back bugs are all over the front and a big pile of bird goo is in the middle of the hood?

I bought this stuff i think turtle wax called bug and tar remover or something but it seems abrasive.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #77
lyonsroar

Keep a bottle of Quik Detailer (I use diluted ONR wash) and a few MF towels in the car for spots. Remember to blot, not rub.

The Big and Tar remover I don't think is abrasive, but it does have some kind of solvent in it. I won't use it because I would think it would strip protection pretty quickly.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #78
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 7,729, Level 58
Points: 7,729, Level: 58 Points: 7,729, Level: 58 Points: 7,729, Level: 58
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
What do you guys use to clean spots?

I bought this stuff i think turtle wax called bug and tar remover or something but it seems abrasive.
+1 to Lyonsroar...
Final detailer, show & shine, any of those are real handy.
I've used that turtle wax stuff though... it ends up kinda sticky and you'll have to redo the front to make it uniform again.
You could get a premium bug wash (anything Ze Germans (Audi/BMW) recommend), but that's something you'd wet the car for at the beginning of your wash process and THEN spray on... It makes getting the flotsam off easier and less risky to the finish.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #79
bay_wolf
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79215
What I Drive: 2002 White Wagon

FF Reputation: 2 bay_wolf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Collinite No. 476S for winter & Meguiars Professional Hi Tech Yellow Wax 26 for Summer.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:28 PM   #80
lyonsroar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay_wolf View Post
Collinite No. 476S for winter & Meguiars Professional Hi Tech Yellow Wax 26 for Summer.
I've heard good things about collinite for winter.

Bookmarks & Social Networks