Recommend Car Wax - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-21-2011, 12:37 AM   #61
wsupjs
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 78115
What I Drive: 2004 Competition Orange SVT

FF Reputation: 1 wsupjs Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I use Meguiars Professional line on my car and cars I detail for customers.

The best all-in-one product I've found is D151 from Meguiars. It does everything, and has a really good level of cut for a one stage product. The only drawback is the wax/sealant doesn't last as long as others, but overall it's very good for the price.

As mentioned before, there are differences between waxes and sealants. If you want a good sealant, I'd recommend M21 or NXT if you don't have access to the Professional Line.

As for a pure wax, if you can get a hold of M16 paste, GET IT. It's a great wax and lasts forever. They stopped selling it in the US though so it's tough to find a can. Make sure to lay it on really thin or else you'll be in for a long afternoon buffing it out.

For a hybrid product, I'd recommend M26. It blends the benefits of both sealant and pure wax and is reasonably priced.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 PM   #62
Custodian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79355
What I Drive: 2011 SGM Focus Sedan SE

FF Reputation: 1 Custodian Good Standing Member
The midwest has had just over 11 days of rain each day... this afternoon was sunny, so I hit the carwash after work... wiped her down & tried a coat of Autoglym for the first time.

Not really impressed... the supplied foam applicators are not as comfortable to use as my Carrand velcro handle & a microfiber pad. The wax itself spread very nicely & removed with the supplied microfiber easily after the 10 - 15 minute dry time. But the finish does not seem to be as buttery slick as the Meguiars #20 polymer sealant that I used all winter.

I was impressed by the VERY tight water beads left behind after a light rain later in the evening... I mean very tiny beads of water. I am sure that I will have to wash again several times over the next few weeks due to the rainy pattern we are in... I will post up how durable the stuff is compared to the Megs #20.
Hankook Optimo H725 on Drag DR-33
General Altimax Arctic on OEM alloys
Old 04-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #63
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
I just ordered some Finish Kare 1000p high temp wax. Supposed to be extremely durable and slick. $15 a can on Amazon too. I'll be stripping my current protection (Blackfire wet diamond) and testing this out. Will advise.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 PM   #64
kwaidonjin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84388
What I Drive: 2011 Blue SEL, 2003 Black SPI

FF Reputation: 1 kwaidonjin Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
The midwest has had just over 11 days of rain each day... this afternoon was sunny, so I hit the carwash after work... wiped her down & tried a coat of Autoglym for the first time.

Not really impressed... the supplied foam applicators are not as comfortable to use as my Carrand velcro handle & a microfiber pad. The wax itself spread very nicely & removed with the supplied microfiber easily after the 10 - 15 minute dry time. But the finish does not seem to be as buttery slick as the Meguiars #20 polymer sealant that I used all winter.

I was impressed by the VERY tight water beads left behind after a light rain later in the evening... I mean very tiny beads of water. I am sure that I will have to wash again several times over the next few weeks due to the rainy pattern we are in... I will post up how durable the stuff is compared to the Megs #20.
I has been well over 3 weeks now and still tiny water beads. Holds up nicely.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:40 AM   #65
Mile30
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 74686
What I Drive: '03 ZX3

Points 7,878, Level 59
Points: 7,878, Level: 59 Points: 7,878, Level: 59 Points: 7,878, Level: 59
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 7 Mile30 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post
Can anyone recommend a good all in one product for us lazier people that want to keep our cars looking nice(protected)? I used the turtle wax Ice and it looked great for about 3 days. Doesn't seem to hold up well, the bottle I have is from about 3 yrs ago, their newer Ice stuff is supposed to be 3X more durable.
If you just wanna do the bare minimum... and not the 37 pieces of flare...
Turtle Wax: Wax-As-U-Dry... I know, I know; people think it's crap! As long as you wash your car every two weeks at the minimum and use that with a chamois or an absorber, it'll look pretty good. I used that stuff once a week the first three years I had my car... until the finish got old and demanded a little more serious attention and products.

That whole two-week interval may contradict the laziness clause however!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:55 AM   #66
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,745, Level 71
Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
So all you guys use the wax and polish with buffer motors or what do you guys use?

I got one for Christmas but its so big i have a hard time using it. I cant get my roof and i have the hardest time with it. Being in a wheelchair makes it hard to reach.

Ive thought about trying to jack up the car on one side so i can polish and wax the roof to maybe keep it clean a little longer but i havnt tried it yet.

Im going to try that NXT and the glym stuff. Right now all i have is the meguiars ultimate compound and meguiars gold class carnauba plus.

I also have the eagle one wax as you dry stuff but i havnt used it alot. I figured it was better for hotter days.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #67
kwaidonjin
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
So all you guys use the wax and polish with buffer motors or what do you guys use?

I got one for Christmas but its so big i have a hard time using it. I cant get my roof and i have the hardest time with it. Being in a wheelchair makes it hard to reach.

Ive thought about trying to jack up the car on one side so i can polish and wax the roof to maybe keep it clean a little longer but i havnt tried it yet.

Im going to try that NXT and the glym stuff. Right now all i have is the meguiars ultimate compound and meguiars gold class carnauba plus.

I also have the eagle one wax as you dry stuff but i havnt used it alot. I figured it was better for hotter days.
I have an orbital buffer, But I don't use it, I do everything by hand.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #68
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile30 View Post
If you just wanna do the bare minimum... and not the 37 pieces of flare...
Turtle Wax: Wax-As-U-Dry... I know, I know; people think it's crap! As long as you wash your car every two weeks at the minimum and use that with a chamois or an absorber, it'll look pretty good. I used that stuff once a week the first three years I had my car... until the finish got old and demanded a little more serious attention and products.

That whole two-week interval may contradict the laziness clause however!
Flare? What's that mean? Every coat I put on translates into increased protection. I look at it as investing in my car's future and thus being fiscally responsible. When I go to trade my car in or sell it, the person will look at it and will see the sparkling exterior, not the mileage.

An example of this is my old car. It was a 2000 Volvo S40 1.9T with single stage (no clear coat) red paint. When I sold it, the paint looked like this:

Hood:

Roof:

I bought it for $5,750 and two years later I sold it for $5,250. It pays to take care of your $hit.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #69
kwaidonjin
Focus Enthusiast

I know thats right.
Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #70
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,745, Level 71
Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I know a guy that pretty much washed and waxed the paint right off his car.

I let him use the buffing wheel i got for christmas and his paint is all over the pads.

His rear spoiler is pretty much down to the primer and in spots he has rubbed the paint off it.

Its a 93 3000GT it looks good but man the work he has put into that thing is just insane.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.