Thoughts on re-drilling wheels with a little venting - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Racing Discussions > Autocross Racing

Autocross Racing The place to discuss information about autocross stats, tips and events. Track sanctioned events only.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Fan#: 5521
What I Drive: 2003 SVT Focus 2009 BMW 335i

FF Reputation: 34 tukaniSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thoughts on re-drilling wheels with a little venting

Okay ... so I have been poking at the AutoX threads this month for good wheels and tires.

Well, I finally spent the money on the Hankook RS3s and received them on Thursday.

And last Saturday, I ordered some Rota Slipstreams 16" ... because I was afraid the 15s wouldn't fit just right. And alot of the guys run well in ST with 16s. So just went with those.

BUT TODAY ... WHEN THE FREAKING WHEELS WERE TO BE HERE ...

The shop I got them from ... ordered the wrong bolt pattern ... 4x100 ... I looked at the guys and said ... "C'Mon Guys, I told you I had a Focus and you guys even joked for a moment on it, and remember the 4x108"

Well, come to find out, the supplier they get it from was just not paying attention. When they called him back, he said they are in stock ... but when we asked him to PHYSICALLY TOUCH THEM ... they weren't in stock at all.

Great.

So, the guys at the shop, ... good guys really ... said they know a great wheel guy in town that can re-drill them for 4x108 for me. Custom drilling pretty much ... Why ... O Why didn't they bring this up before. Because then I would already have my wheels. They have tons, and I mean, tons of Rotas with the 4x100 bolt pattern all over their shop.

Anyways.

So, my question ... after venting from the day.

What are your thoughts on the re-drill process and using the wheels for AutoX?

Now they showed me a set they had to re-drill for someone's VW once and the actually looked good and very sturdy. So the guys who does the re-drilling has some skills.

-Ray-

Hatch Nation Member: #147

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #2
HyBalz
Focus Addict

Fan#: 18573
What I Drive: 2000 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 49 HyBalz Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Is the center bore of the wheels the same? Do you have to pay for the re-drill? What happens if a wheel breaks due to it being re-drilled? Do they have good insurance? Will they want to pay for damages or injury, due to they're mistake in ordering? What does Rota say about re-drilling their wheels? How long will it take to get the wheels you ordered? I'd ask these questions...probably in that order, or I'd just say "No, I want the wheels I ordered".
Old 01-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #3
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
my only fear would be, would it compromise the strength? i would feel sketchy racing with them, which in turn would cause me to under perform on race day.
i say send em back, and wait for the back order. i know it sucks, but for peace of mind, i say do it.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #4
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

Yeah ... I guess you guys are right.

I will visit them on Monday and see what I can get from them ... that sucks.

Maybe they can re-fund me the cash and I can find someone else who may have them in stock ... ask them to PHYSICALLY TOUCH THEM and then order them.

What sucks more ... is our next run is next week. ERR ... I wanted to break in the tires and test out the wheels too.

-Ray-

R.I.P - FELLOW FF MEMBER, IZZY, BLK2k3GTS, will always be remembered. We will compete on a different course again one day.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:20 AM   #5
eliaslincoln
Black Mesa Racing

Fan#: 6025
What I Drive: 2010 C30 R-design & 2002 ZX3

FF Reputation: 11 eliaslincoln Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
^sad day.

yeah i would wait and get the right ones. re drilling doesn't sound safe on an auto-x wheel to me.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
I personally wouldn't race on Rotas in the first place. I mean, I know the Focus has had remarkable luck in this respect, but these one piece rims like to turn into multi-piece rims on many other cars, apparently(book experience here, don't know this to be true firsthand). That said, I sure as hell wouldn't redrill a rim that should be the right size, mainly because I highly doubt Rota would honor any warranty after a redrill.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
tukaniSVT
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST

^^ Why not J ... on the whole racing rotas?

Lots of guys here race rotas at the Road Race and the AutoX courses.

And many of them have 250+ HP.

Now, I spoke to an acquaintance amongst the road race people that races his Older BMW and he has re-drilled wheels that he has said he has used for over 2 years now. He said just make sure they make new drills between the current holes. If they fill the holes and drill on top of the fill that's when it has issues and can be unsafe.

-Ray-

Old 01-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #8
GodLovesUgly
.Flat Out.

Fan#: 56705
What I Drive: ^^^ That!

FF Reputation: 10 GodLovesUgly Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
probably because there are many horror stories involving Rotas. i've heard of a few honda guys bending them very easily and cracking them.
that wouldn't sway my choice on going with rota though, a ton of focus owners have had great luck with them.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
wrc_fan
slow

Fan#: 11913
What I Drive: 03 ZX3 Duratec 08 WRX Hatch

FF Reputation: 23 wrc_fan Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiller_1974 View Post
... mainly because I highly doubt Rota would honor any warranty after a redrill.
... not a lot of warranties out there for racing components used in competition. When it comes to racing parts, you can have 2 out of 3 of the following: light, strong, and/or cheap.

"Hella Functional - Raced, Not Hard Parked"
Old 01-23-2011, 12:27 PM   #10
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
^^True, didn't think about that, good point.

Like I said, I haven't heard of this problem with Rota regarding the Focus, and I see AutoXers using 'em regularly, so it may not apply here. But I witnessed a ring separation on My buddies' Spec V, and have heard a number of other issues with cracking and such, mostly on imports.

I wouldn't let it sway You from getting 'em either, but I would hold out for the ones You paid for, even if You have to compromise a few points early on in the season. I just can't justify redrilling on a wheel that is offered in Your bolt pattern. I would reserve that for ones that never saw 4x108 is all I'm really saying. That and if You do get a bad set, I think redrilling would only run a higher than necessary risk.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->