Yet another high idle problem - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #11
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
PCV valve should be checked every 20k miles or every 3-4 oil changes. You test it by removing it's hose from the port and blowing into it. You should feel a lot of resistance, and ideally not be able to blow into the engine. Then suck lightly and you should be able to draw in some oily smelling air from the engine. That is a proper working PCV.

We've noticed lots of problems with the PCV vacuum line on older Zetecs. The line will crack and leak vacuum, and sometimes the line will collapse under idle. Be sure to double check this line or replace it, or at least replace the rubber elbows. Ford makes an insulated replacement part that is better than the factory part for $20.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #12
focusnoworko
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104428
What I Drive: 2000 Blue Ford Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 focusnoworko Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Did you figure out what the problem was? We have a 2000 Ford Focus SE doing the same thing.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
The statement made that vacuum leaks were constant and do not come and go is absolutely and totally incorrect. On these cars they commonly come and go when the PCV line at the intake attachment point bubblegums up to suck a slight hole in it. That hole can leak and then reseal to not leak as the little flap of torn loose material flaps around in the hole. I've seen problems then suddenly it straightens up and runs fine for several months only to do it again.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Busted2000SE
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84153
What I Drive: 2000 red SE

FF Reputation: 1 Busted2000SE Good Standing Member
Just wanted to give everyone a update. The problem still was very inconsistent and would seem to happen on hotter days even though that ended up never having anything to do with it. I checked all the vac lines and the pcv was in working order. I ended up just dealing with it and would slow the engine down with the clutch if it decided to do it while I was at a stop light. I drove it this way for 6 mo since I was unemployed at the time and didn't have the money to blow at a mechanic or dealer.

Finally about 2 weeks ago the engine light came on. I plugged my scanner in and it said that the TPS sensor was showing low voltage. Got a new one from the local Napa and replaced it. Upon inspection and comparison of old to new, it was clear that the old one was very worn out. So far this seems to have fixed the random high rpm problem. I quick trip to the parts store and $45 later seems to of fixed my 2 year old problem. I just wish the code would of flashed sooner.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->