2003 cruise control shuts off - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 63 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Me Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeeshaq View Post
BC_ZX3 is RIGHT
STICKY this post!
Yup, Me too

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM   #12
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Thanks for the rep and sticky nominations, hopefully people will find this if they need to diagnose cruise control issues.

Last edited by 6SPD_soul; 03-23-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #13
bigbuick
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 54944
What I Drive: 2003 zx5

FF Reputation: 1 bigbuick Good Standing Member
My cruise wouldn't work, turns out it was the 3rd brake light burnt out. Changed the bulbs and all is fine again.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:58 PM   #14
RunninPlaya
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 84370
What I Drive: 2003 Silver SVT

FF Reputation: 1 RunninPlaya Good Standing Member
/\ /\ /\
weird, but interesting

not sure if you've thought of checking this, but if you have a vacuum leak somewhere it can throw off your cruise control. more commonly a chevy problem, but this is a possibility.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
sparky34kv
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63383
What I Drive: 2004 Blue ZTW Wagon, 2.3 L Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 sparky34kv Good Standing Member
Thanks for the diagnostic. Mine turns on the indicator in the instrument cluster, but doesn't actually engage the cruise control. With any luck this will tell me where it has gone wrong. Again, thanks for sharing.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #16
Buhda420
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85611
What I Drive: 2003 svt, silver. 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 Buhda420 Good Standing Member
Okay I just ran the diagnosis minutes ago and flash three times it did haha!!!!!! which means "Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged"....... dude it was easy and worked like a charm....... so how do i fix the number 3 problem???
Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
Buhda420
Focus Enthusiast

Thumbs up Ran test!!!!

everything was easy if you fallow step by step..... i read the instructions then wrote down the important steps so it would be fast to read........ ran the test and it was a success on first try.... results read 3 flashes which means Brake deactivation switch is open or circuit is damaged...... soo im going to be honest..... i just started working on cars and yeah so please tell me where to go from here!!!!!!!! thank you very much for all your help!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
My problem was the brake deactivation switch too. Have you had any work done on the car lately where someone would have been in drivers footwell area? Anyway, to get at the pedal switches that interact with the cruise control, you need to remove the panel underneath the steering wheel. I think the bolts are all 6 or 8 mm if I remember correctly. You will also need to get the hood release out of the way, there's a big nut on the back and a crescent wrench will loosen it some (don't remember size, might be 3/4 or something) then you pull it down out of the way; the release cable is just in a groove and the nut holds it in place. You would also need to pop the OBD scan port through the panel for the panel to come free, I think this is easiest if you get the panel loose and then use a small screwdriver or something to wedge it through the gap, look at it closely and be careful with it as it could be an expensive mistake, but it pops through pretty easily. There will be a small panel covering the OBD port and it just pops out with a finger pull at the bottom.

Once the panel is free you can get down in the footwell and examine the pedal assembly and switches. There will be 3 switches in front of the top of the pedals. The brake deactivation switch is the green one on top, stop lamp switch is grey, and clutch position switch is red. They all work the same way, they have spring loaded plungers that either open or close circuits when they extend. In the case of the brake deactivation switch, you hit the brake, the pedal arm moves away from the plunger, the plunger moves out and the circuit opens, deactivating the cruise control.

Odds are very good that green switch is faulty. The BPP switch has a ratcheting mechanism that only goes one way, so for instance, if you were to intentionally pull up on the brake pedal the plunger would go further into the switch and if you then let go of the pedal the plunger might not extend far enough back out to contact the pedal arm, and the circuit would stay open and disable the cruise control. You can test the switch by bypassing the plunger mechanism and using a little jumper wire to complete the circuit. To remove the green brake switch you rotate counter-clockwise and some tabs line up with slots and then you can pull the switch from the pedal assembly; it will be the plunger mechanism and a little wiring harness deal it mates with. You separate the two by taking a small pick or something and pulling out the square little brass tab(that's a misleading description, but you'll recognize it when you see it) it just pulls straight out and then the plunger mechanism will be free from the wiring.

I don't remember now how many wires are involved. If there are only two you can just find the corresponding connections in the bottom of the wiring harness and bridge the gap with a small (thin) jumper wire (just a small wire with stripped, nicely twisted ends like a spliff). This closes the circuit and fools the CC system into thinking that the brake pedal is in its normal position. You could then run the self diagnostic again, and if it passes you will know that the problem was the plunger switch. I'm going to try to check some schematics tomorrow and see if I can identify exactly where the jumper wire needs to go. Incidentally, you could keep the jumper wire in and leave the plunger mechanism out altogether, but then you wouldn't be able to shut off the cruise control with the brake and that's a little dangerous.

The switch was like $25 from a local dealership, so you could just buy the switch and put it in. Also, if the only thing you mess with is that green brake switch, it won't affect the car at all to leave it disconnected while you figure it out; that switch only interacts with the CC system and that's already broken, so you can't harm it anymore by leaving it disconnected.

To install the new switch, just plug the switch and harness back together, and push the square metal tab back into place. Then you have to depress the brake pedal, line up the switch correctly so it slots back in, and then turn it back clockwise until it stops. Be careful not to depress the plunger when putting the switch back in, it could effectively ruin it since it only ratchets in and doesn't come back out all the way. Then you release the brake pedal and the plunger ratchets to the correct position and that's it. Set aside plenty of time and make sure you have a good light source so you can see what's going on around the pedals.

Just realized I wrote an entire novel about a cruise control brake pedal position switch.

Last edited by 6SPD_soul; 05-17-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #19
Buhda420
Focus Enthusiast

MY CRUISE CONTROL WORKS NOW!!!!!!!!!! I OWE IT ALL TO YOU SIR :)!!!!!!!! thank you
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 AM   #20
Vexorg
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85499
What I Drive: 2001 Zx3 ChromeGold

FF Reputation: 3 Vexorg Good Standing Member
Most excellent. and welcome to hobbyist car fixing. You can learn lots on these forums. My number one advice is to find a GOOD INDIE PARTS STORE. If the store employees look like they have never heard of a PCV valve, or are experts at selling Air Fresheners, and pushing the counter product of the day... this is NOT your part store.

My part store rocks. There's several parts veterans there... and they sell to many regional repair shops. That's the first clue you are onto something. 2nd clue.. They have super good filters in stock. Look for brands like Hastings, Wix, and Purolator. When you need a part, do they have to order pretty much anything, or can they have it later today, or it's in the back..... If they seem to have nothing in stock for a car as common as a Focus, this is NOT your part store. Do they specialize in shiny lights to put under your dash board? this is NOT a parts store... it's a BS retail operation.

A good part store has real stock, smart people that get you the RIGHT part, and the prices are totally fair. There's no "super protection warranty" for an extra 20$.. none of that crap. Just parts and smart people.

My car part stores are "Car Parts Warehouse" (carpartsplus) and my most favorite. Fisher Federated (Federated Auto Parts). The big losers are the shamrock guys, and the big orange zone. the Red place with the checkered flag isn't on a hate list.. so they get me by in a pinch.

Bookmarks & Social Networks