Focus Fanatics Forum banner

The penultimate guide to stopping tail light leaks on the ZX hatchback...

22K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  qweesy 
#1 ·
I removed the left (driver's side) tail light and used some silicone caulk in several places to try and stop the leak...and I THINK I slowed it down at least.

Now...the other tail light is now also leaking. Water ends up down in the spare tire well. Water runs down the back under the hatch edge from the channel in the roof and is supposed to just drip to the ground...not get inside.

To REMOVE a tail light...you open the hatch...loosen the screw that you can see under the hatch edge....then there is a large plastic nut inside that needs to be loosened to remove it. Also disconnect the wire(s) to remove it fully.

Problem does not involve the hinges at top of the hatch (in this case)...the headliner would probably be wet if they were leaking.

Thinking of buying some closed cell foam tape and putting some all around the edge of the light under it...leaving it open at the bottom for drainage.

Problem might also be the screw under the hatch...though I sealed it...or so I thought with silicone. Might try a soft rubber washer under it.

Did a search on this issue...lots of comments...but no real solutions...so far.

See less See more
#2 ·
Finally might have a solution to the tail light water leak problem.

What I know for sure:

* With my hatchback...the leak is not at the hinges at the top of the hatch...you can pull the headliner down past the rubber seal and feel under where the hinges mount for water...there was none.

* I did stop the leak at the left side tail light...my previous attempt didn't totally stop the leak...but slowed it down some. Last attempt did stop it.

In the pic below...you can see ARROWS pointing to where I used some clear silicone caulk to seal around rubber grommets or at where rubber seals sit vs the body.

The first time through I did not use caulk at the edges at top and along the left side...so I'm thinking this is where it was leaking.

Since you need to pull the tail light off to replace the bulbs...you wouldn't want to seal the assembly on there for good.

So except for where the wires come through...you could use some thin closed cell foam tape instead of silicone. Though the small screw to the right that is under the hatch might need some silicone...since water tends to stream right down past this screw.

First area to seal is probably along the top and especially along the left edge.

But ultimately...I'm just guessing that the issue is mostly along the edges...cause that is what seems to have stopped the leak.

As far as what to seal it with...I'm not too worried about getting the tail light off using the silicone I have...since it isn't really curing that well. Some kinds of silicone will grip real well and might be an issue.

Foam tape might work along the edges...especially along the top.

#3 ·
Did the right side light cause it was leaking too. Used silicone caulk top and along the outside. Silicone caulk around the rubber grommet where the wires come through. Thin foam tape at the other openings...plus some silicone at the small screw under the hatch.

Warning: when you loosen the light...it will probably hang by the rubber seal on the outside edge...as in the pic above. I found that if you are not careful you can snap off the tip of the tail light lense at top if you aren't careful. A bit of plastic solvent and silicone made it good as new...well almost.

#4 ·
Have likely stopped the tail light leaks...but still have a leak on the drivers side located near where the rear seat top latches at the side (the loop of metal?). Will try using some black silicone in the gap at the top of the rear window.

#5 ·
FINALLY got all the leaks stopped.

I bought a tube of black silicone at Lowes...cut the tip at an angle...pretty fine.

Ran a bead in the opening above the rear window and down past the plastic triangle to the rear of the window....paying attention to sealing on the ends good.

I tried to put just enough RTV in there so that after running my finger tip over the sealant...not much was left on the edges...let it cure overnight and then rubbed the excess off...might need some cleaner and so forth to remove it all.

When done it looks OEM....and no more leaks on the side.

All I can say is to be careful what kind of sealant you use under the tail light...maybe some of the water-based stuff would be less likely to cause issues with removing the tail light to replace a bulb?

#7 ·
mine did the same thing, I tested along the edge of the window/ triangle and found nothing in my case. used clear silicone on the 3 holes under the tail light and that fixed it.

#8 ·

I spent the day trying to fix a tail light leak (into the spare tire well) all day today. No dice.

I used a rubber vibration isolator grommet from a Tohatsu 40C outboard (dense neoprene). It is a perfect fit in the plastic recess for the stud that has the wing nut, and stands "proud" beyond the lip an amount that seems just rigth.. No more leak there.

The remaining problem seems to be where the stud at the top corner of the light is supposed to snap into plastic "molly" type fitting that is pressed into the sheet metal. I think stud is no longer being captured properly, so the sealing grommet is not held tight against the body. Just e-mailed in an order (it's Sunday) for a new molly from a Ford dealer -- hope they have them.

Amazing how much water can pour in through a small hole like that.

#9 ·

I just contacted a Ford dealer to order the molly mentioned in my previous message, and the rubber grommet seals. Here is his reply:

"The plastic mollys are sold in packs of 4 only, the cost for a pack of 4 is $9.60 for the full pack ($2.40 each, part# HN4 in the attached picture). The rubber grommets do not appear to be sold separately from another item in the catalog (possibly they are part of the tail lamp assemblies)."

I couldn't figure out how to include a photo with this post (i.e. the parts diagram he sent), but have tried to include it in the ZX3 gallery, where it is pending approval.

Other part numbers of possible interest are HT1 = the threaded stud, and HN1 is the hand nut (wing nut).

#10 ·
I too am having this problem on my 02 svt focus hatch and when it rains I get water in the spare tire area but even worse is my car is catless and exhaust fumes are entering the cabin through all these holes and leaks in the rear hatch and tail light area. I know because I fixed exhaust leaks everywhere else and then still had fumes in the cabin and then my friend said it was my tail light seals and hatch seal and I taped up all the edges of the brake lights and around the hatch and then drove it again and fumes were almost non-existent!! I searched online but to no avail did I find any sort of replacement tail light seals, hatch seals/weather stripping...nothing. Think I'm gonna have a cat welded in and sell the car. Over it.

Thanks for all the answers and suggestions, but I also think we shouldn't have to put silicone in our cars to seal up poor design by ford.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.