2005 Focus odd noise from fuel pump - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2011, 02:38 AM   #1
Jamesk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83638
What I Drive: 2005

FF Reputation: 1 Jamesk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2005 Focus odd noise from fuel pump

I have a 2005 Focus with a 2.0 and when i turn the key on it makes an odd noise. It sounds like the fuel pump is making a loud noise that i cant really explain. Also since this noise has been happening the car has been taking longer to fire when cranking. Maybe my fuel pump is weak? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

Points 2,059, Level 27
Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27 Points: 2,059, Level: 27
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 88 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The pump should make a barely audible high pitched humming noise when the ignition is turned on that should last about 5 seconds. It is the pump pressurizing the fuel system. It should not be audible after that with the engine running.

Faulty fuel pumps - for which there was a TSB and an unofficial "recall" of sorts (Ford #03N01) - were in very early cars. An indication of a faulty fuel pump is stuttering and hesitation in hard right hand cornering with a less-than-full tank.

Try changing your fuel filter first. It should be done every 25K and is usually neglected. It'll put extra strain on the pump if it's clogged.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,604, Level 98
Points: 27,604, Level: 98 Points: 27,604, Level: 98 Points: 27,604, Level: 98
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Wait until the sound stops before you try to start the car, that might keep down your starting time. Like BC said if your fuel pump runs for more than 5 secs- that's a good sign that you need a new one. A new fuel filter might help, but you should start saving up for a fuel pump job even if it gets better after a new filter.

I just checked Rock Auto: Fuel pump prices there range from $165 to $320, and both of those are full assemblies which means it comes with a new sender, float, arm, hoses, pickup filter- everything. Those are usually the most expensive, but most reliable route to take. The more expensive part is the Motorcraft part. If you want to stick to a MC part, which is not a bad idea, we can hook you up with a dealer that gives us incredible discounts, and that should get the assembly down in price closer to the $165. That's for DIY. Now if you're going to take it into a shop somewhere, I'd want to check to see what kind of parts they are going to use in your car, and make sure you don't end up paying full assembly price for just a pump. Prices for just a pump would start at $100 and go up from there. I'd expect a shop to charge somewhere between $100 and $150 for just a pump. In this case I'd insist that they change the pickup filter, any in-tank rubber hoses (plastic is ok to reuse), and the fuel filter. The fuel filter should be changed with any fuel pump job- DIY or otherwise. If you go DIY, be sure that a new fuel filter is on the same receipt as the fuel pump to insure your warranty is valid.

Here's a fuel pump How-To Thread if you're interested in DIY
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153562

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:54 PM   #4
Danaw
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 88927
What I Drive: 2005 Dark Grey ZX4 SE

FF Reputation: 1 Danaw Good Standing Member
I've been told my fuel pump is going bad and I hear a strange noise when turning the key halfway and pausing a few seconds. It only happens when my car has been sitting for at least an hour. Otherwise, it drives just fine. I noticed a bit of hesitation the other night when it was really humid and I was turning left. Otherwise, it's doing fine. Guess that means I have time to save up money to get it fixed.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,604, Level 98
Points: 27,604, Level: 98 Points: 27,604, Level: 98 Points: 27,604, Level: 98
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If you DIY, you'll have to purchase a new fuel filter at the same time as the pump to maintain the warranty that comes with the pump.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Danaw
Focus Rookie

I just got a new fuel filter put in last week. Figured it was overdue and couldn't hurt. I'll be taking it someplace to get fixed as I know very little about cars. The most I do to my car is fill it with gas. On the off chance I find a friend to do it I'll remember that though.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 3,301, Level 35
Points: 3,301, Level: 35 Points: 3,301, Level: 35 Points: 3,301, Level: 35
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 21%
Activity: 21% Activity: 21% Activity: 21%
FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Hey Danaw,

If you decide to have your starting issue diagnosed at the dealer, mention this to them as well, so they can diagnose it in one trip. That may help save some time, and you'll know exactly what's going on.

~Natasha

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 08-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #8
Danaw
Focus Rookie

I haven't gone to a Ford dealership but my car was diagnosed with a bad fuel pump. I've just been trying to get 2nd opinions. EVERYONE who has heard my car says it's the fuel pump too. Only the people have haven't heard my car say it's NOT the fuel pump. For now I'll just drive and see what happens.

My car is an automatic. I can't drive a stick shift so I don't think that TSB applies to my car. (I'd give myself whip lash!)
Old 08-18-2011, 11:20 PM   #9
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,745, Level 71
Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Is there a how to on changing the fuel pump and or the fuel filter?

Danaw how many miles? im wondering how many miles they go before they fail. Im trying to keep track of the common problems on the 05-07 and how many miles those who have failures have on the failed parts. Just so ill know what to expect. I know its all hit and miss but i just want to be aware of them when i reach the same miles.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 PM   #10
Danaw
Focus Rookie

That's a good idea! I had just under 40,000 when the problem started. I just went over 40,000 miles last week. Hopefully I'll be able to save up money before it dies. I'll let you know. It WILL be kinda interesting to see how long it lasts.

While I'm here, was wondering about the "timing belt" or "Timing Chain". My old Toyota had a no-interference engine so I didn't have to worry if it went out while driving. I presume with Fords you MUST get it changed before it dies. When should you get it changed?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.