emissions testing - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

Fan#: 21542
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ST

FF Reputation: 5 aTm Beaner Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
emissions testing

hey guys!

so I've been running my car with a header and a tune for about a year now, and it's going to be vehicle inspection time pretty soon. i have a tune that disables my o2 sensor and EGR. am i going to be able to pass the OBDII port testing? will the computer put up a "not ready" code because i have them turned off. i don't have any CEL on as well. if you are running a header, or are on a tune, that disables these settings, please chime in. thanks!

TEAM DURATEC #512 ST CREW #100
2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST
Focus Sport Cool-Flo v.1, Focus Racing Cat-Back w/ Magnaflow HFC, F2 Header, Focus Sport Tune 93 Octane, Saleen Suspension Kit, Rota Slips 16x7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 09:48 AM   #2
BC_ZX3
DTC P0606

Fan#: 48751
What I Drive: 2001 Red ZX3 Turbo

FF Reputation: 86 BC_ZX3 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I run a header and HFC with a tune from Focus Power with EGR delete and rear O2 delete. If all they do is scan the OBDII port for codes, you should be fine. I've passed without problem twice over four years. No indication of a non-stock tune being present is evident. No codes.
A visual inspection for a stock catalyst might get you in hot water though. In my area, they don't lift the hood.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Its hard to say , 80% of my customers dont have any issues and about 20% do and get the "readiness not complete"

SCT is looking at a file now trying to see why

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Its hard to say , 80% of my customers dont have any issues and about 20% do and get the "readiness not complete"

SCT is looking at a file now trying to see why

Tom
here in Texas, you're cool as long as you don't have two not ready codes on cars 2003 and newer. would it be safer just have the 02 sensor disabled and click the EGR back on? thanks for the help!
2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST
Focus Sport Cool-Flo v.1, Focus Racing Cat-Back w/ Magnaflow HFC, F2 Header, Focus Sport Tune 93 Octane, Saleen Suspension Kit, Rota Slips 16x7
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
When they plug in in most cases they read surface cores CEL and read what the ECU is testing thats when you get the "readiness not complete" so its hard to say if you will pass with no issues or not

I would give it a try here in NC you get one free retest and in most states your allowed 1 test fail or not complete and it still passes

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
theres actually a few pcm updates for the older model focus, when i bought mine last week i couldnt get the cat or evap monitors to run, so we ran the two updates (one for the extended crank on 2.3 motors, and one for the p2004 MIL on which was for a random misfire i believe) so if i were u i would try to run it by a ford dealer and get those done so it could help...i work at ford so it was a perk to be able to actually do all these tests myself to get mine to pass inspection, but usually it is only 1 allowed monitor to fail.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05focusST91 View Post
theres actually a few pcm updates for the older model focus, when i bought mine last week i couldnt get the cat or evap monitors to run, so we ran the two updates (one for the extended crank on 2.3 motors, and one for the p2004 MIL on which was for a random misfire i believe) so if i were u i would try to run it by a ford dealer and get those done so it could help...i work at ford so it was a perk to be able to actually do all these tests myself to get mine to pass inspection, but usually it is only 1 allowed monitor to fail.
I have had the PCM update on the car. I did it in 2009 I believe.
2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST
Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
PSUrivie
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
yeah I'm running a HFC, header, and have a wideband installed. I'm also running a tune from Tom. I had the same problem with inspection. I had a "emission system not ready". I just asked Tom the send me a tune file of the same tune I have with the rear o2 ON. I then reinstalled my original o2 using the spark plug fouler trick. I drove around for a few miles to let the system go to a ready status and went back the the shop. Got my new stickers and when I came home I reinstalled my wideband and loaded my original tune. As far as I know this may be the only work around.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05focusST91 View Post
He has a tune in his car and cannot go to Ford to get an update or it will lock his xcal and remove his custom tune , He could go back to the stock tune but then he will get CEL and still wouldnt pass

My guess is if you couldnt get the EVAP or CAT to clear you may of had a tune in the car and now its gone , most tuners turn off the EVAP and CAT (rear o2)

Tom

Customer Support

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
aTm Beaner
Focus Addict

would the EVAP be the same thing as the EGR, or is that something completely different?
2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST

Bookmarks & Social Networks