Short throw AUTOMATIC shifter - Page 15 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #141
f_o_c_u_s
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 71348
What I Drive: 2006 maroon ZX4

FF Reputation: 2 f_o_c_u_s Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
@spoonman i own an ATX personally i hate cuz i wanna manual but the car was a birthday gift so i cant complain. Anyway, when i drive i love off the gas when the car shifts seems to help wit better response going into the next gear (course that could just be my imagination, and my tranny is messed up frome some stuff ive done) but i have talked to people that have seen me drive and stuff ive done, and when they seen i had an auto there draw hit the ground. I do some of the same stuff you mentioned that you do too. and to anyone out there, does as far as putting an aftermarket shifter on an ATX what can i do wit my overdrive button?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2010, 09:15 PM   #142
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Fan#: 49277
What I Drive: 2K5 ZX4 SEt (ATX) French Blue, Met

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Thanks for this. Rep to ya. I've been wanting to do this for a while and while I know I won't get any performance gains from it, I like the looks of it. And IMHO, I think the term "short throw" is a general term used for a short shifter regardless of ATX or MTX.
Sedan Revolution #61 / NW Posse #2
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Complete 'How-To' Archive
General Racing Thread Rules
Old 09-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #143
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

FF Reputation: 119 CJohn364 Excellent Standing MemberCJohn364 Excellent Standing Member
Well, I did this mod today and it looks great. However, I couldn't find a way to really secure it. I mean, it looks cool and works, but I couldn't secure it and still be able to push the knob down. How did you secure yours. I relocated my OD button to the center consol on the driver's side between the ebrake and shifter. Thanks agian for the idea.

Posted via FF Mobile
Old 04-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #144
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Okay, for those that would like to do this. I recommend getting a shift knob for an automatic, so that way, it will have the push button rather than having to push down the whole knob (easier that way). I was running just a manual type knob, but I had to fabricate a sleeve out of PVC pipe so that the knob was more secure on the shifter. I just recently decided to go with the automatic shift knob and it works so much better. I went with a MOMO automatic shift knob that I got from eBay.

FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules

Last edited by CJohn364; 04-27-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #145
runfocusrun
Focus Addict

Fan#: 43029
What I Drive: 2002 Infra-red ZX5

FF Reputation: 8 runfocusrun Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
@ CJohn364

Looks really great, is there a write-up on here somewhere so I can do this as well. I've been wanting to change that stick for ages but didn't find anything as good looking as this.
Thnks in advance.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #146
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

The only write up I followed was the one in post #1 in this thread. It's simple to follow.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #147
Areol
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58857
What I Drive: 2004 Black Ebony Duratec 2.3 ZX3

FF Reputation: 19 Areol Great Standing Member
DAMN! Talk about rising from the dead! I like this mod... its something for us ATX foke that want a little more style, nothing wrong with that!
Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #148
e30og
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83765
What I Drive: '13 SG 4dr, Manual

FF Reputation: 2 e30og Good Standing Member
I had a civic before, ATX. I put the same exact shifter on it, except I put a leather boot on it too, and it looked exactly like a manual. Cop pulled me over for chirping the tires off the line, and he let me off when I told him I let off the clutch too fast haha. It helped to mitigate some of my deep emotional frustration with having an ATX. too bad I still have one now too :( at least the new fofo ATX shiftknob is good looking and not 8 feet tall like before :)
Old 04-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #149
CJohn364
GoKart and Me!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30og View Post
I had a civic before, ATX. I put the same exact shifter on it, except I put a leather boot on it too, and it looked exactly like a manual. Cop pulled me over for chirping the tires off the line, and he let me off when I told him I let off the clutch too fast haha. It helped to mitigate some of my deep emotional frustration with having an ATX. too bad I still have one now too :( at least the new fofo ATX shiftknob is good looking and not 8 feet tall like before :)
Haha, that's awesome. Yeah, I've thought about putting a boot on it, but I prolly won't.
FF Moderator
Member Rules
Buy-Sell-Trade Rules
Old 04-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #150
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It might be a dumb mod to some people but IMO the stock shift T handle is fugly

I had to do a few things to mine to get it to work.

Once i cut the shifter down and bolted the new handle on my key wouldnt come out. I had to clip one of the wires going to a switch inside the shift mechanism now it releases the key.

Its really similar to a stick now though, i can move it in and out of gear with the car off or move it to different shift positions without pressing the button.

I relocated the O/D button on the stock shifter to a new location

Bookmarks & Social Networks