Post For 2012 When You Get a Vin# - Page 397 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #3961
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by electech View Post
Wife and daughter are very happy it is finally here. I can see what people fuss about on the tranny though!!!
What in particular about the DCT have you noticed in a fussy way? I should be picking my Ti HB in less than two weeks...

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #3962
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
What in particular about the DCT have you noticed in a fussy way? I should be picking my Ti HB in less than two weeks...

Brian
I know the question wasn't directly asked of me, but I've had mine since 5/3/12, and my 4/23/12 build with the DCT hasn't given me any real trouble so far, ok so I only have less than 440 miles on the car as of today, but I've been driving mostly to and from work in some stop and go traffic with a few miles of freeway/ highway driving each way. I do try and avoid crawling in traffic (well at least the 0-5 mph region, but even if I get stuck doing it so far I haven't really noticed any of the shuddering and jerking that others have reported.)

I did get into the car initially knowing that it was a manual gearbox with two separate output shafts and no torque converter, coming from my previous car which was a manual I'll have to admit that it does change gear smoother than I could, although that's mostly down to the fact that with two clutches it is always applying rolling or drive torque to the wheels while accelerating rather than the brief drops in applied torque during a shift that is usually felt with a single clutch manual transmission.

Perhaps I may have felt something odd once, but that was only when coming to a near stop when I feathered my foot on the brake pedal and it felt like the car was still applying the brakes slightly to allow for the simulated creep to mimic a torque converter automatic, but in general I really do like it.

I have found that if you drive it very gently it will shift between 1250-2000 rpm, a little bit more throttle and its 2-2500 rpm, a little more still 2500-4000, and even in drive if you go to WOT and hold it for a while it will shift at around 500 rpm before redline, or possibly all the way to red line, but I try not to do that very often if at all in my new car while its still not broken in.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:23 PM   #3963
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Good info ...

One thing kind of just occurred to be with respect to the shuddering ...

If you are accelerating in first and the car is changing to second there is a time when torque is being applied in a positive direction on the clutch for gear one, but as gear two begins to take hold the torque on the clutch for gear one would go negative. Perhaps there's a bucking situation as the torque switches from positive to negative. And, since the shuddering is worst from first to second this may well be because the torque on the clutch is highest in the lower gears.

Brian
Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #3964
nhemti
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96686
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium - TMB

FF Reputation: 1 nhemti Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhemti View Post
She came in today!

Delivery will be tomorrow.

Order: 3/29/2012
VIN: 4/16/2012
Sticker: 4/24/2012
Build: 4/30/2012
ETA: 5/14/2012
Arrival: 5/14/2012
Delivery: 5/15/2012
She's a bit dirty but the rain and pollen have been non-stop in NH. So far so fun , the DCT doesn't really feel like it is shuddering so much as it feels like a manual instead of automatic. Only put about 50 miles on her today though.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #3965
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85620
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 electech Good Standing Member
Looking good, glad you finally got her!!! Love that black but I could never keep it clean enough!!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #3966
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by electech View Post
Looking good, glad you finally got her!!! Love that black but I could never keep it clean enough!!
It is hard to beat a deep black car that's really clean and shinny, BUT, it's impossible to keep it that way...

Brian
Old 05-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #3967
electech
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85620
What I Drive: '12 Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 electech Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post

Brian
Brian, it is not too hard to see what the fuss is about. We have the benefit of knowing what to expect and to be honest, the tranny is not terrible but had I not been exposed to this site and knew what to expect, I might be really disappointed. The dealers need to be educated for one thing but I do think they have got the programming closer to where it needs to be. For me, I honestly think a lot of the problem could be attributed to such an easy/quick reacting throttle. For instance, start out with light throttle and then decide to give it more and it is just perfect to catch the 1/2 shift and that gives it a jerk and then if you keep accelerating and just happen to let off the tiniest bit, the 2/3 shift results in a jump in rpm, much like you didn't let off the throttle soon enough before pushing in the clutch on a manual. I think learning the throttle is going to help as much as anything. Yesterday in heavy traffic, I finally just put it in sport mode and done the shifting when I wanted to, which meant holding the gears longer. Like was stated, light throttle equals a below 2000 rpm shift and usually a rattle when a bit of throttle is applied!!

Get this though, this little rascal will bark the tires on the 1/2 shift on dry pavement!!! I done this quite by accident, going in a straight line too. I thought it was just a one time, freak event. Nope, I can do it about everytime if I try. Keep the throttle nailed, hit the shift button as it passes 6000 and don't let off the throttle. A good, hard bark will ensue and I haven't had a vehicle that I could do that too, ever. I did ride to high school back in the day with a friend who had a brand new, 1976 Trans Am with a 400 and 4 speed that would do it though!!
Old 05-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #3968
gtp2focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63959
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SE Sport

FF Reputation: 2 gtp2focus Good Standing Member
Well she ordered a sonic blue and an oxford white because I couldn't decide and the sonic blue came in today my oxford white should be here tomorrow or Friday :)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #3969
Woodsman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96888
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 Woodsman Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtp2focus View Post
Well she ordered a sonic blue and an oxford white because I couldn't decide and the sonic blue came in today my oxford white should be here tomorrow or Friday :)
You are going to be a two MK3 Focus family?

2012 Focus: 2.0L Duratec GDI, Hatchback, SE Sport, 3.82 Torque Vectoring, 5MT, Winter Package, 203A, Race Red - Original Owner
Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM   #3970
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsman View Post
You are going to be a two MK3 Focus family?

I'm thinking they said the dealership ordered one of each, but that they ended up deciding on the Oxford White, but I could be misinterpreting what they meant there. The other possible meaning is what you described that they were buying two of them, but that seems less likely to me, but idk.

Bookmarks & Social Networks