The Duratec Sparkplug Sticky - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Second Generation > DURATEC Performance (2008-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2008-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #151
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Replaced my plugs today. I stuck with the A104's. I wanted to see if there would be a difference.

Sure enough there was. Idle is a lot smoother, vibration at idle with no A/C on is almost gone.

What bothered me is that when I pulled the old plugs there was a bit of oil in the threads of each one but no where else. I then realized it is more than likely just a bit of unburnt fuel.

I checked the valley's of each spark plug, checked the valve cover gasket, not burning oil. no leaks. Just on the threads. heh.

As to HP gains, I have no idea, but the car is running smoother than it has been since the old throttle body was replaced under warranty last year. We'll see if the issue comes back any time soon. I was really surprised to find the boots completely dry of dielectric grease, but they aren't anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #152
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Hey ladies?

About to hit 30k on this set of a103s gapped at .055

Still runnin great will swap them out for a fresh set next week. Getting close to 130k on motor. Engine still runs great, but a/c compressor is on its way out and I have an awful clunk in the front end over bumps, I think it's my splash guard and broken plastic.

Still getting avg of 32mpg, but only 12 mile drives now as opposed to my old 45 miles one way to work when I'd get 38mpg.

But I don't drive my car much at all, only in the winter and rainy days as my motorcycle is my obsession now.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:37 PM   #153
wickedgreyzx3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34204
What I Drive: 2006 ZX3 Liquid Grey

FF Reputation: 17 wickedgreyzx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Just changed out a set of 103s for another set. I probably could've got another 30k on the set that were in there. Gap only increased from .055" to .058". Set the gap at .055" again. On a plus side no oil or any of the sorts were in the spark plug guides.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:12 PM   #154
a car nut
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 53615
What I Drive: 04 focus zx3, premium, liquid grey

FF Reputation: 1 a car nut Good Standing Member
I had three Focus either owned or driven regularly; 02 Wag, (sold ), 00 SE, SPI; 04 ZX3, CAL 2.3 w/ 5 speed. I've probably tired every type and brand of plug over several years keeping track of fuel consumption over a 10k period.

I can confirm that copper plugs do seem to work the best; the trend towards Iridum is fine for long life, but poor for fuel economy. I've made the switch yet again to AR103, which over the last 4K or so have improved fuel economy over the 104's that were tried previously; the highway milage gain seems to be about 1 to 1.5 mpg, depending upon speed. Life of the plug seems to so far about what I expected; estimated to be about 12 to 15k based upon the last check of the gap. I remember when Bosch used to sell silver plugs and they did seem to improve milage even over copper, but haven't seem them in ages....
Old 09-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #155
xRESSLERxZX3x
Focus Addict

Fan#: 100517
What I Drive: 98 zx2 sport

FF Reputation: 1 xRESSLERxZX3x Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Just put a set of 104's in a few days ago and what an improvement of the platinum a that ford calls for

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile now Free
Rally Revolution #20
Team Duratec #37
[HOONIGAN]
I fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley
Old 09-03-2013, 12:29 PM   #156
bile0026
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97349
What I Drive: 2009 Amber Gold Metalic Focus

FF Reputation: 7 bile0026 Good Standing Member
Put in the AR103's over the weekend and I have to say, it does feel a bit more peppy and my idle is much better especially with the A/C on. Before the change I installed the Massive dogbone mount and would get a rough idle but very minimal now! Very impressed. Now we'll see how the MPG does.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #157
Miller88
Focus Addict

Fan#: 73790
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
My car is going to be hitting 36K within the next few weeks. I think I am going to be changing the plugs on it. I have never had a vehicle with 100K plugs that looked good at 40K miles.

I'm afraid to change them though as they are on an aluminum head.

How likely is it that I will strip the head. I'm planning on threading them on with a fuel line, tightening them by finger, then just doing 1/16 of a turn to snug them up.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:28 AM   #158
Dukttape
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94135
What I Drive: 2011 Sangria Red SE Sedan "Fiona"

FF Reputation: 1 Dukttape Good Standing Member
I've done mine twice now all I do is use a spark plug socket, 6" extention (only one I have) and a regular socket wrench and just run them until it tightens up and give it a tug to firm it up. Don't worry to much about stripping it unless your going to HeMan them in.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #159
Miller88
Focus Addict

I've changed spark plugs a million times on engines with cast iron heads. Just a bit worried about trying on Aluminum.

Figure if I do it while the car is still only a few years old, I will be less likely to have problems.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #160
Miller88
Focus Addict

They made a scary crunching noise when I took them out ... I thought I stripped the threads!

Wasn't that bad actually, by far the easiest spark plug change I have ever done! The car idles much smoother now and I have a lot of power back under 3500RPM. There's a hill that I used to be able to go up in 5th gear that I had to downshift the last year or so. Now it seems to have all of it's power back.

Only concerning thing was the spark plug wells for cylinders 2 and 3 were filled with oil. Blew out a puff of smoke on startup!

Bookmarks & Social Networks