The Duratec Sparkplug Sticky - Page 13 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #121
NX_Focus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 13160
What I Drive: 07ZX3,hayabusa& gsxr,3stangs,98rngr

FF Reputation: 2 NX_Focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
got mine at advance auto. 2.19 each plus guy gave me a pack of grease for them
I don't need.
To impress people,
I don't know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #122
04zts
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9926
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

FF Reputation: 1 04zts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
just a heads up guys.

09/04/03 > 04/05/04 2.3's used the 22 series motorcraft plugs from the factory. i believe these would equate to the 103's.

04/05/04 and newer 2.3's used the 32 series motorcraft plugs from the factory. i believe these would equate to the 104's.

being that my zts was an early model, the only benefit from changing plugs would be to keep the car running normal. i have about 87k on the originals, and there is a minimal rough idle, but nothing i think anyone else would notice. i think i will just replace with oem plugs since i get them for 10% over cost being an employee.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:30 PM   #123
bmxninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75939
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 bmxninja Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04zts View Post
just a heads up guys.

09/04/03 > 04/05/04 2.3's used the 22 series motorcraft plugs from the factory. i believe these would equate to the 103's.

04/05/04 and newer 2.3's used the 32 series motorcraft plugs from the factory. i believe these would equate to the 104's.

being that my zts was an early model, the only benefit from changing plugs would be to keep the car running normal. i have about 87k on the originals, and there is a minimal rough idle, but nothing i think anyone else would notice. i think i will just replace with oem plugs since i get them for 10% over cost being an employee.

+1

everyplace i checked said i should use the autolite 104s, i have an 06 ST
Old 04-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #124
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
just a heads up guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxninja View Post
+1

everyplace i checked said i should use the autolite 104s, i have an 06 ST
104s are the recommended heat range for the 2.3, but most performance-oriented people go one step colder with the 103. The tuning lead of this site (Tom) recommends the AR103s, which have a cut back electrode, allowing for more exposure for the spark.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #125
04zts
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9926
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer

FF Reputation: 1 04zts Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisEnforcer View Post
104s are the recommended heat range for the 2.3, but most performance-oriented people go one step colder with the 103. The tuning lead of this site (Tom) recommends the AR103s, which have a cut back electrode, allowing for more exposure for the spark.
103's are stock in the early 2.3's, as noted in my notes above, so going to 104's doesn't seem like a smart move.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #126
bmxninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75939
What I Drive: 2006 Liquid Grey ST

FF Reputation: 1 bmxninja Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisEnforcer View Post
thanks for the info, gonna order some and see if there is a difference, my car is at 73k now so its def gettin to be time to replace anyway
Old 04-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #127
jabulon
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 80777
What I Drive: 2007 Black ZX3 2.0

FF Reputation: 1 jabulon Good Standing Member
Smile

A bit off topic:
I have gapped my AR103 to 0.065 a few days back. The engine behaved beautifully, until this one time I needed to reach about 5k while the engine was still cold; it stalled, and I've decided to go back to .060.
One thing I've noticed while gapping it on the first time, was some oil on the threads of two of the plugs. It did not look too suspicious to me then, so I simply wiped the threads off of the oil and put them back in.
But,
Today, I found out that the same two plugs are again covered in oil.
Dose anyone have any insights on the issue ?

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #128
NemesisEnforcer
Force-Powered Focus

Fan#: 48598
What I Drive: LIQUID GRAY 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 352 NemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing MemberNemesisEnforcer Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
103's are stock in the early 2.3's, as noted in my notes above, so going to 104's doesn't seem like a smart move.
The info is actually from Turbo Tom, not me. He is generally noted as the guru of the focus, as he has his own dyno and has done countless tests. He likes the AR103, not the regular 103s. Maybe the cutback electrode is why he says to do the step colder, not sure. I know that he (way back) ran a ton of tests and found that the 103 gapped .055-.060 yielded the best HP.

I defer to him on the subject, though I myself ran a LOT of tests on plugs...take a look at my old threads.

I run ar94s, but those are special, and not everyone here can run them.
GIVE DUE REP!! ST Crew #78 /Duratec Crew #91
Go Pats!! Go Green!! Go Sox!! Go B's!
Seeker of Wisdom, LG Crew #1
Resident Sith Lord & Jedi Master, MMA
Thx to those in the military.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #129
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCustom View Post
Just got back from autozone about 30 mins ago, picked up the copper Autolite 103s. Engine is cooling for now, I will get them in about an hour from now, then run to the store. So gap them at .55, factory says .50 or .51 what about inbetween .50-.55? I guess the 3-4 points don't really matter much?
In my experience when gapping, every point matters.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 PM   #130
CriticalMass
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63989
What I Drive: 2009 Focus Coupe SES, Silver

FF Reputation: 2 CriticalMass Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabulon View Post
A bit off topic:
I have gapped my AR103 to 0.065 a few days back. The engine behaved beautifully, until this one time I needed to reach about 5k while the engine was still cold; it stalled, and I've decided to go back to .060.
One thing I've noticed while gapping it on the first time, was some oil on the threads of two of the plugs. It did not look too suspicious to me then, so I simply wiped the threads off of the oil and put them back in.
But,
Today, I found out that the same two plugs are again covered in oil.
Dose anyone have any insights on the issue ?

Thanks!
Valve Cover or Head Gasket Possibly? How many miles on the engine? Is the plug itself fouled or are you seeing it in the threads only? Less likely possibilities would be worn piston rings.

Bookmarks & Social Networks