Who's considering the Focus Electric? - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Who's considering the Focus Electric?
Yes 12 12.37%
Maybe 10 10.31%
No 64 65.98%
Need More Information 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #61
Mike_Mac
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61110
What I Drive: 04 Red/Black ZX5, 00 infared ZTS

Points 2,332, Level 29
Points: 2,332, Level: 29 Points: 2,332, Level: 29 Points: 2,332, Level: 29
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 12 Mike_Mac Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
when i drove it it could accelerate up to highway speeds pretty quickly. i was surprised i'm positive it did it much quicker then my 01 Taurus, but not as fast as my procharged 04 focus. the car is also the quietest thing i have ever been in, which was a major selling point to me, it seemed really refined and luxurious.

the car can be fully charged off a 120v source in 6 hours assuming its completely dead.

will i buy one, no i can't afford it. would i if i had a good amount of money maybe, have to see what incentives you can get on one.

but yes they need to implement some of the concepts they were presenting.

i also think it can get more then 100miles range or atleast the one i drove had been doing 10 mile trips for 2 hours straight. and when swapping out drivers they didn't charge it. when i was done driving it it still said it had 56 mile range left.

right now they really need a break threw in energy storage. if they can find something cheap and high density i could see electric cars taking off pretty quickly. till then i think an expectation of EV's penetration to be maybe 1-2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid03SVT View Post
"100 mile range" = not likely to actually get 100 miles out of it, not if you use the radio, heat, ac, windows, door locks, nav, or any other electronic device. My commute is about 30miles each way, on CT highways; a top speed of 84mph isnt going to cut it, not to mention the abysmal acceleration. I'd have to plug it in every night with the hopes that it's fully charged the next day, not to mention when I travel for work about the state.
I'll keep my motorcycle for the summer (better than 40mpg on average) and get something else for the winter.

I like the idea of electric cars, but the technology just isn't there yet to make them a viable option, and neither is the infrastructure, mainly quick charge stations.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #62
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98139
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Electric

Points 225, Level 4
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Spare Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes, i have ordered the FFE vehicle.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:11 AM   #63
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86472
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 CharlieRose Good Standing Member
I've got a 65 mile round trip commute, so before I could even consider it, my employer would have to install charging stations. But I like the FFE, except for the price.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 AM   #64
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieRose View Post
I've got a 65 mile round trip commute, so before I could even consider it, my employer would have to install charging stations. But I like the FFE, except for the price.
Charlie, I have an 80 mile round commute, same problem. My employer had room in his electric panel boxes for a 40 amp 240 circuit breaker. I talked to him and he opted to install an outside outlet for my charger.

For us the FFE makes a world of economic sense. My guess is you are commutiong 16-17000 miles per year. I am doing 20,000. I spend $3300 on gasoline. With the FFE I will be spending $600.00 per year. So I will be saving $2700.00 per year!!!

I ordered my car in Novemeber of 2011. The Chicago Tribune just wrote a story that Ford is delivering to dealers, their first round of cars, this weekend. I am excited because I am in the first round. Hopefully, I will be getting it within the next week.

http://insideevs.com/chicago-tribune...-this-weekend/

I will keep you posted on my savings.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:48 AM   #65
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
Charlie, I have an 80 mile round commute, same problem. My employer had room in his electric panel boxes for a 40 amp 240 circuit breaker. I talked to him and he opted to install an outside outlet for my charger.

For us the FFE makes a world of economic sense. My guess is you are commutiong 16-17000 miles per year. I am doing 20,000. I spend $3300 on gasoline. With the FFE I will be spending $600.00 per year. So I will be saving $2700.00 per year!!!

I ordered my car in Novemeber of 2011. The Chicago Tribune just wrote a story that Ford is delivering to dealers, their first round of cars, this weekend. I am excited because I am in the first round. Hopefully, I will be getting it within the next week.

http://insideevs.com/chicago-tribune...-this-weekend/

I will keep you posted on my savings.
Spare,

Please do let us know how it works out. I'm intrigued by the Focus Electric, and I hope it catches on like wildfire, but here are how the numbers work out for me...

I paid $17,200 for my gas-powered 2012 Focus SE, versus $32,500 (with the tax break) for the Focus Electric. (NOT including an extra $1500 for the home charging unit.)
I average ~39MPG in my current Focus, which equates to $6.60 of gas per workday (assuming $4.00 gas).
So I spend $1716 per year on gas to commute 16,900 miles.
The same distance would cost $676 per year in a Focus Electric (at $0.04 per mile).
The operating savings, $1040, would take nearly 15 years to recoup the extra cost of the Focus Electric ($32,500) vs. my gas Focus ($17,200). Add at least another year to pay for the charging unit.
So I'd be 16 years out from breaking even on a Focus Electric. Plus I couldn't take it on road trips.

So economically it doesn't make any sense right now. But like I said, I'm stoked about the technology, and if you're doing it purely for geopolitical and/or environmental reasons, I admire that too.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #66
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
The above is a good picture of the delemma facing electric vehicles. The only item left out of your economics equation is comparably equipped units. The ICE Focus equiped as well as the Electric runs approximently $26-$28K. Those numbers significantly lower the equation.
That being said, I do believe there is a commitment to alternative engineering involved here. I will be smiling everytime I pass the gas pumps. It will give me great pleasure to know I am slightly reducing my carbon footprint in the universe.
I will keep you posted on my actual m/kWH in relationship to cost and other metrics.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #67
CharlieRose
Focus Enthusiast

Right, my trim level is lower, though in my mind some lower-end features, like the manual transmission, is better than the "upgrades."

And I thought about something else...if my employer installed a charger and provided the electricity, that would change my equation to about 12 years break-even since half of my charging would be free. Sounds like that's what you've got going in your case.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #68
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Charlie, I can feel you dreaming. HaHa...
For me, I just don't have that many years left to wait for the next generation of these units. But, I do believe in a reasonable period of time, 3-5 years, these autos will be amazing and competitively priced.
At this point in time I am due for a new commuter car. My current car gets 25 mpg so I am ripe to get this. If I drive this car 10 years (20,000 commuter miles/year) I will effectively pay for this auto in gasoline savings. Plus I am pushing the envelope of the future.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:14 PM   #69
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Hopefully my last update from Ford Customer Service. (I doubt it!!!)

Mr. Foss,

Good news! The system has been updated and your vehicle is moving! It is only moving on the plant grounds at this time, but we are under the impression that it is awaiting its rail car. We should have more information within the next couple of days. I will follow-up with you and let you know any additional information I am able to obtain 05-25-2012.

"It's only moving on the plant grounds at this time.....
Old 05-22-2012, 07:15 PM   #70
Spare
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 225, Level 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
This is from my dealer salesperson and a reference from the sales manager....

Hi Wood,

Brian had heard that the EV's should be here by June 1. Sounds a bit aggressive with the holiday but we'll
see. Will let you know if I hear anything....

Regards,

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.