Who's considering the Focus Electric? - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Focus Electric

Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Who's considering the Focus Electric?
Yes 12 12.37%
Maybe 10 10.31%
No 64 65.98%
Need More Information 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #41
TimothyDike
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85682
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SES Coupe

FF Reputation: 1 TimothyDike Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
When they make an EV that can charge in 5 mins and go at least 250 miles, then you will get my attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #42
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
Amen timothy. electric cars have a ways to go. what good does a range of 50 miles do me and then u gotta wait 8 hours.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, race exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #43
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87642
What I Drive: 2004 Audi A4 Quattro

FF Reputation: 1 voip-ninja Good Standing Member
Nissan leaf can get a full 80 mile charge in 30 minutes on 480V. Focus can get 80 mile charge in 4 hours on regular 220V available in 90% of homes.

Yes, the charging takes too long for people who drive more than 50 miles a day, or people that want to use the car for all day trips, but many people don't need this capability in a daily driver.

I understand that it takes too long for people like yourself, but there's no reason to distort the facts to try to make a point.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #44
redav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86142
What I Drive: 2002, Yellow Mazda

FF Reputation: 1 redav Good Standing Member
The notion that you have to charge an EV x hours every night is a misconception.

All those 8 hr (or so) figures that folks like to throw around are to fill the battery from completely empty to completely full. But in real life, you only refill what you've used, not the whole thing.

My daily commute is 13 mi. If I plugged it in only twice a week, it would be plenty, and even then it would only take a few hours with a reg 110 V outlet, which is a complete non-hassle when parking in my garage at night. If I bought an eFocus, I wouldn't even bother buying the high-speed charger.

I disagree with the idea that an EV is pointless if it doesn't do what a traditional car does. That is like saying bikes are pointless because they don't do what cars do. The fact is, it doesn't need to. If you are in a position where a bike suits your need, it's awesome, and it may even be superior to a car. (That was the case for me in college.) In fact, you can own both a car and a bike. If you are in a position where an EV suits your needs, I fully expect you'd find them awesome, too. For me, an EV, even with the 80 mi range of the eFocus, would be superior to an ICE car because it is a better fit for my needs. They're just still too expensive. If the price was comparable to a hybrid like the Prius (i.e., just a few thousand more than a comparable ICE), it would be worth it to me to buy one.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #45
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

I agree with your points. The average buyer rarely drives more than 40-50 miles a day anyway and many families own a second car which is perfect for longer trips.

Arguing that electrics suck because they can't go 250 miles on a charge and charge in 5 minutes is like arguing that you "need" to drive a pickup that gets 15 mpg because you haul sh!t home from the lumber yard once or twice a year. People being afraid of change is what it usually boils down to. I'm a big proponent of people doing what they want (driving something with crappy gas mileage if that's what makes them happy) just don't complain when gas hits $6+ a gallon in a few years and the people with electrics aren't paying hundreds a month to fuel their ride.

In fact for many people with a typical commute an electric is actually more convenient because you "fuel up" over night, in your own garage. No side trips to the gas station.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #46
dhuff
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 91241
What I Drive: 2010 Honda Insight

FF Reputation: 1 dhuff Good Standing Member
Get the price down to be more competitive with the ICE Focus and the range up to 150 mi or so, and I'd be happy to consider this. Having 480V charging points more generally avail (incl. at Ford dealers) would also be a plus.

In general, I like the Focus EV more than the Nissan Leaf. It's certainly a much better looking vehicle.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:47 AM   #47
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Ah, but the price does not have to be all that competitive. If you drive 1200 miles a month, you are paying between $150-$180 a month in fuel costs, depending on where you live. That cost is going to continue to go up as gas prices inevitably go up.

By comparison the electricity costs to "fuel" your Focus EV in a lot of areas of the country would be $30-$40 a month. So you are saving about $1000 or more a month on "fuel costs" which, if you keep the vehicle for 7-10 years should offset the increased price very very easily (a recent study showed the break-even on electrics in most areas to happen in as little as 4 years).

Add to that oil changes, etc, and it's not hard to see that they can charge $7500 more for an EV and get away with it... at least as long as there is sufficient demand and high gas prices.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:04 PM   #48
Outlaw5.0
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84300
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 Outlaw5.0 Good Standing Member
Electric companys are drolling at the notion of electric cars.............its their big payday.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #49
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Yeah, you are right, we are far better off and better Americans to give our hard earned greenbacks to the oil companies than to those greedy US electric companies.

Maybe you can quote a couple more mis-factual zingers like how a few million electric cars will crush the US energy grid.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #50
bedoya_d94
Focus Addict

Fan#: 96169
What I Drive: 2011 Black SES

FF Reputation: 1 bedoya_d94 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Its great that electric cars are finally arriving day by day our world although I still believe they are a little ahead of their time and I'd rather wait about 5 more years of electric cars being around, because that's just going to give them a lot more time for technology and features to advance. And like someone said this is just too weak for me I'd need a little more power than just 84mph max and 100 miles per charge.

Bookmarks & Social Networks