Who's considering the Focus Electric? - Page 4 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

View Poll Results: Who's considering the Focus Electric?
Yes 12 12.37%
Maybe 10 10.31%
No 64 65.98%
Need More Information 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #31
limeyrider
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 35376
What I Drive: 2004 SVT, infrared, '72 Bonny 650

Points 459, Level 9
Points: 459, Level: 9 Points: 459, Level: 9 Points: 459, Level: 9
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 limeyrider Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Not enough range for me. I drove a Focus turbo diesel in Germany Now, in 2011 EU emissions for diesels are MORE restrictive than in USA, so the "We can't pass emissions" is B.S. excuse from, primarily the US gov't [read up on the how the emissions are calculated differently for gas vs. diesel] and Ford (and the others as well.) I would MUCH rather have a Focus TD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #32
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87642
What I Drive: 2004 Audi A4 Quattro

FF Reputation: 1 voip-ninja Good Standing Member
Certainly range is the #1 concern. However it looks very attractive as a second car if someone has an ICE vehicle they can take on longer drives.

Diesel lost a lot of attraction for me when diesel fuel prices rose to over 10% more than standard unleaded fuel. Might as well take whatever mileage the diesel gets and multiply it by .90.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2011, 04:23 AM   #33
Speedfreak31
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 89566
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Speedfreak31 Good Standing Member
Not enough range. I would go with a Prius in this case.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM   #34
iniquitous
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89343
What I Drive: 2008 Blue Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 iniquitous Good Standing Member
I think I'm kind of along the same lines as a lot of people on these forums where I won't even think about buying this until I can afford one for the same amount as a petrol powered Focus. It would take me too long to even break even considering the fact that my round trip to work is about 30miles and with me now averaging 29-30mpg that's just a gallon a day, I go two weeks on a tank of gas...
Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #35
VOLDAR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90444
What I Drive: Volt 2014, White Diamond

FF Reputation: 3 VOLDAR Good Standing Member
I'd look into one, but does anyone knows how it performs in bellow freezing temperatures ? Because, even though we haven't a lot of snow, the temp is well bellow 0 C in my area. And seing its range drop from 100 miles to 60 miles is not something I'd enjoy.

P.S. We have the EV now, can we have a solar system of sort on the top of the car to charge it "on the road" ?
---replaced by---
Chevy Volt 2014, White Diamond, Luxury Package, S1, Navigation.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #36
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLDAR View Post
I'd look into one, but does anyone knows how it performs in bellow freezing temperatures ? Because, even though we haven't a lot of snow, the temp is well bellow 0 C in my area. And seing its range drop from 100 miles to 60 miles is not something I'd enjoy.

P.S. We have the EV now, can we have a solar system of sort on the top of the car to charge it "on the road" ?
Ford's thermal management is supposed to improve the performance in high or low temperature extremes but I don't think anyone will really know until we start to get reviews of these things in the coming months from drivers in NY and NJ which are two of the early launch markets.

For me, I plan on keeping my 8 year old Audi around if I do buy an electric, so that I can drive it on the handful of days a year in which temperatures and bad weather would be a detriment to having an electric out and about. It generally does not get as cold here in Colorado as it does in The Great White North.

Solar panel on the top of the car could not possibly produce more than a hundred or so watts, just based on surface area alone. It would not even have enough current level to trickle charge the battery (at 100 watts it would take something like 72 hours to charge the battery to 50%).

However, solar panels on the roofs are particularly good for doing things like running the climate fan, so that when it's hot outside the car interior stays a little cooler, and then you would use less battery to get the car temperature under control on a hot day.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:21 AM   #37
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

Points 2,396, Level 29
Points: 2,396, Level: 29 Points: 2,396, Level: 29 Points: 2,396, Level: 29
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
There is no way in hell I would ever own one. Not until electric cars can go fast and sound fast. I will stick with my gas burner, although I am interested in seeing the first person to customize one of these things.
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #38
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SVT View Post
There is no way in hell I would ever own one. Not until electric cars can go fast and sound fast. I will stick with my gas burner, although I am interested in seeing the first person to customize one of these things.
Sure, it's not for everyone. You realize that when Henry Ford asked people what kind of car he should build they described a better horse, right?

The horse was superior to the automobile for the first 15 years that autos existed. If your car broke down you were screwed because mechanics and parts were impossible to find (on the other hand, if your horse got sick there were readily available replacements, plenty of vets, etc). You could not get petrol at a lot of places (but the horse could get by for days with some feed and some grazing). The horse was faster too and you didn't have to pay a lot of attention to operate it (you can actually sleep in the saddle and the horse will let you get away with it).

Gas autos will have it all over electrics for another 15-20 yrs, and at that point, they will be on their way to being relegated to the dustbin of history... although total extinction is probably a good 35-50 yrs away.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #39
2010SVT
Focus Addict

Fan#: 93835
What I Drive: 2010 Focus Se 1998 Ford F150

Points 2,396, Level 29
Points: 2,396, Level: 29 Points: 2,396, Level: 29 Points: 2,396, Level: 29
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 2010SVT Good Standing Member
Sorry to say but the internal combustion engine is going nowhere. its here to stay I'm glad to say
sedan revolution #215 2010 SE Sedan, SES conversion front and rear, Ksport coilovers, Fswerks CAI, 93 tune, Race header and flex pipe, stealth exhaust, upper front stress bar and engine cover.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM   #40
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SVT View Post
Sorry to say but the internal combustion engine is going nowhere. its here to stay I'm glad to say
I'm glad you've got it all figured out. Even Ford, who is very soft on electrification technology has said that they expect 15-25% of the fleet to be some sort of electric hybrid or full electric by 2030. It's not a big step there to full electrification or, perhaps something just as good, such as hydrogen fuel cell technology.

I have not argued that the ICE is dead. Simply that it is going to start going into decline in the next decade or two (pure ICE at least) and will very likely be a rarity in another 40-50 years. Will the ICE ever be 100% dead? Probably not. Even 100 years from now when they laugh at the hard headedness and foolishness of people who resist change for no other reason than that it's change, ICE vehicles will likely still be available as oddities and of course collectors will still have them. Might be a little harder to top them up at the corner station that will likely be serving up battery swaps, hydrogen cell cartridges, etc.

You don't have to believe it, but that's what all the data is pointing to. When peak oil happens and gas is routinely $8-$10 a gallon (regardless of how much we drill to try to increase production) the people who HAVE made the jump to hybrids and pure electrics will be getting a good laugh on the people who insist on driving gas burners that average 20-25 mpg at best.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.