Dead low voltage battery - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Zwolf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114663
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2013 Electric

FF Reputation: 1 Zwolf Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dead low voltage battery

Had a call from my girlfriend the other night who uses the Focus Electric car, she said the remote would not work. So I sent a remote command to unlock the door. But hat failed. Looked for location of the car and it was showing it was off in the sea of Africa. Checked log and found I had a low voltage battery alert. So told her where the key was in the remote to unlock the door. Told her to get the flashlight out of the trunk, but that was pointless, it is an electric lock, so she was in the dark in an empty parking lot.

Once she was in it, there was no lights inside at all, so I headed out to the car (located in Cypress TX.). When I got there I found the car was dead as she told me. While checking the lights and anything else I could see that would drain the battery I found that she left the car in DRIVE when she turned off the car.

I would not have figured that leaving the car in Drive would have killed the battery, but it seems that was the cause. (She is use to a manual car and failed to put the car in park).

I got the jumper cables out and jump started the car, ran it around the parking lot and all seemed okay.

Next day, after it was started, it died and she came to a stop and turned every thing off, and restarted the car again. Since then, all was okay and she remembers to put it in to Park.

After looking in to the alert settings on MyFord I found the setting for low battery was not set to send me an alert if the battery was low. So that I Checked off to make sure I get the alerts next time.

The log shows that the car was parked for about 6 hours before the low battery alert was triggered.

Lesson learned:
1. Do not leave the car in Drive when you turn off the car.
2. Do not place emergency flashlight in trunk next to the 120vac charger because if you have a dead battery, you are not getting to it, Too much work.

Question for Ford, why did leaving the car in DRIVE drain the battery to a point where the car is dead and useless ? Normal car, you turn off the car and very thing shuts down.

Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile HD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
jstack6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118916
What I Drive: 2013,FOCUS EV

FF Reputation: 1 jstack6 Good Standing Member
seems no answers are coming from FORD. As an amateur I'd say the card doesn't really shut off if you leave it in park so the battery runs down slowly. Maybe we can do so testing with that idea and see what happens.
Old 09-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
jstack6
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118916
What I Drive: 2013,FOCUS EV

FF Reputation: 1 jstack6 Good Standing Member
testing it, mine would not shut down, it beeped and gave a display, Shift into Park.

So I guess if you ignore it by mistake or on purpose and you are not shut down and the starter battery will go dead after enough time. Maybe that is why LEAF had a little solar panel on the rear roof lid that trickle charged the start battery.

PS so why do all electric vehicles have a whimpy lead acid starter battery? of that's another subject.lol
Old 09-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #4
Zwolf
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114663
What I Drive: Ford Focus 2013 Electric

FF Reputation: 1 Zwolf Good Standing Member
Yeah, you would think the 12 volt battery would have been something better then a lead acid battery.

I kinda figured it would have been more like any other car, take the keys away, and in time will get shut down. By now I can say she knows to put it in Park and the old habits of her standard transmission car are just about forgotten. Funny, the other day she forgot how to start the old gas engine car, forgot you had to put your foot down on the clutch to get it start.

Zwolf.tx
Ford Focus Electric 2013
Sent from my iPad using FF Mobile HD

Bookmarks & Social Networks