SCT Flash Tuner: FSwerks - Page 3 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #21
jholso

Fan#: 59578
Location: Northern Fla. So North We Call it the NorthEast, FL
What I Drive: 08' S, I like Turtles

FF Reputation: 6 jholso Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Belive me not worth getting into in thread. It will turn into a shit show ans since both sides can not be on one forum to defend themselves, thats not something we should get into.

On FF it will Turn into a whole thing on how TurboTom is the best and FSWEKRS guys suck and blah blah blah,

Same if this were FJ you would get everyone saying FSWERKS/Randy is the best and TurboTom is terrible for one reason or another....

At this point in time asking that question on either forum since both tuners are not on both, you are not going to get a truly honest answer.

People in general on the internet are not man enough to admit the truth without bias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #22
jakebrewer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80618
What I Drive: 2003 liquid grey zx3

FF Reputation: 6 jakebrewer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
Taking your batt loose and resetting the ECU to learn parts that it has no idea you added or that it cares you added or that it can make changes for is worthless , PLEASE dont tell people this it will not help the ECU has no way to learn what intake , header , etc that you have added it just resets th ECU to get rid of learned habbets that unless the adaptive learning is turned off will just go right back to againg in 100miles +/-

While I agree that a tune is the best option for tuning for specific vehicles, resetting the computer is a valid option for people with very minimal mods.

First of all, it is free.

Secondly, like you said, it resets ecu from learned parameters based on repetitive measured situations. When those learned figures have been based off a stock car, it runs according to that. Resetting for simple mods, (while nearly useless) does allow the ecu to learn based on those slightly changed measure results due to aforementioned mods. Yes, it will take awhile to adapt to be "learned", it takes less than simply leaving the battery connected and having it readjust to new mods.

Clean sleight compared to countless repeating instances...

I'd expect a tuner who has been in the game for so long to at least acknowledge that. Granted, benefits are insignificant, but for free it is viable, while a dynotune is best option.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
03OrangeSVT
LETS TURN DIRT!!!!

Fan#: 19169
What I Drive: MINI Cooper S TURBO

FF Reputation: 152 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member 03OrangeSVT Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I dont care whos tuner he goes with...

BUT resetting the ECU will NOT compensate for most changes. You can do a CAI and an exhaust and after resetting the ECU it will still run VERY lean. The stock ECU can compenste very little... mainly for stuff like different octane, different altitude, ect.... things the car will experience during normal operation. You start throwing performance parts at it and it will only compensate so much and then it stops and the normally lean condition is there.
2004 Harley V-Rod.... sex on wheels
2011 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited
[/b]
Old 02-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #24
jakebrewer
Focus Enthusiast

Hence why I said "tune is best option", "dynotune is best option", "simple mods", "nearly useless" and "insignificant" but it is better than doing nothing.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:39 AM   #25
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I have to say you are wrong , Only thing learned is fueling , no timing is learned and most othere things in a tune are not learned , If an engine has no idea or cares what you changed it has no ability or knowledge to learn that anything has changed

Most of my customer see a change even bone stock , the emission laws are so strict now that they actually loose some power to meet the standards so YES a customer can benifit from a tune on most of the Foci out there

Taking the Batt loose does little to nothing for stock or modded cars with out turning off the adaptive learning it will just re learn your driving habbets and engine setting in about the first 80 miles and your right back where you were

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 02-23-2011, 04:23 PM   #26
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OrangeSVT View Post
I dont care whos tuner he goes with...

BUT resetting the ECU will NOT compensate for most changes. You can do a CAI and an exhaust and after resetting the ECU it will still run VERY lean. The stock ECU can compenste very little... mainly for stuff like different octane, different altitude, ect.... things the car will experience during normal operation. You start throwing performance parts at it and it will only compensate so much and then it stops and the normally lean condition is there.

Have you or anyone else thrown the stock ECU through it's paces as I have?

It adapted to the intake just fine. Added a header and full exhaust, still fine. Added underdrives, same deal. Colder thermo, same. Bigger MAFS, same. Removed A/C, EGR, P/S, same. Swapped to a ported/polished/shaved (0.055") SVT head, same. Added a COP ignition, same. Added 24# injectors, same. Run E-85, now it finally goes a bit lean but only because the injectors are maxed out (19#'s where maxed prior to the head swap).

All it takes it the operator to be smarter than the ECU to make power W/O a tune. Break things down into understandable mechanics and it's pretty simple. If you are using more air and running out of fuel use a larger injector. The adaptive will take care of the idle and part throttle overfueling (up to ~25% +/-) and you'll run richer WOT. Or you can play with MAF diameter and do the same thing. For instance I run ~1.5% richer using a SVT MAF vs my 70mm Pro-M; no other adjustments.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #27
jakebrewer
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I have to say you are wrong , Only thing learned is fueling , no timing is learned and most othere things in a tune are not learned , If an engine has no idea or cares what you changed it has no ability or knowledge to learn that anything has changed

Taking the Batt loose does little to nothing for stock or modded cars with out turning off the adaptive learning it will just re learn your driving habbets and engine setting in about the first 80 miles and your right back where you were

Tom
Well considering when a car is in closed loop is primarily driven by the O2 sensor, fuel is kinda a big thing...

Of course engine doesn't care or know what you changed. All I'm saying is that by resetting the ecu via battery disconnect it starts from scratch compared to data that is based off stock parts/measurements. So it will build a knowledge based on the collective new measurements from new parts.

Like I already said before, its insignificant, a tune is better, but for free, its at least something compared to nothing.

Saying flat out that it has no effect what so ever is just ignorant. Its a stock tune, yes its going to stick to the same tables, but because there are variances, results will vary, however insignificant and unnoticeable they may be.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->