All-New Ford Focus Electric: The Most Maintenance-Free Ford Ever - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
FFTeam
Administrator

Fan#: 41389
FF Reputation: 4 FFTeam Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
All-New Ford Focus Electric: The Most Maintenance-Free Ford Ever

When it comes to regularly scheduled maintenance, the Ford Focus Electric will be the easiest car to own that Ford Motor Company has ever built.

Because the Focus Electric does not have a conventional piston engine or an automatic or manual transmission, its drivers will wave goodbye to such things as oil changes and tuneups – a scenario most other motorists can only dream of.

“About all the driver will have to do is charge up the battery pack and go,” said Sherif Marakby, Ford’s director of electrification programs and engineering.

Focus Electric eliminates more than two dozen mechanical components that would normally require attention during the life of the vehicle. The dramatic reduction in moving mechanical parts is the key reason why consumers won’t have much to do to maintain the Focus Electric.

No matter how long they own the car or how many miles they drive over the years, Focus Electric drivers will never:

•Wait in line for oil changes
•Experience the inconvenience of a worn-out muffler, radiator hose or serpentine belt
•Have to change dirty air filters, fuel filters or transmission fluid
•Replace spark plugs, O2 sensors and radiator coolant
“When you have moving parts, such as the gears in a transmission or the pistons in an engine, you have maintenance,” Marakby said. “With an electric drive, there are very few moving parts. And in the Focus Electric, the only moving parts are the motor and the wheels."

More money in your pocket
Focus Electric’s minimal maintenance requirements saves drivers time and money. Oil changes demonstrate how.

For the gas-powered 2012 Focus, Ford recommends oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles. That’s a $29.95 job at a Ford Quick Lane service center. And it usually takes about 30 minutes. Over the 10-year, 150,000-mile life of the vehicle, those 15 oil changes cost $449.25 and 7.5 hours.

Because the Focus Electric won’t use those 75 quarts of oil and 15 filters, its impact on the environment is also lessened.

Over the life of the car, Focus Electric drivers also won’t need to spend time and money to:

•Replace five air filters at a cost of $24.95 each
•Have two cooling system flushes at a cost of $109 each
•Get one transmission service, $179
•Replace one drive belt for $130
•Buy and install one new set of spark plugs for $69.95
Regular maintenance for the Focus Electric will consist of little more than checking the air pressure in the tires and keeping the windshield wiper reservoir topped up. Longer term, the car’s brake pads and shocks may need replacing, along with tires.

Ford’s power of choice
Electrification is an important piece of Ford’s overall product sustainability strategy. Ford’s aggressive strategy includes the launch of five new electrified vehicles in North America by 2012 and Europe by 2013. In addition to Focus Electric, Ford launched the Transit Connect Electric small commercial van in 2010 and will introduce C-MAX Hybrid, a second next-generation lithium-ion battery hybrid and the C-MAX Energi plug-in hybrid in 2012. The range of electrified vehicles allows Ford to meet a variety of consumer driving needs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
deezx5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
When that bad boy does break down out of warranty I bet it will cost a small fortune.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:38 AM   #3
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTeam View Post
For the gas-powered 2012 Focus, Ford recommends oil and filter changes every 10,000 miles. That’s a $29.95 job at a Ford Quick Lane service center. And it usually takes about 30 minutes. Over the 10-year, 150,000-mile life of the vehicle, those 15 oil changes cost $449.25 and 7.5 hours.
•Replace five air filters at a cost of $24.95 each
•Have two cooling system flushes at a cost of $109 each
•Get one transmission service, $179
•Replace one drive belt for $130
•Buy and install one new set of spark plugs for $69.95
Well based on those mainetence figures, thats $1170.95 saved over the life of the car.

So since the 2012 Focus is set to 10,000 mile oil change intervals, is it safe to assume its on full sythentic oil?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The C-Max Energi is what I'm looking forward to. Time to ditch the 18 mpg Windstar, most of my wife's trips are under 50 miles, so that would really help us out if it will maintain all-electric mode for that distance.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
So since the 2012 Focus is set to 10,000 mile oil change intervals, is it safe to assume its on full sythentic oil?
Yes, that's typical for synthetic unless the car is overheated in that time period. 2 things kill oil: contaminants and heat. If you can keep the contaminants out of oil in a diesel it lasts much longer than gasoline engines because most diesels don't get over 160F or so. I'm not sure about the new Ford design, but 15k oil change intervals are not uncommon amongst diesels. Synthetic oils are more resistant to heat degradation. I change mine based on what the oil looks like because- like in the Windstar- my wife barely puts 10k miles per year on her vehicle. Following mileage intervals doesn't work for her vehicle IMO.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #6
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Elegant simplicity, for sure.

But, in "fairness in advertising"... you must also ADD the cost of the charging station to the cost of the electric vehicle. To have an electrical sub-panel and the charging station installed in your garage (especially if it's not an attached garage) could easily eat up the bulk of that $1170 dollars saved.

Some folks (but not most) already have a sub-panel with adequate amperage for the "quick charge" of an EV, and some folks possess the know-how to do it themselves, but the rest will have to pay for the service work.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #7
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile I don't think cost is really all the story here. They should barely of mentioned this. The biggest thing is having to worry about these maintance issues, which for people who don't so most of the stuff themselves is a really big deal. Isn't that one of the reasons people buy Hondas and Toyotas, even though it's just a naive assumption, this is still one of the reasons people buy them, because they require "less" maintanence.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:53 PM   #8
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
Just to keep the EV thread in motion... here's a little bit more FYI:
http://www.wired.com/autopia/2011/02...ric-z-concept/

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->