Engine Vibration - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
SuperJoe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61213
What I Drive: 2003 Dark Grey ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 SuperJoe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Engine Vibration

2003 Focus ZTS 2.0 DOHC Automatic

for about 6months now I have been trying to trouble shoot a really bad engine vibration. Here is what I have done so far:

plugs / wires
cleaned mass air sensor
cleaned throttle body
replaced vacume lines
replaced PCV valve
replaced alternator (it was bad)
replaced power steering pump (and hoses) the pulley was wobbling
replaced the harmonic balancer (just about fell to apart when i took it off

when the car is in cold loop (idling at 1000rpms) it vibrates but not really enough that i would have worried about it , but once it warms up and idles down to about 700rpms it will shake your teeth out. when you are sitting still and mash your foot on the brake, and have the parking brake set and put it in gear and rev it to about 1500rpms the vibration lessons and has a differant tone when it is under the load. than if you just rev the engine to 1500 in park or neutral. there is also a noticeable vibration hum while driving down the road too that you can feel in your feet and your rear.

I have not noticed any major engine movement under the hood except when doing the load test, it torx pretty good but only when youget it over 1000 rpms

I am really at a loss here and do not have a clue what to do. My dad (certified Deisel mechanic) is telling me that he thinks it is a cracked flex plate or loose torque converter. but i really dont want to have to drop the transmission, it is kind of a PITA in a front wheel drive car.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. if there is anyone in the Luling / Seguin / New Braunfels / San Antonio, TX area that might be able to look at it I would be happy to meet some where to have you take a look and feel the bad vibes (that is what my son calls them).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,598, Level 98
Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98 Points: 27,598, Level: 98
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you check your motor mounts? There are 3. One at the front of the motor, one at the top of the transmission, and one underneath in the center of the engine compartment. We have a bunch of threads on those. Most recommend a Ford replacement for the front engine mount, poly inserts for the lower mount, and standard mount for the transmission. If you don't care about vibration much, then you can get poly mounts for all 3 that will never go bad, but do tend to transmit more engine vibration.

Also if you are missing parts or the bracket is broken on the lower mount, then you can get the bracket and mount by purchasing the Ford part for that one.

We have a 5% discount at RockAuto.com which is a fairly good source for parts. Look in our Hot Deals and Shopping Fanatics forum in Off Topic Discussions for the RockAuto thread, the directions on how to use the discount, and the latest (check dates) discount code.

Their prices on motor mounts are great- however the Anchor mount replacement for the front engine mount have been known to fail within warranty. Most people get tired of changing them.

Mounts are located in the following sections on that site:

Engine: Motor Mount = front engine mount
Engine: Torque Strut Mount = lower engine mount
Transmission: Transmission Mount = transmission mount

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
1bille1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82596
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 1bille1 Good Standing Member
Ever replaced any of the engine/trans mounts? Common problem that's discussed alot
Old 02-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
SuperJoe
Focus Rookie

thank you for your posts, i do have an issue with vibrations (hense the reason for the post) i will try the motor mounts, ill check the sites you mentioned, I also have a shop discount at Napa and O'Reilys so i will see waht they ahve then for too.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
SuperJoe
Focus Rookie

wow those prices are insanely cheap even with my shop discount they are cheaper, i think i can wait a few days to say almost 50%
Old 02-08-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
genoobie
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83007
What I Drive: 2003 Maroon SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 genoobie Good Standing Member
Did 3 mounts not that long ago. Helped a bit, but not a dramatic improvement.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 PM   #7
rzimmerman30
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 81649
What I Drive: 2007 Red Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 rzimmerman30 Good Standing Member
I had the exact same problem. As soon as I started my car, I could feel the vibration but it wasn't terrible. Then as the engine warmed up, it would get to a point where I could barely stand to sit in the car. Then when I would give it gas, the vibration would almost completely go away, until after about 2 weeks like that then it started shaking on acceleration too. I just recently had it fixed. It was the passenger side hydraulic mount under the coolant tank. As soon as it was replaced, all the vibration completely dissapeared. The vibration was insane.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.