Heater not HOT, just Warm? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
herman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53783
What I Drive: 2007 Red SES

FF Reputation: 1 herman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Heater not HOT, just Warm?

2007 Duratec, 101,000 miles, ATX. The heater used to blow very hot air in about two miles after startup. Now it just produces luke warm temps. I checked the coolant level and it is at the lower mark on the resovoir when the engine is cool, so it is correct according to the manual.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Mike_Mac
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61110
What I Drive: 04 Red/Black ZX5, 00 infared ZTS

FF Reputation: 12 Mike_Mac Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
i'm lucky if mine blows warm before i get to school (10-15min drive) the colder it is outside then longer it is going to take to blow warm. i'm actually amazed they don't put a small electric heater that will work till it can switch to the heater core.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
hypnoticracing
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 51709
What I Drive: 2003 Focus Sedan Zetec 5 Spd

FF Reputation: 13 hypnoticracing Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (19)
i woulld do a coolant flush

Parting out the slammed sedan...
Old 02-07-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
Tremour-88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83129
What I Drive: 2000, Gold Focus Ghia

FF Reputation: 1 Tremour-88 Good Standing Member
Could need a coolant flush or the thermostat could need cleaning up
Old 02-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
deadend9009
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 69681
What I Drive: 2003 Grey Focus ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 deadend9009 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
thermostat either works or not, no need to clean it. Are you getting to running temperature? If the engine doesn't get warm enough then thats why you're not getting enough heat: it radiates all of the heat it produces. Try replacing the thermostat by one from the dealer, its about $15. I would not buy an aftermarket one, they tend to be less reliable and not designed on par with the Ford OEM one.

Try this and good luck.

PS You need to remove all the coolant before doing this. Would be a great time to flush the coolant and replace it. Remember to get the exact same thing that is in there.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 AM   #6
herman
Focus Enthusiast

Ok, I can do this, I have read many different ways to flush the coolant system, what do you recomend.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
herman
Focus Enthusiast

Yes, it is getting to its normal operating temperture, nothing else has happened, with no symptoms I am hesitant to change the thermostat but I may need a flush.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
Yes, it is getting to its normal operating temperture, nothing else has happened, with no symptoms I am hesitant to change the thermostat but I may need a flush.
First off, let's check that. The CHT is fairly accurate, but I don't know if the gauge that's in the dash is very accurate. You can use the electronic odometer to get a digital readout in C of the temperature. You'll have to cycle through about 20 of the 30 functions of the electronic odometer test mode until you come across one that reads like this: [-5 C]. The actual readout will depend on the temperature, if the engine is running, then that number should be climbing. It will climb to about 92 C, then drop down, and rise back up again. That's because of the thermostat opening at 90 C. This is normal operation, and you'll clearly be able to see the thermostat opening, cooling the engine, and then closing again. You won't be able to do this idling in the driveway while it's cold outside. I suggest doing it on the way to work.

Now, if you find that the thermostat is working correctly, but you still have no heat, then I would assume that the heater core is clogged. A complete home DIY coolant flush (I would personally not pay anyone for this) is not very easy to do while it's so cold. I'd simply flush the heater core. This will expel a good amount of coolant anyway. You'll have to remove both heater hoses from the engine, then put a garden hose in one and run it until the water runs clear out of the other hose. Now put the water hose in the other heater hose, and run it until it runs clear out of the other heater hose. This takes about 5 minutes- total. Reconnect, add the appropriate coolant to fill the radiator. Drive the vehicle around, and check the coolant level again. That should be it.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OH I forgot to add, even though your vehicle's gauge is going to the middle, I think you're going to find that your actual engine temp never gets out of the 80-90 C range when you do the elect. odo trick- if it even gets that high. If the temp never gets to 90C, then that's a sign of a thermostat that is stuck open.

I have seen a few clogged heater cores, but really it's much more rare than a stuck thermostat because this particular design flows coolant through the core continuously, and that makes it rare for the core to clog up.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
Obocecha
Focus Addict

Fan#: 28484
What I Drive: 2002 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 15 Obocecha Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
The heat in my car wasn't blowing as hot as usual just "kinda" warm. Figuring after 200K miles with the original thermostat I thought it might be time to replace it. Swapped in a new one and the car warms up much faster and the heater blows hot now. Quick and simple thing to try at least.

Bookmarks & Social Networks