How to put in your Diablo chip for all you out there buying used ones - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-24-2005, 11:16 PM   #1
FocusMang
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 11488
What I Drive: 2000 Black, Built, Turbo ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 FocusMang Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Exclamation How to put in your Diablo chip for all you out there buying used ones

Ok remove your glove box, Your PCM is on the right side (obviously you already know this because you knew your PCM code (JFA8 as a example). Unlatch the black holder on the right side of the pcm by pressing it in. Pull the PCM as far out as you can. NOW DISCONNECT YOUR NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND MAKE SURE ITS OUT! DONT RISK IT YOU NOOBS! Now you need to go back to the PCM and take off the plastic black tab on the top of the PCM, it just pulls off. On the little board youll see where the chip goes, you now need to scrape off the connection with something, anything, but not too hard and get the silicone off BOTH sides until all the metal contacts are seen and shiny (I used a little flathead screwdriver DONT RUSH, this must be done very well or youll have to go back and redo it!), now use a alcohol pad to clean it off really well, DO NOT USE WATER!

Now that your PCM connection is clean, and your battery is not in, and your keys ARE NOT in the ignition, put the diablo in make sure the cable supplied is in the diablo chip and the light is plugged into the switch, NOT the chip. use electric tape and strap in the top of the diablo, YOU MUST DO THIS AND IT MUST BE TIGHTLY IN THERE! Put everything back and keep your glove box open with the diablo cable visible. Put your battery back in, negative cable FIRST! Now go ahead and start your car. If the green light is on on the cable you have the right setting and leave it there unless you have 2 tunes or 3 on the chip. If its not on its because the switch is put in the middle and that is the OFF setting (with the 3 way switch). Heres a list of some things that may happen and what to do

if your read out goes to ---------- on the gauges then you need to take the battery out again take the chip out and clean the connections better, or you dont have the correct PCM code like you said.

If you drive over a bump and the car dies and you see ---------- on the gauges thats because you didnt put the chip in tight enough and strap it correctly, or you didnt clean the connections good enough.

Ok, now heres the bad part. *IF* you choose not to take out the battery you will FRY the PCM and you WILL have to get a new one I can promise you that, it will cost you 608 dollars (in U.S.) Once the chip is in DO NOT flip the switch unless the car is off and the keys are OUT of the ignition, you dont have to take out the battery. This is my write up on the chip not anyone elses I will post it in a few forums for the people that buy used diablo chips and dont know how to put them in. Please inform me if I have made any mistakes so that they may be corrected, but please do so in a mature manner. Hope this helps all you guys buying the used diablos out there!

New Mexicos First ZX3 to burn a SRT-4 on the night of 3/16/05
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2005, 11:16 PM   #2
danowe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1922
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 danowe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Awesome

Great write up. thanks, you have a PM, please reply.
Old 01-27-2005, 10:58 PM   #3
myFordPerformance.com
Focus Addict

Fan#: 454
What I Drive: A Car

FF Reputation: 6 myFordPerformance.com Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Or, you could just bookmark this myFordFocus.com How-To Article, http://www.myfordfocus.com/how-to/pcm.htm There's also links to scans of the Superchip instructions on there.

Nice right up nonetheless. Couple things I would add, hope you don't mind... for the newbies.

If you are shopping for a chip on eBay, be it a Diablosport chip(regular or Delta), or a Superchips chip(Blue #1100) keep in mind that even if the chip is not currently programmed for your Focus' computer code, you can have it re-flashed for your car. You just need to call a Diablosport or Superchip dealer and ask them how much to reflash the chip. Just as an FYI, I can do either Diablosport or Superchip, usually around $30(for a standard tune).

That said, be sure to know your computer code first, before you buy the chip off eBay or wherever, there are some codes that Diablosport or Superchip may not have standard tunes for.

On cleaning the contact on your car's computer, I really wouldn't recommend a screwdriver, one slip and say goodbye to your circuit board. Go to your favorite hardware store and get a sheet of scotch brite pad, most paint or hardware stores will have it in the same section where they will have sand paper. Don't use sand paper either. Also, after you have removed the coating and cleaned it with your alchohol cleaning pad, and let it dry. Take your finger nail and scrap in between the contact, that's usually where a dry flack of the coating will eventually come off and get in between the contacts of the circuit board and chip.

On the disconnecting and reconnecting of the battery, you were correct about just having to remove the negative terminal. But on the reconnecting, you said "Put your battery back in, negative cable FIRST!" That's actually probably not a good idea, assuming you've removed both the positive and negative. If the positive is already on the battery, never removed, then you are ok. But, if you've removed both the pos. and neg., you should put the pos. back on first. If you put the neg. on first and then accidently let the pos. cable make contact with anything metal, you're in for a pretty good shock. Remember, the first they teach you in Electronics school is current flows neg-to-pos The best advice, as you noted, is to only remove the negative terminal at the onset...

Good luck all !
Old 01-27-2005, 11:08 PM   #4
W~Phoenix~{RC}
FF Bouncer

Fan#: 11450
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Frost Sport Edition ATX

FF Reputation: 1 W~Phoenix~{RC} Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Very nice write-up indeed. Thanks

Cheers!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.