abs/traction control light stays on - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 AM   #1
shakermaker1982
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81507
What I Drive: 2000 silver 1.8 ghia

FF Reputation: 1 shakermaker1982 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
abs/traction control light stays on

hi all, i bought a 2000 (x reg) focus cheap i have recently done the following work to it as i'm a 2nd year apprentice mechanic

1.clutch kit
2.thermostat housing
3 heater resistor
4 both front bottom arms
5 front discs and pads

having checked the car over i thought that these jobs would make it mechanically sound but since doing the clutch the abs and traction control light is on most of the time. i ran the intrument cluster in test mode and the following codes came up....bulb,r22,e001, dtc-none. i have also cleaned up the abs sensors so i don't think its that. does anybody know what the codes are or have had the same problems please help. thankyou

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2011, 05:23 AM   #2
nilskje
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11478
What I Drive: Focus -04 5door 1,6 Ghia

Points 449, Level 8
Points: 449, Level: 8 Points: 449, Level: 8 Points: 449, Level: 8
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 nilskje Great Standing Member
Is the E brake light coming on as well?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
greddy339
Focus Addict

Fan#: 63304
What I Drive: 2k ford focus zx3

FF Reputation: 9 greddy339 Good Standing Member
the speed sensors down by the wheels can go bad and cause abs light to go off...
Old 02-06-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,131, Level 97
Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97 Points: 27,131, Level: 97
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
OK, what's the fluid level like? Is the brake fluid level sensor plugged in? Even if it is, it might be bad (evil coincidence), unplug it, bypass it by bridging the two wires on the plug with a paperclip or solid wire. See if that clears up the lights. It might be that when you bled the slave cylinder, the fluid level dropped low setting off those lights. You might need to disconnect the negative battery terminal to do a hard reset.

Oh those readings you came across on the odometer test function are normal. Where it said bulb, that's the test for all the lights in the instrument cluster- everything should be lit up. R22 and e001 are something I have no idea, but there are about 30 different functions of that test mode, and most make no sense at all. The one that said DTC none, is a test for diagnostic trouble codes, but not all codes show up in this mode so it's best to use a code scanner. There are some really handy functions to the odometer test mode- like battery/alternator voltage, temp sensor readout, and digital tachometer for more specific readout than a gauge needle.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
shakermaker1982
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81507
What I Drive: 2000 silver 1.8 ghia

FF Reputation: 1 shakermaker1982 Good Standing Member
hiya gents, got an update for you.... i've tested all the abs sensors and they were fine and i tried it on the diognostic machine but it was playing up so i couldn't do a reading of the fault codes but i'll be able to test it again on monday 28th as i work for bmw i can't use ours at work!

nilskjd- yes the e brake light is on??

whynotthinkwhynot- i shorted out the the senor on the brake fluid resivoir and the lights didn't go out??

apart from running it through a test again i dont really know what else to do?? my mate has told me that when i took the driveshafts out to do the clutch i might of done something to the clips in the hub that hold the abs sensor in the hub??? could this be possible. anyway thanks for all the help so far .
Old 02-26-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
nilskje
Focus Addict

Fan#: 11478
What I Drive: Focus -04 5door 1,6 Ghia

Points 449, Level 8
Points: 449, Level: 8 Points: 449, Level: 8 Points: 449, Level: 8
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 17 nilskje Great Standing Member
Sounds like the ABS unit might lack +12, chk under the airfilterbox for a red wire paritially chewed off, by the edge of the airfilterbox itself, if this is the case you will also have problems running diag on the ABS unit with some diagnosic gear...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM   #7
alanbell00
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 84661
What I Drive: 2003 green ZTW

FF Reputation: 1 alanbell00 Good Standing Member
Hey Guys - newbie post - 03 Focus ZTW - traction control light and ABS light were on after rear brake job. Redid job completly, checked all connections but still both lights.
Tested brakes and drove to parts store for manual info - didn't address it. Had code check done (although no Check Engine Light was on) and the code reader did see both left and right rear sensor malfunctions had occured. Light stayed on during test; cranked up afterwards and lights went out.

I believe the code check allowed the reset to occur. I'm LUCKY ????

Forum is great !

Alan in Metro Atlanta....
Old 09-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #8
lwillo1977uk
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 83586
What I Drive: 2001, silver, gl

FF Reputation: 1 lwillo1977uk Good Standing Member
Folks another newbie post - Sorry, I would have opened a new post but couldn't for the life of me work out how to post a new thread.

I'm desperately after some help, I need my car for work and I don't really have the means to pay for some expense work to be done on the machine. I'm really hoping the issue is something simple.

So here is the issue..... driving down the road today and when just dabbing the brake (literally dabbing the brake), what seemed like the ABS was kicking back up the pedal, though I was not under heavy breaking and obviously not enough to skid. Now the ABS light is showing in Yellow and what looks like the SKID light, maybe traction light is also on... I have focus 1.4 2001 Y reg so I don't believe I have traction control because I can pull of the odd wheel spin, in the wet only :-).

So moreover, after another mile or so, it seemed the abs was trying to kick in even when not touching the brake, I could feel it through the pedals, and hear it.

Strange thing is, this only happens when the ABS light is of, after another mile, the light comes back on and the ABS issue stops, probably because it's disabled when light indicates the issue.

So, lights go off again, then issue comes back.

Just to let you know I fitted a new down pipe to the cat last week, running better, don't think I knocked anything on the way, not sure if anything to know apart from wires to ABS console, though I would presume that would disable the ABS, meaning the E-brake would come on also.... The E-brake light is NOT on. (I think this due to severed wire a while back, no power to the console and e-brake on also at that time).

Is it worth getting down the local garage and throwing one of the machines on it to see if it can pull up the error? I guess so, or do you think it's something more costly than a simple sensor?

I'm no expert for sure, just learning as I go along..... I would appreciate very much any support you guys can give me.

Cheers, Willo

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.