Leaking Lime Green / Yellow Fluid - Not Antifreeze - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
streetxracerx102
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75560
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX3, 5-speed

FF Reputation: 1 streetxracerx102 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Leaking Lime Green / Yellow Fluid - Not Antifreeze

Seeing as I live in Northern Ohio, we just got dumped with snow. So when I went out and moved my car the other day, I noticed quite a large puddle of lime green / yellow fluid where it was sitting.

Everyone says that color fluid is antifreeze, so obviously that was the first thing I checked. Mine is a red color, and the fluid levels were fine. The brake fluid / tranny fluid is a dark blue, almost black.

Last winter, I noticed this as well, but only once. I have not really noticed any issues, and everything seems to be running fine. And my car is definately NOT overheating. Any ideas? I just want to know what's leaking, and how it could effect me.

Thanks

And yes, I saw this thread (http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...eak+found+snow), but it's still unanswered. Any my coolant, sure as hell, is NOT lime green. It is indeed a red / orange color.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Dog pee?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #3
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
A/C oil
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Damn, I didn't think of that, but yes AC system oil does have that color. There's no much of it though, so I guess it depends on what you consider to be "large" as far as the puddle goes.

That sucks for you that someone put Dexcool in the vehicle. You have to add that from now on, or flush the system clean of it before adding gold coolant. Ford uses gold because green and yellow are ok together, but not red. I'd file that under "stupid proofing."

Quote:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #5
streetxracerx102
Focus Enthusiast

What's the matter with Dexcool? When I tested it, it said it was good down to ~ -30F. I guess it depends on the color "gold" that you're refering to, cause I would consider it a red / orange color. Maybe closer to light orange.

If you mean red, as in blood red, fire engine red, or bright red, it is not any of those.

And I WISH it were dog piss. Haha. So what would that mean if it's A/C oil? What kind of repairs am I looking at?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #6
1bille1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 82596
What I Drive: 2000 black zts

FF Reputation: 1 1bille1 Good Standing Member
Maybe when your coolant leaks onto snow it does look yellowish green. CAn't imagine there'ld be more than a few ounces of AC frigerant lube( can't make a "large" puddle out of that.

And if the lube has leaked, then the frigerant has leaked , too, and your AC shouldn't work at all.

Does it?
Old 02-04-2011, 09:27 AM   #7
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetxracerx102 View Post
What's the matter with Dexcool? When I tested it, it said it was good down to ~ -30F. I guess it depends on the color "gold" that you're refering to, cause I would consider it a red / orange color. Maybe closer to light orange.

If you mean red, as in blood red, fire engine red, or bright red, it is not any of those.

And I WISH it were dog piss. Haha. So what would that mean if it's A/C oil? What kind of repairs am I looking at?
It would mean a leak in the AC system. Where that leak is depends on what's leaking. Damn that was stupid to write. Anyway, most of the AC lines are in the passenger fender. If it's leaking up close to the front of the car- that might indicate a condenser leak- maybe a rock or something damaged it. That would be the biggest suck of all as those are about $200ish. The condenser is what is in front of the radiator- and looks like a radiator. Damage to it should be fairly obvious if you can find it- and you'd see your oily stuff there. Other leaks could be O-rings or hose damage. If the leak seems to be coming from the back of the compressor, then that's likely the O-rings at the hose connection.

If that's what you find it to be- read the General AC Repair thread at the top of this page. That will familiarize you with AC systems in general and pics should help you locate all the parts. I would not suggest attempting this repair until it's warmer. For the DIYer, you run a big risk of overcharging the system which is worse than under charging- and has a similar effect: not good cooling.

Quote:
Old 02-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
streetxracerx102
Focus Enthusiast

Well that's good to know. It's leaking almost right in front of the passenger seat, closer to that than the front at least. A damaged line shouldn't be too bad. I'm thinking (since it did this last year when it snowed bad) that maybe the snow is rubbing something? And bumping it or rattling it just enough to cause a leak. Cause I hadn't noticed it from when it happened last year, up until a few days ago when it snowed real bad again.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 AM   #9
LocustheFocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 81962
What I Drive: 2003 SE Zetec

FF Reputation: 1 LocustheFocus Good Standing Member
there's dye...a UV fluid you can use in the ac oil to see it thats were the leak is if you have a black light
Old 02-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
deezx5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72153
What I Drive: 2011 Gray Hyundai Elantra GLS

FF Reputation: 3 deezx5 Good Standing Member
It could also possibly be power steering fluid, some variations are green

Bookmarks & Social Networks