Rust Around Gas filler "Neck" - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-14-2004, 11:48 AM   #1
Kalos
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1733
What I Drive: '04 SVT, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Kalos Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Unhappy Rust Around Gas filler "Neck"

I bought my '02 SVT new about nine months ago. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for most of a year. There was already some rust around the gas tank filler "neck" - under the gas cap where it is held in place by a rubber dam - but lately the rust - both red and "white" - has become significantly worse.

It this rust common ? Is it dangerous ? If the rust gets bad enough, can gasoline seep past the rubber "dam" ? Should the dealer fix it ? What's recommended for getting rid of the rust ?

Last edited by Kalos; 09-14-2004 at 11:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2004, 11:51 AM   #2
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
The dealer WILL fix this under WARRANTY and if they don't do it under warranty, I would MAKE them do it since you just bought the car recently.

You don't want rust mixing into the gas, you could be asking for MAJOR problems here. I would be phoning the dealership NOW.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:31 AM   #3
Kalos
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1733
What I Drive: '04 SVT, Silver

FF Reputation: 1 Kalos Good Standing Member
Re: Rust Around Gas filler "Neck"

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalos
I bought my '02 SVT new about nine months ago. It had been sitting on the dealer's lot for most of a year. There was already some rust around the gas tank filler "neck" - under the gas cap where it is held in place by a rubber dam - but lately the rust - both red and "white" - has become significantly worse. It this rust common ? Is it dangerous ?...Should the dealer fix it ?
Dealer yesterday acknowledged rust is excessive. Seemed to be familiar with the problem because he stated Ford warraty policy was to replace ring once but only once.
Old 09-17-2004, 08:46 AM   #4
S2
Retired Fanatic

Fan#: 4939
What I Drive: Camaro 2SS/RS

FF Reputation: 67 S2 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (20)
So they are replacing it for you? Once and only once is BS. If it rusts again, it's their faulty part and design. Man FORD warranty pisses me off, actually it's the dealership service managers. They are morons trying to get away with everything. I would ASK to see the actual FORD warranty policy about this.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:08 AM   #5
NR
Focus Addict

Fan#: 8782
What I Drive: 2002 twilight blue zx3 5 spd

FF Reputation: 1 NR Good Standing Member
i just noticed i got the same problem, guess i'll be paying a visit to my local dealership, next week!!!1
custom magnaflow cat-back(3 inch pipe), steeda lowering springs, mac shorty intake, focus firepower ignition and livewires, autolite platinum sparkplugs, reverse indiglo gauges, painted stock rims wrapped on sumitomos HTRZII, shorty antenna, mintex pads, aeroquip brake hoses, ebc rotors, no resonator, debadged, limo tinted, halo headlights, steeda short shifter, 4-2-1 race header, W-TYP sideskirts, S2 side mouldings, mazda tribute door handles
Old 09-17-2004, 11:34 PM   #6
Sonicbluezx3
.....NObama.....

Fan#: 8674
What I Drive: 05 Sonic Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 18 Sonicbluezx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
yeah my car only has 9300 miles on it and i have noticed a little white around there, if it gets any worse ill be going to the dealer ship
Old 09-18-2004, 11:05 AM   #7
FocuzdZX5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7906
What I Drive: '01 CD Silver ZX3(mine) '04 Light Tundra ZX5(wifes)

FF Reputation: 1 FocuzdZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It seems to be normal. If it rusts again try and get it replaced again, if they won't do it call Ford HQ. I wouldn't worry too much about the rust mixing with the fuel. It is just surface rust, a quick fix would be to take it out and spray it with rustolium or with some spray undercoating that would rubberize it.

Had - AEM cai, Eibach Dampers/Sportline springs, FC Knobs, 98 Edition Euro Bumper, FC TB, FS strut bar, FC wire cover, FR plug wires, Eibach Sways(frt/rr), FC header, bosal flex, Borla 2.5 cat back.

Long tyme no post!
origanal FF #: 2221

e-mail frostyj@cox.net
Old 09-18-2004, 10:03 PM   #8
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
actually it's the dealership service managers. They are morons trying to get away with everything. I would ASK to see the actual FORD warranty policy about this.

why are you blaming the service manager? the dealer gets paid the cost by ford to fix warantee work. It is no sweat off the dealers ass to do warantee work.
ST crew #18
Old 09-18-2004, 11:41 PM   #9
DidHeFocus?
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1704
What I Drive: 2003.5 ZTW PZEV

FF Reputation: 1 DidHeFocus? Good Standing Member
The service managers ARE to blame because Ford doesn't pay as much as they can get for charging the customer. They also have to do more paperwork for the warranty claim.

BTW, the warranty covers rust-through, not just surface rust. If they fix it for free, they're doing you a favor, or there is a service bulletin or recall on the problem.

Last edited by DidHeFocus?; 09-18-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:47 PM   #10
CKA
*~*

Fan#: 2313
What I Drive: '02 ZTS/'99 Explorer/'13 Fusion

FF Reputation: 74 CKA Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (24)
Never seen that before, but I will check mine tommorrow, now I am worried.

Bookmarks & Social Networks