602whp 488ftlbs 35psi. GTX3076r. - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Forced Induction

General Forced Induction The place to chat about turbochargers, superchargers nitrous systems and custom engine fabrications.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 09:06 PM   #41
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate
 
1turbofocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1123
Location: Belmont, NC
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Posts: 22,194
Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Speed View Post
It was about the same as last night. 34-35psi. Just got the clutch to hold good. He had leaked fluid on it last night.
Nice , dont take much on the clutch to slip , now go for more

Tom
__________________
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
1turbofocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-27-2011, 09:10 PM   #42
Top Speed
Focus Enthusiast
 
Top Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Fan#: 77307
Location: Simpson, NC
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 07 ZX3, 04 Sedan, 02 ZX3

Posts: 455
Points 7,722, Level 58
Points: 7,722, Level: 58 Points: 7,722, Level: 58 Points: 7,722, Level: 58
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Top Speed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatn2o View Post
~I could see any rubber seal that e85 comes in contact with eating away, which would in include gas lines, seals in the tank, seals in the pump, valve seals. If one of those fuel lines bust open over the down pipe...Fire.

~worst mpg's (20-30%)
Who builds a 600+whp car and is worried about mpgs?

Everything used in the fuel system was rated for alcohol. And seriously you have the likelyhood of a fire with any fuel system, I really do not understand why you would be more scared of this than anything else.

It is a 600+whp car, if you say he will use 30% more fuel. I think he paid $2.50 gallon for what he had. So $2.50*1.30=$3.25 which is < or = to 93 octane in cost around here.

If it is available to you, I don't understand why you wouldn't use it.

When Andy first started talking with us, this build was going to be pretty simple. It then grew and grew, and then he wanted to try E85. I said, heck why not, lets do it. In the end, it made extremely good power, we got to test a new turbo, and the E85 did what we needed it to do. Andy is no where near finished, we can all plan on seeing much more out of this car in the future.
Top Speed is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #43
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate
 
1turbofocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1123
Location: Belmont, NC
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Posts: 22,194
Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by egbertnr View Post
When you say that does it have to be a focus or is that open to any cars..bc I have a few in mind, one of which is in my garage.

But seriously not bad, curious what its like driving something like that, and how when full boost hits.
You are 100% correct egbertnr it will and does cause issues with rubber BUT a lot of the later car and car parts Injector o-rings , hoses are much more restant to the e85 , older cars have more of an issue

Tom
__________________
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
1turbofocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:15 PM   #44
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate
 
1turbofocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1123
Location: Belmont, NC
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Posts: 22,194
Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Speed View Post
If it is available to you, I don't understand why you wouldn't use it.
The main reason not to use it is its unregulated on octane, what if this fuel is 104 and then 6 months from now he gets e85 and its 98 BOOM !!!!!

Tom
__________________
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
1turbofocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 PM   #45
Blackcatn2o
soon to be turbo!
 
Blackcatn2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Fan#: 48278
Location: Brandon, FL
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

Posts: 5,728
FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Then Ask your self why they didn't place flex fuel in performance cars to boost the performance.
Blackcatn2o is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #46
Top Speed
Focus Enthusiast
 
Top Speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Fan#: 77307
Location: Simpson, NC
What I Drive: 02 SVT, 07 ZX3, 04 Sedan, 02 ZX3

Posts: 455
Points 7,722, Level 58
Points: 7,722, Level: 58 Points: 7,722, Level: 58 Points: 7,722, Level: 58
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 Top Speed Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
The main reason not to use it is its unregulated on octane, what if this fuel is 104 and then 6 months from now he gets e85 and its 98 BOOM !!!!!

Tom
I agree that the octane can be different, that is why I wrote my timing maps as if it was E70 not E85 because there is no way to know what he will be getting on a consistent basis. but quite frankly, i don't believe andy is worried about it. He wanted to be different and wanted to use E85, he knows the risks and will continue to run it.
Top Speed is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #47
02CDSVTF
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Fan#: 73863
Location: West Bend, WI
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT

Posts: 66
FF Reputation: 1 02CDSVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
You sir have no idea what your talking about and I can tell you have done NO testing with E85 yet you want to come here beating on your chest like you know

Reading for thought
"The first thing we need to know is that E85, the most common of the ethanol fuel blends, is actually three fuel grades. Class 1 or "pure" E85 contains 80 to 84 percent ethanol, while the remainder of the blend is commercial-grade (around 85 pump octane) gasoline. Class 2 or E75 is 75 to 79 percent ethanol, while Class 3 or E70 is 70 to 74 percent ethanol. However, all three classes of fuel may be marketed as E85 at various times during the year. While it seems confusing, this is done mainly to offer better cold-starting performance-which is a problem with ethanol fuels. Since straight ethanol has a relatively low Reid vapor pressure (meaning it doesn't like to light off at low temperatures), greater percentages of gasoline are added to the blend for colder weather. So while E85 is often described as 105 pump octane, its actual rating can vary depending upon the seasonal blend. Naturally, higher gasoline content will tend to lower the pump octane from 105 for "pure" E85 to perhaps 100 for E75-though these figures are approximations, it is important to note. Since ethanol is relatively new on the consumer scene, it is just not as thoroughly documented or standardized as gasoline. This is why, in part, you may see E85 described as anywhere from 100 to 106 octane."

There is no octane police for e85 like for std fuels they all post 105 octane on the pumps and thats legal and the only fuel sold in the US that can say 105 on the pump but test 94-104 octane and the gas station not be in any trouble

I have seen e85 tested as low as 93 octane ,The research octane of ethanol is impressively high, which is a beautiful thing for high-compression and high-boost applications. However, its motor octane (the more extreme standard) is relatively low when compared to racing gasolines of similar (R+M)/2 octane. What this means is that E85 is highly resistant to knock but somewhat sensitive to preignition, comparatively speaking. (Knock and preignition are two different conditions: Knock is spontaneous combustion in the end gases before the flame-front can arrive, while preignition takes place before the timed ignition spark occurs, typically due to localized incandescence or hot spots in the combustion chamber.) to hot a spk plug (heat range) which the sp463 are thats why I made my own cold spk plugs for my high HP racing


Take the FACT that e85 is not regulated for octane and the FACT that it has a lower motor octane (either one will cause engine failure) these two togather could cause some serious issues

Tom

im not gonna read all that. because it all gets tossed out the window when u test it using a graduated cylinder and water BEFORE you put it in your car.

;)

http://www.brackettech.com/showthread.php?t=1059
02CDSVTF is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:47 PM   #48
02CDSVTF
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Fan#: 73863
Location: West Bend, WI
What I Drive: 02 Silver SVT

Posts: 66
FF Reputation: 1 02CDSVTF Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcatn2o View Post
Then Ask your self why they didn't place flex fuel in performance cars to boost the performance.
thats a weird question to ask. but. ill tell you why.

because the EPA and DOT wasnt sure about it. and auto makers werent sure either.

but if you wanna run pump gas/race gas go head.

this is my car ill do what i want. what more do we need to prove?

sitting here listening to a bunch of people on some forums say things that arnt true spreads myths. last i check people said stock motor limit was 220whp etc.

well. didnt jared run 300whp for a few monthes b4 even going higher?
02CDSVTF is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #49
Hoodpin1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Hoodpin1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Fan#: 64979
Location: The 262, WI
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX3

Posts: 64
FF Reputation: 2 Hoodpin1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
The main reason not to use it is its unregulated on octane, what if this fuel is 104 and then 6 months from now he gets e85 and its 98 BOOM !!!!!

Tom
Did you not read what i posted? What you posted backed what i was saying. Andys car was tuned for what your info calls "class 3" or the lowest possible "grade" of e85. Therefore, in summer when your "class 1" is in the pumps, his tune will be even more safe. E98 is the highest ethanol content you can get, it may not be at the pumps but it is avalible if you look for it.

Also, finding the exact ethanol percentage, you do this, http://www.brackettech.com/showthread.php?t=1059

Ooops, Andy beat me too it.
Hoodpin1 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 10:09 PM   #50
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate
 
1turbofocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Fan#: 1123
Location: Belmont, NC
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Posts: 22,194
Points 51,296, Level 100
Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100 Points: 51,296, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 29%
Activity: 29% Activity: 29% Activity: 29%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodpin1 View Post
Did you not read what i posted? What you posted backed what i was saying. Andys car was tuned for what your info calls "class 3" or the lowest possible "grade" of e85. Therefore, in summer when your "class 1" is in the pumps, his tune will be even more safe. E98 is the highest ethanol content you can get, it may not be at the pumps but it is avalible if you look for it.

Also, finding the exact ethanol percentage, you do this, http://www.brackettech.com/showthread.php?t=1059

Ooops, Andy beat me too it.
You still dont understand , that tests the ETHANOL CONTANT not the final octane # the fuel used to mix all this could be anything from 85 to 91 depending on whats left laying around and that could have a HUGH impact on the final octane

I could give a crap if he uses 85 octane thats up to him just like using e85 , more power to him but others reading this need to know the facts and the FACTS are this is an unstable and octane unpredictable unregulated fuel

Tom
__________________
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
1turbofocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat