How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures) - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-23-2011, 12:36 AM   #21
ChrissyL
Trying to Focus

Fan#: 64813
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue ST3

FF Reputation: 13 ChrissyL Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 View Post
i went ahead and rebuilt iy but removed the grills, i might have to test them again and see if the sound changes any with the grills removed
First, let me compliment everyone on their contributions to an interesting audio thread, especially the OP for actually using test procedures instead of relying solely on subjective impressions. I also used to "do this stuff" pretty hardcore back in the '70s, studying with the techs at Seattle's Speakerlab and building some pretty high-end home systems, including custom speaker cabinets, custom cross-overs, Phase Linear amps, blah, blah.

So here's my small contribution, relating to the quote. Well-designed speaker grilles may improve dispersion of upper-midrange and treble frequencies. You should be able to hear a difference between the grill on and off. With a good grill, the higher frequency sound will be more consistent as you move your head around or change seating positions in the car or other listening environment. This helps in the localization or sound-staging of instruments.
NW Posse #17
"Straight roads are for fast cars. Curvy roads are for fast drivers."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2011, 11:38 AM   #22
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
To me im not as concerned with bass or treble i want a good midrange sounding speaker.
You can try overstuffing the enclosure. In this case, use batting (or fiber fill. whatever you want to call it) made for quilting. It comes in a 'blanket'. Using the Ford component setup as an example (assume that factory batting is not there for clarity), trim the batting in layers (you don't want a huge buildup at the edges) and layer it in. Then start making layers with a hole for the magnet to clear. This is not a 'loose' fiber fill so less worry about hitting the cone or spider. What should result is a little less 'thump' on the low end, but the mids should be smoother by comparison. Or, as some would describe it, muffled! It should not affect the highs at all, even if the driver has a whizzer cone. Eh! it should be cheap enough to try if you want. Note: How much fill you put in is completely subjective. Only your ear can decide whether it is good or bad. Also, I read (at one time) 'some' folks advocating after doing this, drilling a small-ish hole down low in the enclosure. NOT a port, but to permit the driver to breath a bit (in this case the batting is consuming internal volume). There are no formulas that I am aware of. You start small and work your way up until your not getting any weird noises coming from the hole. I have never done this and am not advocating it. Just being informative only. the article was primarily a discussion about using 3-5" woofers in small enclosures.

ChrissyL >> Yes! True! but where do you go to evaluate/purchase good grills? I always thought grills were the unloved stepchild to the whole industry (perty much).
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 01-23-2011, 06:42 PM   #23
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 DX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I removed the grills because the door panel already has enough of a grill.

The grill on the tweeter is metal the midrange driver is plastic.

The fiber fill is still debated wether it works or not. Some people say it improves bass some people say its nonsence.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #24
Tom
FF Founder

Fan#: 2
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen ZX3 SES Turbo

FF Reputation: 60 Tom Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
This is an excellent post and thanks for sharing. I've just updated this to sticky status.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #25
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
The fiber fill is still debated wether it works or not. Some people say it improves bass some people say its nonsence.
Hehe! Ya! I know! It's like asking what's the best oil. All you can do is try it and decide for yourself, as the final arbiter is your ears.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 01-24-2011, 11:54 PM   #26
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 DX3 SE

FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Hehe! Ya! I know! It's like asking what's the best oil. All you can do is try it and decide for yourself, as the final arbiter is your ears.
Well all i have is the loose fiberfill stuff like what you would find in a pillow. The stuff in the Ford componet speaker is like a sheet similar to a sheet of fiberglass.

I would run a test with the fiberfill and the sheet stuff but i dont have any right now.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #27
jinstall
Deutsche Arsche

Fan#: 9730
What I Drive: 01 ZX3RACECAR/04 ST170/13 FST2

FF Reputation: 4 jinstall Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyL View Post
First, let me compliment everyone on their contributions to an interesting audio thread, especially the OP for actually using test procedures instead of relying solely on subjective impressions. I also used to "do this stuff" pretty hardcore back in the '70s, studying with the techs at Seattle's Speakerlab and building some pretty high-end home systems, including custom speaker cabinets, custom cross-overs, Phase Linear amps, blah, blah.

So here's my small contribution, relating to the quote. Well-designed speaker grilles may improve dispersion of upper-midrange and treble frequencies. You should be able to hear a difference between the grill on and off. With a good grill, the higher frequency sound will be more consistent as you move your head around or change seating positions in the car or other listening environment. This helps in the localization or sound-staging of instruments.
I like this, very true. I fuss with speaker placement for days when I move from one house to another.
2013 Focus ST2 TS NAV SUNROOF-Hers
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #28
ChrissyL
Trying to Focus

Fan#: 64813
What I Drive: '13 Performance Blue ST3

FF Reputation: 13 ChrissyL Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
ChrissyL >> Yes! True! but where do you go to evaluate/purchase good grills? I always thought grills were the unloved stepchild to the whole industry (perty much).
Actually, the industry cranks out lots of OEM and aftermarket car speaker grills. It's very easy to find purchase info, especially pictures (as though the visual aesthetics are what we buy speakers for), but it's much harder to find good evaluative information. I guess a lot of the detailed knowledge is protected as proprietary.

I did a quick Google search for "speaker grille design" and found a bunch of mildly informative links. But there doesn't seem to be much that goes into any depth. I guess for us consumers/hobbyists, a lot of trial-and-error and sharing of experiences is nearly as informative.
NW Posse #17
"Straight roads are for fast cars. Curvy roads are for fast drivers."
Old 03-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #29
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Grill's are not proprietary unless there very high end home units, they simply don't test them to any degree (that would be expensive). So it's all visual aesthetics. I mean, who is going to put a sonically correct, 'butt ugly' grill in there car?
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #30
lacole725
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85112
What I Drive: 2010 Ingot Silver Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 lacole725 Good Standing Member
I am suprised just how much the stock speakers have improved over a short 6 years. I drive all the time for work, so I enjoy listening to active music like rap and pop. I just traded in my 2004 F150 for a 2010 Focus SE and on the way home, my girlfriend said, "let's see how these speakers are." She turned on some Lil Wayne and turned up the volume. I couldn't believe how great the speakers sounded and the bass was incredible! She said,"somebody must have turned the bass up," then she checked it. To our amazement, it was set at zero. I am so happy with my stock sound system.
2010 Ford Focus SE|Ingot Silver Metallic|Debadged Deck Lid|FSWerks Cool-Flo Race Air Intake System|FSWerks SCT X3, 93 Octane|CFM Lower Engine Torque Mount w/ Race Bushings|Steeda Rear Swaybar|Pioneer 3-Way Speakers|Budget Race Exhaust

Bookmarks & Social Networks