How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78699
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3 SE

Points 11,745, Level 71
Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71 Points: 11,745, Level: 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 12 BowerR64 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
How the OEM speakers stack up to upgrade speakers (pictures)

A few months ago i wanted to upgrade the stock speakers in my 07 SE i found a guy on craigslist with a set of Alpine and a set of CerwinVega then decided if i get a double din with DVD i may want the same speakers in the front as the back so i decided not to mismatch the front and the rear.
I found another guy selling a kenwood single din and 4 pioneer so i went with those insted since they were all 4 the same.
When i went to replace the spakers i noticed that some one who owned the car before me replaced the drivers door with one of the "shaker" componet drivers so thats why i have one. (i think they are the shaker componet drivers?) or premium speakers, mach?

Also i bought these 6X9 tweeter add on things from parts express it has a big plastic cross holding the tweeter to the speaker basket (middle speaker)

The 5 speakers i tested

Here is the plot for all 5 speakers

next to the componet speaker the oem has decent bass and good high end even though its just a "whizzer" type. Tlhe componet driver uses a seperate dome style tweeter yet it doesnt seem to be much better in the higher frequencies.

By adding the seperate "super tweeter" to the stock speaker it gained some more high frequencies but took a big dip between 4-10K

Whats the most interesting is how well the stockers do against the well known brands. The alpine seems to have a tad bit more bass around 100-200hz and seems to go lower then the stocker and vega between 40-60hz

The vega has the most top end but its a "3way" so i figured the 2 extra tweeters on the top give it more top end. compareed to the OEM speaker the Alpine will probobly sound warm. The vega brighter then all of them, not as much bass as i figured it would have.

What i found the most shocking was how flat the FORD componet driver is. It must have a crossover in it how the bass slopes. IMO it has the best curve of them all if you run a sub. The stockers are better then i figured they would be though. IMO i would keep the stock speakers and save money for a better head unit.

Last edited by BowerR64; 01-21-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
mikebontoft
Aurelius Pardus

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

Points 23,520, Level 94
Points: 23,520, Level: 94 Points: 23,520, Level: 94 Points: 23,520, Level: 94
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This is neat..... How did you test them anyway?

I have been impressed by the stock speakers..... I was actually disappointed when i installed my kenwoods because i lost a good amount of bass, though it did gain on the top end. This was with my kenwood head unit on the same settings for both speaker sets.Posted via FF Mobile
Old 01-20-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,745, Level 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Yeah i felt the same way with my stock speakers after i upgraded to the pioneer that is in the car now.

After i found the alpine and the vega speakers another guy had a kenwood radio with 4 pioneer speakers for $75. I put the radio in the next day but it took me a few weeks before the weather was nice enough to work outside and replace the speakers. So i drove around a while with the stock speakers in it. I noticed a big improvement when i changed the radio out but when i changed the speakers out i was disapointed that there was really not much gain in bass or top end. The stock speakers really arnt that bad IMO.

The program i used is called "REW" its a "room equalizer program" for tunning speakers, the room, sound panels, subs. Its a free download if you search google. I used it for home theater speaker setup and placement but its a good tool for other audio stuff like this as well.

I installed it on a laptop, hooked the "headphone" out to a small amp, the microphone into the mic input and just ran the calibration and tested each speaker. I modified a small klipsch speaker box to fit the 6X8 speakers so i could clip the leads to each speaker after each test.

Its pretty easy to setup and use if you have different speakers to test.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,745, Level 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
My friend has an older 3000 GT with some nice speakers and his back panel speakers sound bad so he bought some sound baffels. He ran the program and then he is going to run it again after he installs the speaker baffels. Another good tool to see if the changes he makes do anything to help or hinder the sound.

I think it will rob all the bass but it might flatten the overall sound similar to the ford componet speakers. He is planning to run a sub later also.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

Points 135,887, Level 100
Points: 135,887, Level: 100 Points: 135,887, Level: 100 Points: 135,887, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 65%
Activity: 65% Activity: 65% Activity: 65%
FF Reputation: 48 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Wow I'm impressed with the stockers has well. But add a sub in the equation and the speakers with the more top end might be wanted to counter the much stronger bass response down low.

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 01-21-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for taking the time to do a really good test!
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 01-21-2011, 03:35 PM   #7
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,745, Level 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
Thanks for taking the time to do a really good test!
Its kinda fun messing with this stuff, ive wanted to do it for a while just couldnt gather up all the stuff.

I kinda like the flat curve of that ford componet speaker so i went looking on e-bay and im finding they are made by JBL? are the oem 6x8s made by JBL too?

I might go and look at some junk yards in the area and try and find 4 of em when the weather warms up some. A guy on e-bay had 4 pulled from a lincoln town car. They must come with the premium speaker setup
Old 01-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #8
S0C0nFused
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 39405
What I Drive: 2007 TorD-Red ZX5 SES

Points 11,949, Level 71
Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71 Points: 11,949, Level: 71
Level Up 75% Completed
Level up: 75% Level up: 75% Level up: 75%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 77 S0C0nFused Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I used to 'mess with this stuff' a long time ago. The key is getting the specs for the particular driver (not easy to do most times). Then tuning the enclosure for the driver. But as most car speakers fit into such weird spaces, I never mastered how to do that exactly (internal volume is what???). Add in sympathetic vibrations and, well, I just threw my hands up. Anyway, I agree that it appears that the ford component driver has some sort of filter on it. Note the total lack of 'Q' in the 50-80hz range. Very odd without a bandpass filter.
Last of the Hatches #28
Old 01-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,745, Level 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0C0nFused View Post
I used to 'mess with this stuff' a long time ago. The key is getting the specs for the particular driver (not easy to do most times). Then tuning the enclosure for the driver. But as most car speakers fit into such weird spaces, I never mastered how to do that exactly (internal volume is what???). Add in sympathetic vibrations and, well, I just threw my hands up. Anyway, I agree that it appears that the ford component driver has some sort of filter on it. Note the total lack of 'Q' in the 50-80hz range. Very odd without a bandpass filter.
Its fun, audio stuff is very fun interesting stuff to me.

I took the componet speaker apart and WOW this thing is NICE! the quality is really good for a factory speaker i must say.

One thing i never liked about some companys was how they rate the wattage of speakers. specialy companys like pioneer 240watts!? these componet speakers are rated for 25 to me that is so much more realistic.

any way look at the quality of these speakers!

look at the crossover, thats somthing you would see in a home speaker

The drivers are beefy, specialy the tweeter

big healty magnets

even took the time and cost to add foam packing

i went ahead and rebuilt iy but removed the grills, i might have to test them again and see if the sound changes any with the grills removed

The woofer driver kinda reminds me of bose outdoor drivers, they have a similar look as somthing ive seen in a bose speaker
Old 01-21-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
BowerR64
Focus Fanatic

Points 11,745, Level 71
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
well it opened up the tweeter a little more but seem to take some of the upper midrange away doing the grill removal.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.