p0193 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-20-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
andysouza3235
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 78989
What I Drive: 2005 Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 1 andysouza3235 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
p0193

Hello fellow focus owners. This a bit of a lengthy story so please bear with me. I've had my 05 zx4ST for about 6 months with no problems. Then about a month ago my check engine light came on. I immediately ran to Autozone and had them pull the code. The guy explained the p0193 code and gave me the little sheet they print out for troubleshooting. Since the cheapest possible fix was to replace the fuel filter, that's what I did. After that I went back to Autozone to have them reset the code. Of course it threw like 7 more codes from running it dead to change the filter, so I had the guy clear everything. Then it came back about 3 days later. Next step was to check the fuel rail sensor, which was nice and clean inside and out. Maybe a week later the light went off and has been off till today. So i went back to Autozone to have it read and it came up with the same thing. The car always runs great and didn't really change when i changed the fuel filter. The only problem I have is the long crank problem that a lot of people seem to have. Other than that it's great. Thanks for listening, any help is greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #2
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
p0193- Fuel Rail Pressure Circuit High Input

the voltage going to the PCM from the sensor is to high.

i don't know why they told you to do a fuel filter.

according to Michell on demand, the possible causes are a bad Fuel Rail Pressure sensor (electrical malfunction not a cleanliness issue), or FRP open/ shorted circuit.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-20-2011, 04:31 PM   #3
andysouza3235
Focus Enthusiast

So in other words, there is nothing wrong with my fuel pressure? Its just an electrical thing either wiring or sensor malfunction. Is there any relatively easy way to test for this without sending it to a mechanic?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #4
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
If you have a DMM you could test the circuit. but that requires some electrical knowledge. I am going to have to find some more information on circuit specifics for you.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #5
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andysouza3235 View Post
So in other words, there is nothing wrong with my fuel pressure? Its just an electrical thing either wiring or sensor malfunction. Is there any relatively easy way to test for this without sending it to a mechanic?
Well you can never go wrong by changing a fuel filter. Those have a 25k mile service interval, and are commonly over looked. Typical fuel pump life is 100-150k miles, and I wonder if it would last longer if the filter was changed regularly since mine is full of black crud every 20k miles. 130k and counting.

That being said, the problem is most likely the fuel sensor. To change it you'll have to go through the fuel pressure relief procedure like when you changed the fuel pump, then remove the Fuel sensor, and replace. IIRC, it's about a $160 part from a Ford dealer, RockAuto has it for $112. We also have dealers that we work with for discount prices. One in WI and another in NC. Their discounts are often surprising. I'm not sure if the NC dealer is still doing it or not. The one in WI is Tousley Ford, and you call up the parts dept, ask for Steve, tell him you were referred to him from Focus Fanatics. Then he'll tell you the price.

Personally, I think it's the part itself, but I'm surprised that you're not experiencing other fuel related codes- lean or rich codes. Have you noticed any change in fuel economy? What kind of fuel economy do you get?

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
andysouza3235
Focus Enthusiast

I get around 27 mpg. That's mostly back roads. It went down a little once it got cold, especially with driving really slow on slick roads (i have street tires, not all seasons). So lately I've been getting around 24 or 25 depending on how often i have to drive really slow. I'm pretty good with electronics so testing it wouldn't be a problem. I just need to know what to look for since its variable. The code says its out of range but what IS the range? Also, I wouldn't think that if it were a problem with the pump it would have fixed itself for a week and then come back. I just wanna make absolutely sure before I start throwing money at it.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
andysouza3235
Focus Enthusiast

Also..... just minutes after I posted on Friday I left the house and to my surprise the light was off. It's got to be the sensor, just wanna find a way to test it first.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
That fuel economy might be slightly low. As I recall ST's get similar mileage to the smaller engines when driven sanely.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
andysouza3235
Focus Enthusiast

27 is what I've always gotten but then it went down a bit when it got cold. I thought it was normal since the highway estimation is 31 so mostly back roads at 27 was pretty good. I would say I drive sanely but not putt put. I came from a Saturn Sl1 with 230,000 miles so I tend to enjoy the pep of the ST. However, there is no difference in the car's behavior whether the light is on or off. Just another thing that leads to sensor problems I guess. If the pump was miraculously getting better and worse I would think there would be a change in how it ran. The light has been off since Friday evening so we'll have to see how long it lasts this time.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:31 PM   #10
andysouza3235
Focus Enthusiast

Well now it's going on and off every few days. I think I'm just gonna wing it on the sensor. I've looked at all the wiring and it all seems in perfect shape so it's got to be the sensor itself. Thanks to everyone that helped, it's greatly appreciated!

Bookmarks & Social Networks