Tiburon Race Edition? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-13-2004, 06:37 AM   #1
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Question Tiburon Race Edition?

Ok, over the weekend I was at a friends house cause he was having a party. Most of the guys were outside in front of his neighbors house looking at a red Tiburon. They were all like "Man this car is awesome" and "You gotta go for a ride". It looked like a normal Red Tiburon V6 to me. Didn't know what year it was, but it's the new body style.

The dude (forgot his name, I'll call him Dude from now on) was telling me about his car. He said it could go 170 stock, and had Kumho tires (said that one MANY times) and could take these curves at 170. Oh yeah, only 12 or 18 are in the US.

Then my friend was telling me about the red interior (it was night out and I didn't look inside) and how cool it was and said it had lots of gauges including a miles per gallon gauge. Why the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] would a race car have one of those gauges? I know if I wanted to race, MPG's would be the last thing on my mind. He also told me that he could take corners fast without squealing the tires because they were Kumhos (yep, I heard quite a bit about the Kumhos and how great they are).

Anyways I start to raise the "bs" flag and the guy challenges me to a street race. I proceed to tell him that he'd probably own me on the straights (found out he has a intake and chip after he told me it was stock), but if we hit the curves that I'd probably own. Well, this guy was drinking for a while, and I'm not to big on street racing and I decline. I'd love to see if he could get to 170. He didn't know a friggin' thing about my SVTF, nor did my friends. They all thought it had a gutless 4 banger in it!

So yesterday I spent an hour trying to find info on a Race Edition and couldn't find anything except pictures of a race car (which uses the same 172 hp V6 as a regular Tiburon BTW) with a gutted interior, which the Tiburon I was looking at had a full interior. The next closest thing to a Race Edition I could find is the Tiburon GT Special Edition, which is what I believe it was.

I'm just wondering if anybody knows if these cars really do exist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2004, 07:44 AM   #2
racerdan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 10484
What I Drive: 04 Silver SVT 858 of 1978 Born Ja

FF Reputation: 1 racerdan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Takes curves at 170???????? My wifes BMW had a MPG guage...It's called a manifold vacuum guage,

It's a stock race car but you found out it had a chip and intake????? Please!!!!!

You ain't old enough to have that much to bitch about!!!
Old 09-13-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
Bluefocusx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5590
FF Reputation: 1 Bluefocusx Good Standing Member
They exist, and they arent much faster. V6 tiburons are slow nuts, mainly cause they are heavy and its a hyundai...

The slowest v6 cars i can think of? Cougars, Mustangs, and Tiburons... oh and dont forget the v6 eclipse... lmao.

AIM: Bluereiger
Old 09-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #4
jonnycat
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1390
What I Drive: '03 Bitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 jonnycat Good Standing Member
you forgot avengers
Old 09-13-2004, 03:19 PM   #5
GCubes
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5663
What I Drive: Black MazdaSpeed3

FF Reputation: 1 GCubes Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluefocusx
V6 tiburons are slow nuts, mainly cause they are heavy and its a hyundai...
That's crazy talk. Did you ever drove one? My friend has a Tiburon Tuscani V6 and it's quick. 1/4 mile in 15.4 with his AEM CAI.
It's true that it's 250lbs heavier than a Focus SVT but it has more torque.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:37 PM   #6
kaiten2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 9696
What I Drive: 2004, red, zts

FF Reputation: 1 kaiten2 Good Standing Member
15.4 with CAI is not too impressive for a v6 if I could have got my 60 foot time down i could have ran that time with only a CAI on my focus. I ran a 15.6 with just my Inatke when my car was first bought. And that was with a crappy 2.5 60 foot time.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
l88m22vette
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2184
What I Drive: 2001 Twilight Blue ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 l88m22vette Good Standing Member
haha. My ricer radar would have gone off in a second around him. Hes full of crap

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/honda-ad.html
Old 09-13-2004, 06:49 PM   #8
Toolman00
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2744
What I Drive: 2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4

FF Reputation: 3 Toolman00 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I figured it was bunk... I couldn't get enough of his bs, especially about the Kumhos! All my buddies were like, he's got AWESOME tires and believed everything the guy said! I said my tires are good too. They asked what they were and when I said Continental's they said they never heard of 'em. Oh, but his are summer tires... Boy do I love ignorant people who believe everything someone says! That's when I stopped picking apart his car. I wonder what they'll say when I get some Pirelli's.

I know that Tiburons with the V6 aren't slow, but they are when you compare it to other 6's. They are also quite small. I know the MPG gauge is typically a vaccum gauge, but I believe it was one that says what you are getting (think Eddie Bauer Explorers or Grand Prix with the little info display)

Another V6 that's slow, the 3.1L V6 in a Cavalier Z24 (early 90's). It was a good motor in the day, but I clearly showed him that a tiny 2L I-4 can haul (no we weren't racing).
Old 09-14-2004, 06:17 AM   #9
jb10fan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8231
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT 3-Door

FF Reputation: 1 jb10fan Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GCubes
That's crazy talk. Did you ever drove one? My friend has a Tiburon Tuscani V6 and it's quick. 1/4 mile in 15.4 with his AEM CAI.
So how do u figure thats fast? a ZX3 can do that with a few bolt ons, an SVT can do that stock with a good driver, he has a v6 and still needs a CAI to do it?? junkkkkkkkkkkkk
Old 09-14-2004, 08:12 AM   #10
Bluefocusx
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5590
FF Reputation: 1 Bluefocusx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally posted by GCubes

Since getting my race header i have never lost to any of the car mentioned. Even ones with Intake/exhaust.

So, lets see. My car = 9k + 1500 in bolt ons

Tiburon v6 is 20k + say 700 for intake/exhaust.

My car faster than tiburon for 10 grand less and 2 less cylinders.

Seriously, tell your friend with his tiburon ill race him for money.

Bookmarks & Social Networks