Introducing the All-New Ford Focus Electric - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus Electric

MK3 Focus Electric The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 all-electric Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #81
BriZZell
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93988
What I Drive: 01, silver, forget

FF Reputation: 1 BriZZell Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Doors way to small - jokingly so
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #82
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87642
What I Drive: 2004 Audi A4 Quattro

FF Reputation: 1 voip-ninja Good Standing Member
I'm pretty sure the doors are the same size as on the regular gas focus.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #83
BriZZell
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 93988
What I Drive: 01, silver, forget

FF Reputation: 1 BriZZell Good Standing Member
Over all tho cars are not meant to be driven anymore. If I spin my head around I shouldn't fear the a-pillar. If I want to get in the car I should be able to turn - drop but - turn - lift feet and done. look at the arm rest in relation to the seat.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #84
clark08
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94348
What I Drive: 2005 honda civic

FF Reputation: 1 clark08 Good Standing Member
Going electric

So I'm trying to decide between this electric ford focus or the Nissan leaf. Traditionally I try no to buy the first version of new technologies (Until they work out the bugs) but its time to quick blowing money at the pump. I've been in talks with www.greenerenergysolutions.net and they've helped me find tax credits and explain home charging stations to me. But I didn't know if anyone had a preference between the leaf or the focus ?
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #85
st falcon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92343
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy HATCH SEL

FF Reputation: 3 st falcon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by clark08 View Post
So I'm trying to decide between this electric ford focus or the Nissan leaf. Traditionally I try no to buy the first version of new technologies (Until they work out the bugs) but its time to quick blowing money at the pump. I've been in talks with www.greenerenergysolutions.net and they've helped me find tax credits and explain home charging stations to me. But I didn't know if anyone had a preference between the leaf or the focus ?
I think the range is probably the best factor of the Focus over then leaf, not to mention the fact that it handles and drives like a "real" car. Plus, the Profits from the focus stay here in the US.

EDIT: And as for the new tech part, you are actually getting more research and devolopment years in the Focus, as ford has been working on the electric drive train for as long as Nissan has, yet they wanted to enhance the capabilities of the electric focus, which meant waiting until the right battery/motor/platform were available. Hence the 2012 electric focus.

1996 Bronco XLT 351W
Cant wait for Summer when I pop the top!!
Old 01-29-2012, 02:55 AM   #86
Greg Alden
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 61493
What I Drive: 03' black EAP SVT,06' sonic blue ST

FF Reputation: 1 Greg Alden Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdamay View Post
That was my first thought as well! But if you look at the close-up photo, is it even a real grille? Or just there for looks? Maybe it's just the heavily retouched image that makes it look fake. On topic, I'm not ready for an electric car just yet.
i agree it looks fake but if the car is electric it can look however you want it to look since airflow through the grill is not even needed for cooling. if that were the case i'd prefer letting my car breath.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #87
blackonblacksvt03
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80038
What I Drive: 2003 pitch black SVT 3D

Points 2,296, Level 28
Points: 2,296, Level: 28 Points: 2,296, Level: 28 Points: 2,296, Level: 28
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 blackonblacksvt03 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
im waiting to drive one i went to school on them awhile ago and it looks good on paper but who knows

I work on Fords all day so more than likely i know more about your car than you.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:17 PM   #88
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark08 View Post
I think you will actually get a much better comparison of how they stack up on paper by going to the Nissan Leaf forums, as they have a competitor section and there have been active discussions about the Focus.

As far as real world experience, no one (other than Google) has a Focus Electric, as Ford missed their target to start shipping in 2011, and apparently only a tiny number of units have trickled out so far. I don't think production will even be in the hundreds of units until late this year, with most early orders shipping out possibly closer to the end of 2012.

The Focus is about $4K or so more than the Leaf and has the following advantages;

1. thermal management battery system. This may improve range in temperature extremes and may increase the overall lifespan of the batteries (these batteries, like any other, lose charge capacity over time).

2. The Focus is based on the regular Focus, so many of the parts are just regular parts that will be cheaply available, not specialized parts for a specialized model, as with the Leaf.

3. The Focus includes more "tech" in the way of the Ford Sync/Touch systems, better stereo, etc. This may or may not matter to the average driver.

Dis-advantages of the Focus to the leaf;

1. It's more expensive, a lot more expensive.

2. It has less overall battery capacity than the leaf, so it is highly unlikely it will have as much overall range as the Leaf, but it is likely to be close. Notice that Ford has been using "real world" range estimates of about 75 miles or so on a charge. Leaf does 100 miles on a charge in the California test course, so it's hard to say how, with 10% less useable battery the Ford will compete in this area.

3. The Leaf has a better and more useable cargo area than the Focus Electric. The Focus Electric has a large hump for the electric motor that noticeably intrudes into the cargo area, limiting cargo capacity and also making it much more difficult to fold the seats flat and place large objects in the cargo area. Because the leaf is a purpose designed electric, not a conversion it does not have this problem.

4. It's a conversion. The Focus is a conversion that consists of a partnership between Magna and Ford. Magna showed off (about 18-24 months ago) a prototype conversion Focus and Ford was enthralled and decided to partner up with them and put it into production. Don't let others fool you, Ford is not very serious about Electrics as they aren't doing the work in house. Nissan has done ALL of the Leaf development in house.. this is (in my opinion) one of the reasons that the Focus is shipping so late and in such low quantities.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #89
voip-ninja
Focus Enthusiast

And actually I forgot what is probably the biggest advantage of the Focus Electric over the leaf, the on-board 6.6KWh charger, which will allow the Focus to charge in 1/2 the time as the leaf on regular 220V 30A household power that is available in most homes.

If you use 1/2 the Focus battery driving to work and back, you can "fill it back up" on your household charger in as little as 2 hours.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #90
AM222
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94536
What I Drive: 2006 Rosso Red Focus Trend M/T

Points 158, Level 3
Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3 Points: 158, Level: 3
Level Up 16% Completed
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 AM222 Good Standing Member
I don't want to sound harsh, but why does the production model look uglier than the pre-production model?

Pre-production model

Production model (Smaller fake grill on what appears to be a longer nose makes it look like its pouting)

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.