F-150 Edge Evolution as a monitor on the focus. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Focus Tuning Chat

Focus Tuning Chat Discuss performance tuning options for your Ford Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #1
spyder0069
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81540
What I Drive: 2004 Light Tundra Focus ZX3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 spyder0069 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
F-150 Edge Evolution as a monitor on the focus.

I have been a browser to this forum which has been a great help with my knowledge of my newly purchased 2004 ZX3 automatic. I hope to squeeze some economy out of this vehicle which also keeps my 2007 F-150 out of the salted roads this winter. In doing so I had gotten used to my edge programmer in my F-150 which has an option to show what gear you are in and if the torque converter is locked. This is nice because for towing if you keep the converter locked as much as possible it tends to lower your trans temp which is great for my truck but also it should provide a small percentage of increase in fuel economy too which is my interest with the focus application. Often I can be driving in the city and the converter is unlocked even though only slight gas is applied. Sometimes you can lightly let up and the ecm will lock the converter and then lightly reapply throttle and it will stay locked. I would guess there may even be longevity advantages to having it locked more often and a good chance the fluid will stay cleaner over a longer period of time.

After researching alot of the gauges it seemed that many of them didn't show this option. In fact the dashhawk (which looks identical to the edge only its just a monitor) did not show that it supported the gear display. Just for kicks I returned my F-150 back to stock with my edge and tried it in the focus. Now of course I DID NOT ATTEMPT ANY OF THE PERFORMANCE TUNING as I am sure it would tank the ecm.

On power up it recognized the ecm and showed the ecm file as UKAKEP3.HEX. I recently had my focus in the shop and asked them to flash the latest firmware into the ecm. I can't tell you if the above file name can be deciphered to represent any exact version of flash my focus has. After hitting enter the edge went into the standard monitor display. I am happy to report that the majority of its features did work fine. I went through each display to see what was getting values. On a test drive the vehicle MPH was correct and it looked like the estimated MPG and instant MPG display were also going to be accurate. However, instant MPG only shows 30+ as its max number and I haven't gone through a tank of gas to really verify how accurate it is. Here is a list of displays that worked:

Engine Speed
Vehicle Speed
Engine Coolant Temp
Trans Fluid Temp
Cyl Head Temp
Intake Air Temp
Actual FRP PSI
Output Shaft Speed
Turbine Shaft Speed
Mass Air Flow
Mass Air Flow V
Spark Advance
Engine Load Percent
Battery Voltage
Instant MPG
Average MPG
Comm Gear (Gear and Torque Converter Lockup Status)

Here are the functions that had no reading:
Engine Oil Temp
Line Pressure Desired
Variable Cam
Torque Control
Accelerator Pedal Position

The performance tests (0-60 and 1/4 mile) worked fine and so did the logged records and alert functionality. It also worked to read the codes and erase the codes (had one in there for when I tried a non-programmed pats key).

Its possible that the dashhawk could show these but from my reading that product is end of life which concerns me as far as purchasing one. So there you go. If you already have a Edge Evolution for the F-150 or find one cheap you can use it as a monitor for the focus. Just don't try to program a tune.

Oh, and for those wondering what the results were from the "performance tests" the edge showed 0-60 was 7.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile was 16.0 seconds at 86mph. Thats stock with 94K on the 2.3L with no mods other than the recent maintenance such as new plugs (autolight 104s gapped to .055), mobile 1, tranny filter and fluid, overdrive disabled. This focus has the 16" alloys with 205/50/16's on them so I suspect those numbers could be used for a good baseline. I didn't brake torque or anything and I made sure to not spin the tires so that it wouldn't throw off the calculations. This focus is the "premium" version with the stock 150,000 mile air filter and exhaust. I thought I read those air filters are less restrictive so I figured I would mention it. This is on 87 octane at half tank. Just a slightly nervous romp on a backroad. Oh, and 220lbs driver.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
spyder0069
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81540
What I Drive: 2004 Light Tundra Focus ZX3 2.3L

FF Reputation: 1 spyder0069 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Doh, I just noticed there is a section on this forum called "Interior Mods & Upgrades Chat
" that may be more appropriate for this post. Moderator, feel free to move it. :^)

Bookmarks & Social Networks