Who Cares about what they Eat? - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #81
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Not sure if this has been covered or not. But how do you all feel about PUR/Brita vs. bottled water? I drink a crapload of water and I'm kind of tired of all the plastic bottles piling up. I bought a PUR on-tap filter and the water tastes just like bottled water. Not having water bottles everywhere and saving some money would be really nice. But what do you think is healthier?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #82
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have one on my sink.

Yes I think it is better, it does remove chlorine which has been identified as potential carcinogen by the Mayo Clinic. It also removes most of the larger possible contaminates like lead, some petroleum distillates, and pretty much everything nasty except benzene based compounds if I recall correctly.

Here's an article, but there's a lot more information. If you know someone with a CR subscription that will really help you figure out what filters filter.

The PUR is the best results for the cost IMO, however, I would gladly switch if I could find a worthwhile system that didn't have the kinds of problems you have with PUR systems. I'd also like one that fits on the faucet like the Pur does. It seems to me that you go through approximately 4 filters before you have to purchase another complete system. Sometimes it lasts longer, and sometimes it doesn't. The components that you can't get to are the ones that fail, or it cracks around where you attach it to the faucet. No matter how it fails- you end up with a leak whether it's before or after the filter. I thought about getting a GE version, but after checking CR, the Pur is a better filter. There's no guarantee that the Brita or GE faucet filters, which are more expensive, won't fail exactly like the PURs all do. I do have a GE icemaker filter installed on the ice maker line. Ice lasts much longer, and doesn't smell funny.

Memphis has a lot of chlorine in the water. Once you get used to drinking water without it- you simply can't drink chlorinated water. Everything starts to smell like swimming pools. It takes a couple of weeks of drinking cleaned water before you notice it- at least here, your area may have less chlorine.

I trust the filter on my sink more than I trust the bottled water industry. That being said, when I work I do routinely purchase a case of bottled water, then refill those bottles. Industry insiders tell us not to refill the bottles because bacteria from our mouths will multiply in the bottle if we continue to re-use it. My science teacher taught me that bacteria don't live long after being deprived of water. I wash the bottles, and allow them to dry- just make sure you rinse well. I'm more afraid of detergent than bacteria- although both tend to cause extreme diarrhea.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #83
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Just an added note: When the PUR cracks up on you, look at Walgreens or online for Culligan filters. I checked CR, and according to them the Culligan filtered more lead. According to the reviewers I read, they were ditching their PUR filters for the same reason I am, and were more impressed with the Culligan/Walgreens brand. Apparently the Walgreens brand is a Culligan with their name on it. It is cheaper than the PUR as well. I'll let you know. My PUR is cracked at the top which I've fixed with waterproof tape, but as soon as this filter stops- I'm getting a new one. I have to replace the water filter 2-3x per year, but when I was single- it was less, more like 1/yr. Even with my daughter, wife, daily coffee, and filling up her humidifier with filtered water: we go through a filter cartridge about every 2 months. It's not that bad, but I hope the Culligan will be cheaper and better at the same time.

Quote:
Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #84
mix1983
Life Is Good

Fan#: 61101
What I Drive: 2000 Honda Civic EX 5spd

FF Reputation: 5 mix1983 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Thanks for the info, not sure why it would crack though? The box said the filters filter up to 100 gallons of water. I don't really expect exactly 100 gallons each time or anything. The model I got has an LED that flashes and says when its bad. I also noticed PUR has two filter cartridges, the ClassicClear and MineralClear.. I think I'll give the Mineral one a shot when mine expires. As long as I'm getting as clean of water from a filter that I would a bottle I'm a happy guy. I go through 2 to 3 - 24 packs of bottled water a week.

Side note, not sure what model you have or how new or old it is. But I know the older units screwed straight to the faucet, mine has a piece that screws on and then the unit clips to it. So maybe PUR fixed the cracking problem.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #85
McDoom
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80213
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 McDoom Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Putting my two cents in here, I started my keto diet last week, This is the fourth diet I've done but my first keto one, plan on doing it for 6-8 weeks with only 24 hour carb loads.

I diet to cut, I've been into body building for 3-4 years now, not competition or anything so it's fairly moderate as In I don't eat fast food or sterotypical junk food but I'm not shy on having a brew or a dessert here and there.

But I do have to say though ever since I've stop eating bad food and started educating myself on what goes into my body I do have to say it pays to care about what you eat!!

Now due in part to being phyisically active I'm not stating that these differences are due solely to eating healthier foods but I'll list the things I've noticed that changed in me.

Clearer skin, through to roof energy, increased mental retention and activity, less irritability, and also I find that by somehow eating healthier made me more disciplined and organized, it's weird I know but I just felt it.

I think that everyone should care about their bodies and since food is our fuel most importantly your food,.. I mean I wouldn't put arco unleaded in my svt so why put crap in your fuel tank? :)
Old 02-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #86
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mix1983 View Post
Thanks for the info, not sure why it would crack though?
Since I put one on here like 4 years ago or so I've gone through several- I think they are made out of inferior materials intentionally. You'll go through several cartridges before the cartridge holder breaks. Both of them have an indicator. The lower priced model has a window that shows when the filter is bad, and both of them will stop flowing water when it's time to change the filter. The water stopping is actually mechanical and timed. There have been times when I had to have water, but didn't have another cartridge- so I popped the old one out, put it back in- and it worked again. No change in the taste either.

Thanks for the input McDoom- that's exactly what I'm writing about, although I did make mention of the low-carb and low-fat weight loss diet plans. As far as exercise goes, that's a personal path as well as scientific. I prefer less weight resistance training, and more stretch and aerobic/anaerobic training. I used to feverishly do my stretching routine so that it was really aerobic exercise. Now that I'm older and lazier, I like the anaerobic for keeping me from losing muscle when I'm not working. Now if I could only get my horse stance up to 45 mins- I'd keep my legs. The yoga version is more difficult than the martial arts version since you're supposed to raise the back of your feet as well.

A regular exercise routine helps maintain that mental energy and enthusiasm. I know I always feel a lot smarter when I work out regularly. Now if I could only get my wife to understand that hmmmm

Quote:
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 PM   #87
BlueSEsvt
Focus Addict

Fan#: 48460
What I Drive: 2001 Blue Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 BlueSEsvt Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I have read about keto but have never tried it. Do you guys have a link to a thread where I can read an sample diet? I have just always been eatting clean for the passed 2 years with a cheat meal once and a while. I just cut out the soda's fast food and junk that I didnt need and since then I have lost 36 lbs of fat and gained about 18lbs of muscle. 2 years :)
Sedan Revolution #165
Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM   #88
edingeek
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1152
What I Drive: 03 SVTf & 00 Xploder AWD 5.0

FF Reputation: 4 edingeek Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm on a seefood diet... I SEE food, and I eat it!!

Nah... I eat a TON, but mostly good stuff :D

Bookmarks & Social Networks