Who Cares about what they Eat? - Page 8 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #71
jmiller_1974
Flipping Rockstar

Fan#: 57165
What I Drive: Black 02 SVT #2998

FF Reputation: 28 jmiller_1974 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
I forgot(and subsequently lost) a McD's cheeseburger in my trunk for over a year. It was perfectly preserved. That was all I needed to stop eating McD's immediately. LOL< I never quit something so fast in My entire life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 05:13 PM   #72
focusdgirl
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 82196
What I Drive: 2010 Ebony Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 focusdgirl Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I agree with it having to be a lifestyle change. I found good advice here if you are looking for habit forming.

http://mylifestages.org/MyLifeStages...tryId=g468roxr
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 05:46 PM   #73
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
[QUOTE=eazyrider_tim;3533952]I have to check that out, I am at the office. Is it on Hulu or Youtube?QUOTE]

I found The Beautiful Truth on Netflix. It should be availabe at DVD rental places too I would think.

It's about an Alaskan boy who embarks on an assignment to learn all about conventional cancer treatment vs. the Gerson Diet. WAY interesting.

One of the most fascinating things, I thought, was about the ADA and their resistance to the idea of NOT putting toxic Mercury into people's mouths.... but the film is pretty much chock-full of good debate points. I thought it all made a helluva lot of sense, but I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there who would be willing to disagree all day long.

Last edited by ElectricAL; 01-25-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:28 PM   #74
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

I just finished watching The Future of Food. Everybody should be encouraged to watch this. The truth is almost stranger than fiction...
Old 01-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #75
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,546, Level 98
Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98 Points: 27,546, Level: 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I have not watched that one yet. I was a bit afraid after watching "Food Inc" with the way Tyson and other companies treat chicken farmers. Not to mention the chickens. I just hope you can cook all that out. There are times when ignorance can truly be bliss.

Yet I plug on. Busy weekend, but I'll try to write up something about Excitotoxins like I promised.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #76
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

I saw a good portion of Food Inc and I thought that that was pretty alarming, too. It's deplorable what the agrobusiness giants are doing to the farmer... and to our health. The Future of Food is similar but it really puts the spotlight on Monsanto. I mean, really: trying to buy up ALL crop seeds and patenting them? Installing a "Terminator gene" in each so that the seed will be useful for one generation only, rendering itself sterile/useless after that?

It's a serious case of corporate greed and ruthlessness that could end up having dire consequences...
Old 01-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #77
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
I have watched food inc, and the future of food. They are both very good documentaries. lots of interesting facts. I suggests you watch king corn next. It shows how much damage corn is doing and how messed up the corn system is. i think it even gets in to the subject of beef production, but i could be confusing the movies.
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #78
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,546, Level 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
The FDA says it's OK!

Well there are just a ton of pro and con information on food additives, and studies on the more popular public health adversaries like MSG and Aspartame. MSG and MSG-like derivatives appear naturally in foods, and similar compounds have been around since the Romans were fermenting fish entrails to make garum. Both MSG and Aspartame have been investigated by the FDA for safety, and have passed the investigations. Subsequent investigations and studies by other entities have show that there are dangers to these food additives, but legitimate inquiries and studies have been marred by exaggerations of hoax studies. The people who perpetrate the hoaxes probably think that their lofty ideals allow them to fabricate falsehood without repercussions, but the real effect is that less worthwhile attention is paid to scientific studies with supporting- though less dramatic results.

Dr Russel Blaylock claims that although the effect of glutamates and aspartame alone are not terribly harmful, the combination of the two can prove to have toxic neurological effects. He classifies MSG and aspartame as "excitotoxins" in the linked excerpt. What's most upsetting about it is that if Dr. Blaylock's studies are truthful- a very small amount of MSG in the blood stream- 8-12 ug is sufficient to damage neurons. Now I was at my friend's convenience store today getting some free food- not the most healthy stuff in the world, but I did drink a V8 with it (LOL). I noticed that the ranch dressing I had dipped my jalapeno poppers in many times before had less than 2% MSG added. I thought that would be a good example to use for this. The total weight was 1.5 oz, and that translates to 42 g. If MSG was only 1% of the dip, then that would be 420 mg. I figure I can dip about 10 of those poppers in one container of dip until I use it up, so each dip is giving me 42 mg of MSG. Dr. Blaylock says only 12 ug is needed to adversely effect neurotransmitters- so with one dip I'm taking in 35x the amount needed to adversely excite my neurons. Great, I should be dead already I think. According to the WHO (Dr. Who?), says 9.25g per day is safe for consumption, so I'm ok- right?

In the end there are really no conclusive studies showing anything concrete one way or the other. Studies are still being done in neurological effects of MSG and aspartame, as Dr. Blaylock discusses, but the FDA and WHO have concluded that everything is fine. Who do you believe? That's the real answer as to whether or not MSG, aspartame, or any other manufactured additives are good for you comes down to whether or not you believe government funded agencies often led by industry insiders, or wacked out freakazoids searching for a way to use dung for power. Evidence abounds on both sides, but one thing both claim is that the other one is surely lying or exaggerating to further their cause.

Personally, I noticed a difference in my mother's memory (and she did too) after I encouraged her to stop drinking diet drinks. My thinking was the result of a now infamous aspartame smear campaign by some unknown Dr. in the form of an internet chain letter. The results claimed in that chain letter have been proven to be false, and the author proven to be a fake- or was she? Who really knows anything anyway. In the end it's up to us to decide if something is good or bad for us. If you like diet sodas, have fun, and believe me, the people who are drinking high fructose corn syrup sweetened sodas are not that much better off even if the worst claims of anti-aspartame moguls are true. I know my mother stopped having to return to the house multiple times for things she forgot about after stopping drinking diet soda. Now she doesn't drink any soda, and sticks to unsweetened tea instead.

We're all performing scientific experiments on our own bodies, and some day we'll find out what was good or bad for us. The problem is, when you end up with a brain tumor- there are so many other possible causes, that you can't really pin it on Cargill or diet Coke. Even if you did, nobody would listen to you anyway, and within a few years there would be some sort of paper discrediting you circling around the internet. The world of instant information is equal to the world of instant disinformation, and we're just stuck in the middle with more questions than we had when we started. I am not really impressed with some scientists in the world, and their methods. I learned the scientific method in school, and I understand it. I've just seen far too many obvious flaws in experiments designed to produce a certain result that it makes me wonder if there is such a thing as a free thinking scientist. Maybe they are all like the Dead Kennedys song "Well Paid Scientist" instead.

Thats all i hav 2 saye abowt that.

Some references:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monosodium_glutamate
http://www.joyfulaging.com/Excitotoxins.htm
http://medicmagic.net/how-safe-is-msg-to-consume.html

Quote:

Last edited by whynotthinkwhynot; 01-29-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:24 PM   #79
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

^^^ Good stuff, whynot.

You raise the question: Who DO we believe? I know the answer... for me. I'm not going to trust the WHO or the FDA to protect my health. In this day and age, the individual has to watch out for his or her own best interest. Too many big corporate interests are involved. And for them, profit trumps all.

After watching The Beautiful Truth, I googled the title and pulled up a "science" blog with an author who was avidly trying to dismiss the film as "junk science". Then I sifted through several pages of replies. People who WORK in the mainstream health care industry-- in oncology-- were dismissing the blog author and refuting him soundly. But the person who summed it up best, IMO, simply said: "That's OK, not everyone can handle The Beautiful Truth. They'll die off soon enough."
Old 01-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #80
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,546, Level 98
Level Up 20% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
On a really freaky off the wall note: The Mayan prediction of the end of the 5th world in 2012 is most likely misunderstood in popular culture because it's much more interesting to believe that it means the destruction of the world. Descendants of the Mayans, and Mayan archeologists have a different view. It might mean the end of the world as we know it, not the end of the physical world. Similar to the Hopi "end times" predictions, it is not the destruction of humanity, but a change in the way we live our lives- our purpose. The Hopi say we have a choice to make- 2 paths, one leads us to more life, and one leads us to less life. That's about the best way to put it. The actual prediction shows a person traveling down one of 2 roads, one road leading to emptiness, and the other leading to 3 corn stalks. If you look at the way life changed in the early 20th century, then compare it to the changes we're experiencing now- it is possible that we're reversing the wrongs we did to ourselves back in the toddler years of industrialization.

For one, imagine if hemp had not been outlawed, and instead of petroleum based plastics, the mass plastics industry was based on hemp derived biodegradable plastics. We probably wouldn't be seeing the swirling islands of indestructible plastic in both oceans. Let's hope we take the right path is all I can write.

Next up- Nutritional therapy and Max Gerson's findings. I'm really close to getting enough saved up for my juicer, and what I've researched has been right for my mom's condition according to her chiropractor and her local natural medicine store owner.

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.