Who Cares about what they Eat? - Page 5 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Off-Topic Discussions > Fitness Fanatics

Fitness Fanatics The place to discuss information on the latest workout programs, diets, nutrition and weight lifting.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #41
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
The other 2 I was referring to were "A Beautiful Truth" and "Food Matters". Both on instant view.
thanks, i was looking for something to watch today
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #42
eazyrider_tim
Focus Addict

Fan#: 7011
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 SES Gloss Black

FF Reputation: 2 eazyrider_tim Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Thank you for the info. I am thinking about starting my family on a juicing regiment. Fruits smoothie type.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #43
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Whynotthinkwhynot, amazing, I too am excited to see people not only interested but so well informed in this, especially since we are on a car forum. You really gotta research everything, even the organics like you said. And yup red meat and fats are not the enemy. Your body even needs some saturated fats. The important thing is eat everything in moderation. Another topic is protein...this one is for all those vegans and vegetarians out there. No, I'm sorry but animal protein and proteins you get from veggies or beans or supplements are not the same thing and our body does not treat them the same way either. Just like your body doesn't treat all these kinds of sugar the same way.

Wanna be healthy and lose weight. Great way to start is to stay away from and cut back these key things. Loads of sugar/sugar substitutes (sugar, corn syrup, high fructose corn setup, sucrous etc), and you'll notice that in alot of foods one of those if not more then one is in the ingrediants, no matter what kinda food it is. Salt, some salt is good, but again moderation is key, pretty much all the sodium you need is already in stuff naturally. Next is oils, those pesky oils which are also in almost anything. Soybean oil, canola oil, cottonseed oil, sunflower seedoil. These oils, especially when they are from GMO crops are terrible for you. Not only are many of them toxic to the body, they are loaded with chemicals from processing, are stripped of any nutritional value bc of high heat treatments and they contain tons of harmful fatty acids (omega 6s) and raise your LDL levels, that's the bad cholesterol. Next is hydrogenated and enriched ingrediants. Both these pretty much mean in simple terms...we took something healthy processed the F out of it and stripped all the nutrients out of it to make it cost effective. Pretty much a waste of eating this stuff, you'll get all the bad and none of the good.

Now it's gonna be hard, even I have a hard time, because really all the stuff I listed is in almost EVERYTHING!!! Some stuff even has all of them, hydrogenated soybean oil, HFCs, enriched flour, they all like to travel in groups. And the companies don't give a damn what happens to your body because thy making money, their suppliers are making money, and their buddies over at the pharmaceutical companies are making money of the people they poisoned.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:24 PM   #44
DrkKnight614
GO Green

Fan#: 14522
What I Drive: 2003 2.0L Grabber Green Zx3

Points 25,851, Level 96
Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96 Points: 25,851, Level: 96
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 47 DrkKnight614 Great Standing Member
Posted via FF Mobile Oh if you cook with oil use extra virgin olive oil, pretty much the only one that's really healthy for you. There's a reason why the others are so cheap lol...and conola oil, or should I say candian oil is not healthy at all. You know what it comes from, this plant called rapeseed. Couldn't call it rapeseed oil now could they. So slap a fancy name on it and sell it in cheapo big containers. Oh and then tell everyone it's good for you and good for your heart. ROTFL
Old 01-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #45
alex62390
BACON?

Fan#: 60434
What I Drive: 2004 svt focus EAP

FF Reputation: 22 alex62390 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkKnight614 View Post
Posted via FF Mobile Oh if you cook with oil use extra virgin olive oil, pretty much the only one that's really healthy for you. There's a reason why the others are so cheap lol...and conola oil, or should I say candian oil is not healthy at all. You know what it comes from, this plant called rapeseed. Couldn't call it rapeseed oil now could they. So slap a fancy name on it and sell it in cheapo big containers. Oh and then tell everyone it's good for you and good for your heart. ROTFL
There are other healthy oils the best is illegal ATM.
.copy and pasted to here.
"Hemp oil contains the most essential fatty acids (EFAs) of any nut or seed oil, with the omega-3 and omega-6 EFAs occurring in the nutritionally optimal 1:3 ratio."
2004 svt focus EAP #658

Former Hatch Nation #08
Old 01-14-2011, 05:56 PM   #46
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
This thread is BUENO EXCELLENTE!! (don't translate that literally, but uknowwhatimean)!

I've been interested in this topic for years. After going into it full tilt about 5 years ago, I've gradually scaled back because it JUST WASN'T PRACTICAL and it was really expensive to take all the supplements that I was at one point.

But I'm pretty ready to take a look at this again and reincorporate what I can into my life. I already take a multivatimin and vitamin D (seperately) and Acai softgels, but that's it. I know that it would be ideal to grow my food or buy local food from trusted sources but for the most part, that's not gonna happen.

Has anybody done any research on the acid-base balance in the body? I recall reading that some of our health woes are in part due to over-acidity and that it is healthful to eat more foods that increase the body's alkalinity? Anybody got any scoops on that?
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #47
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,528, Level 98
Points: 27,528, Level: 98 Points: 27,528, Level: 98 Points: 27,528, Level: 98
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Processed foods are what I'm trying to avoid. It's difficult to purchase everything locally- true. The veggies that come on the truck are at least a week old already, but what do you do? I'm also concentrating on avoiding MSG at all costs. I think I wrote earlier about my mother's brain numbing experience with aspartame, and I have no doubt that claims about MSG are just as truthful as those about Aspartame. Honey is a good substitute, but you don't cook honey. For cooking there are beet sugars and agave sugar.

I still haven't gotten my juicer, so it's V8 for me. Just the old fashioned veggie juice, the "Fusion" stuff is mostly water and high fructose corn syrup. If I wanted that stuff, I'd just drink a Coke. I don't know if I wrote about my experience at Cargill Foods, but I watched a pigeon fly into a vat of gluten being stirred. Who knows if they threw out that batch, or just processed it like it was. I doubt that was the first time it happened. That plant makes high fructose corn syrup. These companies don't care about you or their employees. One part of the plant called the "Steep" had an acidic smell to it, and there's a lot of H2SO2 in the air. Everyone who worked in there more than 5 years had a mouth full of missing and blackened teeth. The food industry is no different than that oil processing plant that blew up a few years ago killing 50 people, and the cause was traced to lack of maintenance repairs. When someone dies, or something blows up, then it might get fixed- after they find the lowest priced contractor. Pigeons or rats in your Coke is your problem. If you don't believe it, they will pay the USDA and FDA to tell you that it's ok.

I'm glad everyone is interested. I hope this thread continues in the right direction. For a bit in the beginning I was starting to wonder if anyone read my definition of "diet". I know the vegetarian and vegan diet is not the best way to get everything the body needs, but I would like to learn some of their recipes. Especially good combinations of uncooked vegetables. The nutrients you get from uncooked veggies and cooked is very different. Even the nutrients in different prepared versions of some veggies is different- hummus for example, the dried chickpeas have tons more nutrients than canned chickpeas. It is well worth the wait to moisten the beans. Niacin is about 500x more, and that would account for why I read how Hummus prepared correctly might help your mood as much as prozac. One of the videos I watched talked about how a doctor linked niacin to positive moods, even so much that it could be used to avoid depression.

I'll be testing out that theory in a few days.

How about "superfoods"? These are foods that contain a large amount of nutrients and minerals essential to the body. Some are algae and seaweed, and others are eggs. There are beneficial regular foods, and spices. I really need to get on a list for this topic, as well as what vitamins produce X effect when taken in mass amounts.

The drug industry is interested in treating our sickness, not in preventing it. The doctors are no different either, and most are simply the lapdogs of the pharmaceutical industry. It's even illegal, and punishable to treat cancer in the USA with anything but chemotherapy, radiation treatment, or surgery!! Who is that law protecting?

Guys don't let me go off on that tangent. I can attack the industrial complex all day long- and that's where I work when I'm working. Thousands of other people around the country are in the same position- I never find one who disagrees. Anyway, I want to discuss what foods are best to eat, how to prepare, and so forth. No favoritism towards any specific diet (vegan, Atkins, etc), let's see what makes a good portion of the balance. Like I might be wrong in not eating much red meat. We tend to eat that about every 2 weeks. Most of the time it's fish and chicken- which I'm thinking we should drop back on the farm fattened chicken as I'm really wondering about it now that I've seen how it is done.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #48
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,528, Level 98
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Sorry about the typing too.... on some subjects I can type as fast as I think, so I get really long winded, and the ones like that are also really scatterbrained.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2011, 12:55 PM   #49
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Points 27,528, Level 98
Level Up 18% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricAL View Post
Has anybody done any research on the acid-base balance in the body? I recall reading that some of our health woes are in part due to over-acidity and that it is healthful to eat more foods that increase the body's alkalinity? Anybody got any scoops on that?
Yes that jives with the Gerson therapy. It was researched by others, but the Gerson diet already followed those points. What I think is so interesting about the Gerson diet or similar things, is how quickly and efficiently the body absorbs the nutrients. I should have a juicer as well as some books, but I'm wondering if I'll ever have the money I'd need to follow the diet.

Neither my wife or I have serious illnesses, but I have noticed I'm getting rather stupid. I don't even smoke weed like I did when I was younger, so why do I feel so dumb? At least back then I had an acceptable excuse. Since I know the experiment linked to proving weed caused brain damage was the death of a monkey who had smoke made from one ounce of weed pumped through a gas mask to him, and those obvious flaws prove nothing empirical in my opinion. Plus I know doctors, lawyers, and businessmen who smoke more than I do, and aren't dumb. Anyway, I think there's a more common reason for my mental decay than prior drug use, and that's the nutrients I receive from food.

Quote:
Old 01-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #50
ElectricAL
Focus Addict

Fan#: 71376
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ST

FF Reputation: 2 ElectricAL Good Standing Member
^^ It brings up an interesting point... has anyone tried any of those "brainsmart cocktails?" I'm not talking about Ginkgo Biloba but one of the products that has put a bunch of ingredients together to work synergistically? Neurostin (sp?) is one such product, Procera is another...

I catch the ads every once in a while and I'm tempted to call...

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.